Nov 30, 2013, 4:25 PM EDT
Italian Dominik Paris upset Norwegian Aksel Lund Svindal in the first World Cup downhill race of the season at Lake Louise, Alberta, on Saturday.
Paris, 24, completed the course in 1 minute, 49.90 seconds, which was .03 better than Austrian Klaus Kroell. France’s Adrien Theaux was third, followed by Svindal in fourth.
Paris is one of the world’s best downhill racers. He’s the reigning World Championships silver medalist, was third in last year’s World Cup standings and won two World Cup downhills last season.
But Svindal was considered the man to beat in Lake Louise, given he’s the reigning world champion, World Cup champion and won both speed races at the Canadian track last year.
Bode Miller finished 16th, the top American, in his first downhill race after sitting out all of last season following knee surgery. Miller, 36, is the most decorated active U.S. Winter Olympian with five medals.
“Bode’s result was OK,” U.S. Ski Team coach Sasha Rearick said, according to a press release. “He made some mistakes in a few critical spots, and that cost him some time. In general though, I’m happy with the progression he’s made after missing all of last season.”
Ted Ligety, who won three gold medals at the World Championships in February, did not ski Saturday. Ligety has said he plans to enter every Alpine skiing event except the downhill at the Sochi Olympics.
The Lake Louise World Cup stop concludes with a super-G on Sunday at 1 p.m. ET on Universal Sports.
Lake Louise Downhill
1. Dominik Paris (ITA) 1:49.90
2. Klaus Kroell (AUT) 1:49.93
3. Adrien Theaux (FRA) 1:50.01
4. Aksel Lund Svindal (NOR) 1:50.13
5. Johan Clarey (FRA) 1:50.64
6. Georg Streitberger (AUT) 1:50.93
7. Werner Heel (ITA) 1:50.94
8. Erik Guay (CAN) 1:50.98
9. Max Franz (AUT) 1:51.00
10. Carlo Janka (SUI) 1:51.14
16. Bode Miller (USA) 1:51.29
19. Steven Nyman (USA) 1:51.55
24. Travis Ganong (USA) 1:51.80
26. Erik Fisher (USA) 1:51.86
38. Marco Sullivan (USA) 1:52.75
52. Jared Goldberg (USA) 1:53.86
DNF. Andrew Weibrecht (USA)
Sep 19, 2014, 8:49 AM EDT
There was concern Olympic host nation wouldn’t be able to qualify in hockey.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 AM EDT
Olympic medalist skater could be called in for later hearing.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Three-time Olympian rides into retirement by entering history books.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT
Work expected to finish in the first half of 2016.
Sep 18, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
NBC Olympics analyst hands out athlete of the year honors and more.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Russian Olympic champion gave birth to daughter in June.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Can U.S. win second straight team title despite injuries, absences?
Sep 17, 2014, 3:38 PM EDT
Canadian from memorable 2002 Olympic pairs competition to coach NHL players.
Sep 17, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Olympic halfpipe champion is focused on two competitions this season.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
Curling is the first Winter Olympic sport to have a sculpture in the Olympic Museum park.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT
World record holder, now 40, could enter two more major marathons.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT
Two-time Olympic champion runs five or six times per week.
Sep 17, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Two-time Olympic halfpipe champion “more poised” for slopestyle success in 2018.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:41 AM EDT
Jones posted she had “flashbacks of the three Olympics and that people constantly tease me about.”
Sep 16, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT
More than 7.5 million tickets will be available for the Games.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT
German star suffered torn ACL.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT
Shuko Uchimura hadn’t competed in some 30 years, according to Japanese report.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:39 AM EDT
Olympic 200m free champion going back to France.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
“The city is the Olympic park,” official tells Boston Globe.
Sep 15, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT
Osmond won Olympic silver in the Sochi team event.
- Ato Boldon’s track and field season awards 1
- Analyzing the U.S. gymnastics women’s World Championships team 0
- Shaun White ‘more motivated’ to compete than before Sochi 0
- Lolo Jones eliminated from ‘Dancing with the Stars’ 6
- Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps hope to meet for first time before Olympic farewell 0
- What U.S.’ FIBA World Cup title means for Olympics 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ Nike contract terminated 6
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)