Nov 30, 2013, 4:25 PM EDT
Italian Dominik Paris upset Norwegian Aksel Lund Svindal in the first World Cup downhill race of the season at Lake Louise, Alberta, on Saturday.
Paris, 24, completed the course in 1 minute, 49.90 seconds, which was .03 better than Austrian Klaus Kroell. France’s Adrien Theaux was third, followed by Svindal in fourth.
Paris is one of the world’s best downhill racers. He’s the reigning World Championships silver medalist, was third in last year’s World Cup standings and won two World Cup downhills last season.
But Svindal was considered the man to beat in Lake Louise, given he’s the reigning world champion, World Cup champion and won both speed races at the Canadian track last year.
Bode Miller finished 16th, the top American, in his first downhill race after sitting out all of last season following knee surgery. Miller, 36, is the most decorated active U.S. Winter Olympian with five medals.
“Bode’s result was OK,” U.S. Ski Team coach Sasha Rearick said, according to a press release. “He made some mistakes in a few critical spots, and that cost him some time. In general though, I’m happy with the progression he’s made after missing all of last season.”
Ted Ligety, who won three gold medals at the World Championships in February, did not ski Saturday. Ligety has said he plans to enter every Alpine skiing event except the downhill at the Sochi Olympics.
The Lake Louise World Cup stop concludes with a super-G on Sunday at 1 p.m. ET on Universal Sports.
Lake Louise Downhill
1. Dominik Paris (ITA) 1:49.90
2. Klaus Kroell (AUT) 1:49.93
3. Adrien Theaux (FRA) 1:50.01
4. Aksel Lund Svindal (NOR) 1:50.13
5. Johan Clarey (FRA) 1:50.64
6. Georg Streitberger (AUT) 1:50.93
7. Werner Heel (ITA) 1:50.94
8. Erik Guay (CAN) 1:50.98
9. Max Franz (AUT) 1:51.00
10. Carlo Janka (SUI) 1:51.14
16. Bode Miller (USA) 1:51.29
19. Steven Nyman (USA) 1:51.55
24. Travis Ganong (USA) 1:51.80
26. Erik Fisher (USA) 1:51.86
38. Marco Sullivan (USA) 1:52.75
52. Jared Goldberg (USA) 1:53.86
DNF. Andrew Weibrecht (USA)
Sep 2, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
Olympic champ figure skater yet to make official decision, but shows which way he is leaning.
Sep 2, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
Would he rather race fast cars or cheetahs?
Sep 2, 2014, 7:41 AM EDT
Schild won silver behind Shiffrin in Sochi and is one of her idols.
Sep 1, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Lewis joins staff with two other Olympic sprint medalists.
Sep 1, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Germany is the latest rival to a potential U.S. Olympic bid in 2024.
Sep 1, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Seven from Nigeria, two from Sierra Leone out due to Uzbekistan’s restrictions.
Sep 1, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
Olympic silver medalist swam three days after suffering allergic reaction to jellyfish sting.
Aug 30, 2014, 5:27 PM EDT
American overcame a 69-second deficit, passing 19 women on the 10km run to cap dominating season.
Aug 29, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT
Olympic champion cites “medical reasons” hours before weigh-in.
Aug 29, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Statistically, the U.S. might be better off not winning in Spain in the Olympic scope.
Aug 29, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
Olympic champion missed 2013 Worlds after knee surgery.
Aug 29, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
An accountant five years ago, triathlete is dominating after Olympic disappointment.
Aug 28, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
Allyson Felix, David Rudisha beaten in first of two Diamond League finals meets.
Aug 28, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Steen and Peder Mondrup completed the Ironman Copenhagen in 15 hours.
Aug 28, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT
Olympic Flag handed over to Buenos Aires, host of 2018 Youth Olympics.
Aug 28, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT
Officials looking for 70,000 people over the Olympics and Paralympics.
Aug 27, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
Chinese basketball star also updates on what he’s been doing in retirement.
Aug 27, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
IOC president sits down with Lewis Johnson at Youth Olympics.
Aug 27, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
How can we apply the results looking ahead to the Rio Olympics?
Aug 27, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Diamond Races up for grabs, plus Gay vs. Powell in the 100m.
- Evan Lysacek: ‘My career is coming to an end’ 0
- Usain Bolt takes on all questions in India 0
- Haley Anderson wins Pan Pacs open-water 10K by .01 after jellyfish sting, move to Maui 0
- Gwen Jorgensen wins World Championship in triathlon 0
- How the FIBA World Cup impacts the Olympics 0
- Gwen Jorgensen’s glory awaits in Edmonton 0
- Tyson Gay last place in Zurich; Jenny Simpson leads U.S. winners (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)