Nov 30, 2013, 4:25 PM EDT
Italian Dominik Paris upset Norwegian Aksel Lund Svindal in the first World Cup downhill race of the season at Lake Louise, Alberta, on Saturday.
Paris, 24, completed the course in 1 minute, 49.90 seconds, which was .03 better than Austrian Klaus Kroell. France’s Adrien Theaux was third, followed by Svindal in fourth.
Paris is one of the world’s best downhill racers. He’s the reigning World Championships silver medalist, was third in last year’s World Cup standings and won two World Cup downhills last season.
But Svindal was considered the man to beat in Lake Louise, given he’s the reigning world champion, World Cup champion and won both speed races at the Canadian track last year.
Bode Miller finished 16th, the top American, in his first downhill race after sitting out all of last season following knee surgery. Miller, 36, is the most decorated active U.S. Winter Olympian with five medals.
“Bode’s result was OK,” U.S. Ski Team coach Sasha Rearick said, according to a press release. “He made some mistakes in a few critical spots, and that cost him some time. In general though, I’m happy with the progression he’s made after missing all of last season.”
Ted Ligety, who won three gold medals at the World Championships in February, did not ski Saturday. Ligety has said he plans to enter every Alpine skiing event except the downhill at the Sochi Olympics.
The Lake Louise World Cup stop concludes with a super-G on Sunday at 1 p.m. ET on Universal Sports.
Lake Louise Downhill
1. Dominik Paris (ITA) 1:49.90
2. Klaus Kroell (AUT) 1:49.93
3. Adrien Theaux (FRA) 1:50.01
4. Aksel Lund Svindal (NOR) 1:50.13
5. Johan Clarey (FRA) 1:50.64
6. Georg Streitberger (AUT) 1:50.93
7. Werner Heel (ITA) 1:50.94
8. Erik Guay (CAN) 1:50.98
9. Max Franz (AUT) 1:51.00
10. Carlo Janka (SUI) 1:51.14
16. Bode Miller (USA) 1:51.29
19. Steven Nyman (USA) 1:51.55
24. Travis Ganong (USA) 1:51.80
26. Erik Fisher (USA) 1:51.86
38. Marco Sullivan (USA) 1:52.75
52. Jared Goldberg (USA) 1:53.86
DNF. Andrew Weibrecht (USA)
Apr 24, 2015, 3:51 PM EDT
Several Olympic champions are in the fields at the two meets.
Apr 24, 2015, 3:50 PM EDT
Phelps has followed Bowman to an NCAA stop before.
Apr 24, 2015, 12:24 PM EDT
Biles is in the middle of a four-month break from competition.
Apr 24, 2015, 11:09 AM EDT
Sweeney and Team USA begin World Championship play Sunday.
Apr 24, 2015, 10:26 AM EDT
NBC’s figure skating analysts will be visible daily during Kentucky Derby week.
Apr 24, 2015, 10:08 AM EDT
“I feel like he let me down, and he let the sport down.”
Apr 23, 2015, 4:51 PM EDT
But he also shares the sentiment of Bud Selig on MLB participation.
Apr 23, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
Doug wasn’t allowed to bobsled while filming, but he recently took his first run.
Apr 23, 2015, 12:29 PM EDT
“It depends who you ask,” Keflezighi said of the U.S. Olympic Trials favorite.
Apr 23, 2015, 9:02 AM EDT
Two Olympic champions appear headed for a second Olympics, while a World champion seeks a first Olympic berth.
Apr 22, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT
Wylie had a “heart abnormality while exercising,” his wife said.
Apr 22, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT
Comaneci, the subject of a Katie Holmes-directed documentary, discussed current gymnastics topics.
Apr 22, 2015, 12:21 PM EDT
U.S. Olympic marathon and figure skating medalists are also in the group.
Apr 22, 2015, 11:48 AM EDT
Included are some potential U.S.-Brazil duels.
Apr 22, 2015, 9:11 AM EDT
Sweden scrapped a bid for 2022, and a joint Norway-Sweden bid has also been proposed.
Apr 21, 2015, 3:51 PM EDT
Michelle Kwan, Meryl Davis, Evan Lysacek and more Olympians tell their memorable stories.
Apr 21, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT
Vonn also discussed her prize cows and Tiger Woods.
Apr 21, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
The inspirational Maickel Melamed needed 20 hours to finish.
Apr 21, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Andrea Karl didn’t break the tape on marathon day because another runner jumped on the course late in the race.
Apr 21, 2015, 9:03 AM EDT
Leveaux said in a book that team members used cocaine.
- Michael Phelps to move to Arizona with coach Bob Bowman 0
- Simone Biles discusses Martha Karolyi’s team selfie, U.S. teammates, more 0
- Usain Bolt: Tyson Gay’s reduced ban ‘the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard’ 0
- Doug E. Doug reflects on ‘Cool Runnings’ 0
- Nadia Comaneci: Simone Biles’ difficulty is almost equal to men 0
- Ten sports where Brazil can win medals at Rio 2016 0
- Figure skaters recall odd gifts from fans 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)