Nov 30, 2013, 4:25 PM EDT
Italian Dominik Paris upset Norwegian Aksel Lund Svindal in the first World Cup downhill race of the season at Lake Louise, Alberta, on Saturday.
Paris, 24, completed the course in 1 minute, 49.90 seconds, which was .03 better than Austrian Klaus Kroell. France’s Adrien Theaux was third, followed by Svindal in fourth.
Paris is one of the world’s best downhill racers. He’s the reigning World Championships silver medalist, was third in last year’s World Cup standings and won two World Cup downhills last season.
But Svindal was considered the man to beat in Lake Louise, given he’s the reigning world champion, World Cup champion and won both speed races at the Canadian track last year.
Bode Miller finished 16th, the top American, in his first downhill race after sitting out all of last season following knee surgery. Miller, 36, is the most decorated active U.S. Winter Olympian with five medals.
“Bode’s result was OK,” U.S. Ski Team coach Sasha Rearick said, according to a press release. “He made some mistakes in a few critical spots, and that cost him some time. In general though, I’m happy with the progression he’s made after missing all of last season.”
Ted Ligety, who won three gold medals at the World Championships in February, did not ski Saturday. Ligety has said he plans to enter every Alpine skiing event except the downhill at the Sochi Olympics.
The Lake Louise World Cup stop concludes with a super-G on Sunday at 1 p.m. ET on Universal Sports.
Lake Louise Downhill
1. Dominik Paris (ITA) 1:49.90
2. Klaus Kroell (AUT) 1:49.93
3. Adrien Theaux (FRA) 1:50.01
4. Aksel Lund Svindal (NOR) 1:50.13
5. Johan Clarey (FRA) 1:50.64
6. Georg Streitberger (AUT) 1:50.93
7. Werner Heel (ITA) 1:50.94
8. Erik Guay (CAN) 1:50.98
9. Max Franz (AUT) 1:51.00
10. Carlo Janka (SUI) 1:51.14
16. Bode Miller (USA) 1:51.29
19. Steven Nyman (USA) 1:51.55
24. Travis Ganong (USA) 1:51.80
26. Erik Fisher (USA) 1:51.86
38. Marco Sullivan (USA) 1:52.75
52. Jared Goldberg (USA) 1:53.86
DNF. Andrew Weibrecht (USA)
Jul 27, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT
The three-time Olympic champion hasn’t played since dislocating a shoulder July 10.
Jul 27, 2015, 4:36 PM EDT
Steve Guerdat’s provisional ban was announced last Tuesday.
Jul 27, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT
The 2024 bid race is down to four cities.
Jul 27, 2015, 1:59 PM EDT
Hernandez’s history with BMX dates to the womb.
Jul 27, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT
Public support in Boston and Massachusetts has been less than 50 percent for months.
Jul 27, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT
“Why does it feel good, after running, to pour a bottle of water over your head?”
Jul 27, 2015, 8:48 AM EDT
The Rio Games open less than two weeks after the 2016 Tour de France ends.
Jul 27, 2015, 8:18 AM EDT
The U.S. can achieve an Olympic first in Rio de Janeiro next year.
Jul 27, 2015, 7:36 AM EDT
May is a 36-year-old Cirque du Soleil performer who came out of a 10-year retirement.
Jul 27, 2015, 7:04 AM EDT
WIlimovsky won the World Championships 10km.
Jul 26, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT
Brazil’s coach has said Neymar’s Olympic participation is dependent on talks with Barcelona.
Jul 26, 2015, 2:34 PM EDT
More highlights from Phelps’ Q&A at the Doha Goals Forum.
Jul 25, 2015, 11:59 PM EDT
Next up are the P&G Championships in three weeks.
Jul 25, 2015, 7:06 PM EDT
Wu is the second athlete to make the 2016 U.S. Olympic team across all sports.
Jul 25, 2015, 7:43 AM EDT
“She is as dominant as any athlete in any sport,” USA Gymnastics president Steve Penny said.
Jul 24, 2015, 7:09 PM EDT
Johnson is at least the fourth member of the 2008 U.S. Olympic women’s gymnastics team to get engaged.
Jul 24, 2015, 5:22 PM EDT
Less than a month until a showdown with Justin Gatlin at the World Championships.
Jul 24, 2015, 11:41 AM EDT
“I know for a fact I would beat her in boxing. That’s simple. But MMA?”
Jul 24, 2015, 9:26 AM EDT
The emblem is based on three words.
Jul 23, 2015, 10:24 PM EDT
Bolt was also asked if an athlete who has been caught cheating twice is worthy of breaking his world record.
- Boston ends bid for 2024 Olympics; USOC wants another city 3
- Boston mayor: Olympic bid won’t go forward if forced to sign contract today 3
- Neymar: I told Barcelona I want to play in Rio Olympics 1
- Michael Phelps: I’ve looked at my 22 medals together once or twice 0
- Simone Biles routs Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman at Secret Classic 2
- Usain Bolt returns with quick 100m wins in London 1
- Usain Bolt: Justin Gatlin won’t break my world record 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)