Nov 30, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
U.S. speed skaters were spectacular on fast North American ice to start the World Cup season, but how they fared on slower European ice, beginning this weekend, would offer a more accurate gauge of their Olympic prospects.
Brittany Bowe and Shani Davis continued to win in Astana, Kazakhstan, on Saturday.
The four-time Olympic medalist Davis took a 1000m in 1 minute, 8.66 seconds, beating surprise Italian Mirko Giacomo Nenzi by .24 of a second. Nenzi had never before finished in the top 10 of a World Cup 1000m. The race was missing Davis’ top competition so far this season, the Netherlands’ Kjeld Nuis and American Brian Hansen.
Davis won his third straight 1000m to start the season. He could become the first U.S. man to win a single Winter Olympic event three straight times if he captures the 1000m in Sochi.
Davis was fifth in the 1500m on Friday after taking second and first at the first two 1500m races of the season in Calgary, Alberta, and Salt Lake City, Utah.
Bowe won the 1500m in 1:57.28, nearly five seconds slower than her silver medal-winning time on fast Salt Lake City ice two weeks ago. The Floridian had finished 10th and 11th in earlier 500m races Friday and Saturday.
It must be noted that Bowe beat a field that did not include any woman who had made a World Cup or World Championships 1500m podium in the last two years.
South Korean world record holder Lee Sang-Hwa won her sixth straight 500m, in 37.32, to open the season, while world sprint champion Heather Richardson took fifth.
Russians Artyom Kuznetsov and Dmitry Lobkov went one-two in the men’s 500m, separated by .01 of a second. Two-time U.S. Olympian Tucker Fredricks was sixth.
The Astana World Cup concludes Sunday.
Astana Day 2
Women’s 500m — Race 2
1. Lee Sang-Hwa (KOR) — 37.32
2. Jenny Wolf (GER) — 37.66
3. Olga Fatkulina (RUS) — 37.81
5. Heather Richardson (USA) — 38.01
11. Brittany Bowe (USA) — 38.47
12. Lauren Cholewinski (USA) — 38.53
14. Elli Ochowicz (USA) — 38.60
Men’s 500m — Race 1
1. Artyom Kuznetsov (RUS) — 34.85
2. Dmitry Lobkov (RUS) — 34.86
3. Ronald Mulder (NED) — 34.87
6. Tucker Fredricks (USA) — 35.02
10. Mitchell Whitmore (USA) — 35.11
1. Brittany Bowe (USA) — 1:57.28
2. Yuliya Skokova (RUS) — 1:57.70
3. Brittany Schussler (CAN) — 1:57.78
10. Jilleanne Rookard (USA) — 1:59.17
1. Shani Davis (USA) — 1:08.66
2. Mirko Giacomo Nenzi (ITA) — 1:08.90
3. Michel Mulder (NED) — 1:09.02
13. Trevor Marsicano (USA) — 1:09.94
14. Mitchell Whitmore (USA) — 1:10.05
Oct 24, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Austrian eyes history, while Ted Ligety, Bode Miller look to fill resume holes.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:42 AM EDT
New rule allows women to compete in four-man bobsled this year.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:11 PM EDT
Sochi disappointment gave Davis a deeper appreciation for past success going into post-Olympic season.
Oct 23, 2014, 3:14 PM EDT
Felix came back from torn hamstring to post the fastest 200m time since the London Olympics.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
Several U.S. Olympians dot the field in Grand Prix series opener.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
Pistorius is banned from competing during his sentence, even if not in jail, by Paralympic and South African Olympic Committees.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
Expect to see more of Mikaela Shiffrin and Lindsey Vonn than last year, but neither appears a threat to the world’s best overall skier.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:49 AM EDT
Kosovo, which gained independence from Serbia in 2008, could field an Olympic delegation for the first time in 2016.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT
Gardner’s Olympic medals were sold last year.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
Olympic ski slopestyle champion also needed rabies shots after dog bite.
Oct 22, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
Kosovo has never competed at the Olympics as an independent nation.
Oct 22, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT
Vincenzo Nibali, Chris Froome, Alberto Contador have mixed opinions.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:09 AM EDT
Team will make its season debut with Skate America this weekend.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
Zubkov, 40, had already said he wouldn’t compete this season.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
Tarmoh was part of the infamous tie at the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT
Kosovo has yet to field a delegation at the Olympics.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
Film documenting Missy Franklin’s lead-up to London debuts next month.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Cejudo pulled out of his original debut Aug. 30.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Eight members of 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team will conduct spring event.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
Red Bull video shows skiers in LED lights at night in Alaska.
- Alpine skiing men’s World Cup preview 0
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski preview Skate America 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ agent seeks prison meeting to discuss running future 0
- Alpine skiing women’s World Cup preview 0
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski, Terry Gannon named NBC’s lead figure skating announcers 0
- Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison 4
- The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)