Lindsey Vonn will test knee on snow this week (TODAY video)

Nov 27, 2013, 8:04 AM EDT

Olympic downhill champion Lindsey Vonn is “very hopeful” about coming back from last week’s training crash but will have a better gauge on when she can return to competition later this week.

“I’ve been doing rehab, and I’ve been progressing every day, but in the next couple of days I’m going to start to get on snow here at Vail [Colo.] and see how it feels and hopefully get a couple of days of training before I head up to Canada,” Vonn told TODAY. “If things go well, I’ll be racing next week. If they don’t, then I’m going to have to reassess and kind of see where I stand and if I can make a comeback for this season.”

Vonn partially tore her right ACL in a training crash in Copper Mountain, Colo., on Nov. 19. It’s the same ACL she blew out in a crash at the World Championships in Schladming, Austria, in February.

“It was kind of a tricky course,” Vonn said of last week’s crash. “I caught my edge, flipped over my skis and went head first into the fence.”

A statement from her publicist last week said Vonn has “an eye at racing in Lake Louise,” which is next week’s World Cup stop in Alberta at a course she’s been known to dominate. The next World Cup speed events after that are in St. Moritz, Switzerland (Dec. 14, super-G) and Val d’Isere, France (Dec. 21-22, downhill, super-G).

“The fall caused my knee to give out,” she said. “If I hadn’t had my brace on, I definitely would not have had anything left in my knee. … I’m still confident. I still feel like I have a lot left to achieve this season, I just have to kind of take it day by day right now, but I still have time before Sochi.”

A photo was posted on Vonn’s social media accounts of her working out with tape on her right knee Tuesday.

“I just need to feel stable when I’m on my skis,” she said. “It’s one thing to feel stable while you’re doing squats. It’s another thing to feel stable while you’re actually racing at 90 miles an hour. There definitely is a long ways to go there, but I’m confident that it’s going to be OK. At this point, that’s all I can do — is stay positive. I’m kind of out of options at this point. I’m hoping that it’s going to be stable, and I’m hoping that I continue racing.”

U.S. Ski Team coach describes Vonn’s crash