Lindsey Vonn will test knee on snow this week (TODAY video)

Nov 27, 2013, 8:04 AM EDT

Olympic downhill champion Lindsey Vonn is “very hopeful” about coming back from last week’s training crash but will have a better gauge on when she can return to competition later this week.

“I’ve been doing rehab, and I’ve been progressing every day, but in the next couple of days I’m going to start to get on snow here at Vail [Colo.] and see how it feels and hopefully get a couple of days of training before I head up to Canada,” Vonn told TODAY. “If things go well, I’ll be racing next week. If they don’t, then I’m going to have to reassess and kind of see where I stand and if I can make a comeback for this season.”

Vonn partially tore her right ACL in a training crash in Copper Mountain, Colo., on Nov. 19. It’s the same ACL she blew out in a crash at the World Championships in Schladming, Austria, in February.

“It was kind of a tricky course,” Vonn said of last week’s crash. “I caught my edge, flipped over my skis and went head first into the fence.”

A statement from her publicist last week said Vonn has “an eye at racing in Lake Louise,” which is next week’s World Cup stop in Alberta at a course she’s been known to dominate. The next World Cup speed events after that are in St. Moritz, Switzerland (Dec. 14, super-G) and Val d’Isere, France (Dec. 21-22, downhill, super-G).

“The fall caused my knee to give out,” she said. “If I hadn’t had my brace on, I definitely would not have had anything left in my knee. … I’m still confident. I still feel like I have a lot left to achieve this season, I just have to kind of take it day by day right now, but I still have time before Sochi.”

A photo was posted on Vonn’s social media accounts of her working out with tape on her right knee Tuesday.

“I just need to feel stable when I’m on my skis,” she said. “It’s one thing to feel stable while you’re doing squats. It’s another thing to feel stable while you’re actually racing at 90 miles an hour. There definitely is a long ways to go there, but I’m confident that it’s going to be OK. At this point, that’s all I can do — is stay positive. I’m kind of out of options at this point. I’m hoping that it’s going to be stable, and I’m hoping that I continue racing.”

U.S. Ski Team coach describes Vonn’s crash

Latest Posts
  1. Ryan Lochte inspired by Michael Phelps’ return (video)

Apr 23, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT

Ryan Lochte, Michael Phelps Getty Images

Lochte said he almost didn’t come back to swimming after knee injury.

2. Michael Phelps ready to start ‘journey’ in comeback meet

Apr 23, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT

Michael Phelps Getty Images

Phelps says he gained 30 pounds in retirement but has shed most of it in training.

3. Michael Phelps no longer sponsored by Speedo

Apr 23, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT

Michael Phelps Getty Images

Phelps’ contract with Speedo ran out at the end of 2013 after a 12-year run.

4. Another Michael set to make splash at Mesa Grand Prix

Apr 23, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT

Michael Phelps, Michael Andrew Courtesy Tina Andrew

Michael Andrew, 15, turned pro last year and has been drawing comparisons to Michael Phelps.

5. Michael Phelps’ comeback at Mesa Grand Prix competition, broadcast schedules

Apr 23, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT

Michael Phelps AP

When to watch Michael Phelps’ return to competition.

6. Meb Keflezighi congratulated by President Obama

Apr 22, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT

Meb Keflezighi AP

How Keflezighi spent the morning after his upset victory.

7. Ryan Hall, other U.S. runners wouldn’t help East Africans catch Meb Keflezighi

Apr 22, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT

Ryan Hall, Meb Keflezighi AP

Americans’ tactic played small role in Keflezighi’s victory.

8. Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski added to NBC’s Kentucky Derby coverage

Apr 22, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT

Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski Getty Images

Sochi figure skating analysts will be fashion experts at Churchill Downs.

9. Apolo Ohno plans to do Ironman World Championships

Apr 22, 2014, 10:11 AM EDT

Apolo Anton Ohno AP

Ohno follows NFL wide receiver, celebrity chef in ambitious attempt.

10. Lance Armstrong’s longtime team manager banned 10 years

Apr 22, 2014, 8:21 AM EDT

Johan Bruyneel AP

Johan Bruyneel guided Lance Armstrong’s teams for all seven stripped Tour de France wins.

11. Emotions flow for runners, spectators at Boston Marathon

Apr 21, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT

Boston Strong AP

“I needed it for healing,” one survivor said.

12. Meb Keflezighi stuns to win Boston Marathon (video)

Apr 21, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

Meb Keflezighi AP

First U.S. man to win Boston Marathon since 1983.

13. 2014 Boston Marathon highlights: American Meb Keflezighi, Kenya’s Rita Jeptoo win (VIDEO)

Apr 21, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT

2014 B.A.A. Boston Marathon Getty Images

Meb Keflezighi made history on an emotional day at the 2014 Boston Marathon by becoming the first American man to win the race since 1983. Watch highlights of the 38-year-old Keflezighi’s victory here, courtesy of Universal Sports: Keflezighi reacts to his historic win and the emotion of winning one year after the Boston Marathon bombing,…

14. Rita Jeptoo repeats as Boston Marathon winner in course record

Apr 21, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT

Rita Jeptoo Getty Images

Shalane Flanagan led early but was dropped around 21 miles.

15. Tatyana McFadden wins another Boston Marathon on special day

Apr 21, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT

Tatyana McFadden AP

Paralympic champion prevails one month after winning silver in Sochi.

16. Security heightened early at Boston Marathon

Apr 21, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT

Boston Marathon AP

Double the police presence from last year.

17. Tedy Bruschi, retired NFL player, running Boston Marathon

Apr 21, 2014, 9:38 AM EDT

Tedy Bruschi Getty Images

Former linebacker ran in 2012 and saw the first bomb from a hotel last year.

18. Boston Marathon starts after moment of silence

Apr 21, 2014, 9:07 AM EDT

Boston Strong

Race starts by honoring those lost and those who saved at last year’s race.

19. Boston Marathon finish line web cam available online

Apr 19, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT

Boston Marathon finish line Getty Images

Watch every runner cross the finish line on Monday.

20. Ryan Hall returns to marathon racing in Boston, by way of Ethiopia

Apr 19, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT

Ryan Hall Getty Images

Two-time Olympian hasn’t run a marathon since the London Games.

Inside Michael Phelps' comeback