Lindsey Vonn will test knee on snow this week (TODAY video)

Nov 27, 2013, 8:04 AM EDT

Olympic downhill champion Lindsey Vonn is “very hopeful” about coming back from last week’s training crash but will have a better gauge on when she can return to competition later this week.

“I’ve been doing rehab, and I’ve been progressing every day, but in the next couple of days I’m going to start to get on snow here at Vail [Colo.] and see how it feels and hopefully get a couple of days of training before I head up to Canada,” Vonn told TODAY. “If things go well, I’ll be racing next week. If they don’t, then I’m going to have to reassess and kind of see where I stand and if I can make a comeback for this season.”

Vonn partially tore her right ACL in a training crash in Copper Mountain, Colo., on Nov. 19. It’s the same ACL she blew out in a crash at the World Championships in Schladming, Austria, in February.

“It was kind of a tricky course,” Vonn said of last week’s crash. “I caught my edge, flipped over my skis and went head first into the fence.”

A statement from her publicist last week said Vonn has “an eye at racing in Lake Louise,” which is next week’s World Cup stop in Alberta at a course she’s been known to dominate. The next World Cup speed events after that are in St. Moritz, Switzerland (Dec. 14, super-G) and Val d’Isere, France (Dec. 21-22, downhill, super-G).

“The fall caused my knee to give out,” she said. “If I hadn’t had my brace on, I definitely would not have had anything left in my knee. … I’m still confident. I still feel like I have a lot left to achieve this season, I just have to kind of take it day by day right now, but I still have time before Sochi.”

A photo was posted on Vonn’s social media accounts of her working out with tape on her right knee Tuesday.

“I just need to feel stable when I’m on my skis,” she said. “It’s one thing to feel stable while you’re doing squats. It’s another thing to feel stable while you’re actually racing at 90 miles an hour. There definitely is a long ways to go there, but I’m confident that it’s going to be OK. At this point, that’s all I can do — is stay positive. I’m kind of out of options at this point. I’m hoping that it’s going to be stable, and I’m hoping that I continue racing.”

U.S. Ski Team coach describes Vonn’s crash

Latest Posts
  1. U.S. crushes Russia in Sochi rematch at IPC World Sled Hockey Championship

Apr 27, 2015, 9:17 AM EDT

Josh Sweeney Getty Images

The U.S. is back on the ice on Monday night on NBC Sports Live Extra.

2. Japan ski jumper Noriaki Kasai wants to compete past age 50

Apr 27, 2015, 8:45 AM EDT

Noriaki Kasai Getty Images

The 2026 Olympics could be particularly meaningful for ski jumping’s old man.

3. Badminton star Lee Chong Wei receives backdated doping ban

Apr 27, 2015, 8:29 AM EDT

AP AP

Lee captured silver medals at the last two Olympics but was stripped of a World Championships medal.

4. London Marathon produces surprise men’s, women’s winners

Apr 26, 2015, 7:55 AM EDT

Eliud Kipchoge Getty Images

Also, Paula Radcliffe was interviewed by the BBC in the middle of her marathon farewell.

5. IPC Sled Hockey World Championship starts Sunday; full broadcast schedule

Apr 25, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT

Sled Hockey Getty Images

The U.S.’ first opponent marks a rematch of the Sochi gold-medal game.

6. Kirani James breaks Michael Johnson record at Drake Relays

Apr 25, 2015, 10:33 AM EDT

Kirani James AP

Only two men have ever run faster this early in the season.

7. Bruce Jenner: I’m a woman; Olympians react

Apr 25, 2015, 8:53 AM EDT

AP AP

Jenner explained how he felt different while winning the decathlon at the Montreal 1976 Olympics.

8. Watch Drake Relays, Penn Relays on NBC Sports Live Extra on Saturday

Apr 24, 2015, 3:51 PM EDT

Justin Gatlin Getty Images

Several Olympic champions are in the fields at the two meets.

9. Michael Phelps to move to Arizona with coach Bob Bowman

Apr 24, 2015, 3:50 PM EDT

AP AP

Phelps has followed Bowman to an NCAA stop before.

10. Simone Biles discusses Martha Karolyi’s team selfie, U.S. teammates, more

Apr 24, 2015, 12:24 PM EDT

AP AP

Biles is in the middle of a four-month break from competition.

11. Sled hockey helps Josh Sweeney in his recovery (video)

Apr 24, 2015, 11:09 AM EDT

Josh Sweeney Getty Images

Sweeney and Team USA begin World Championship play Sunday.

12. Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir headed to White House Correspondents’ Dinner, Kentucky Derby

Apr 24, 2015, 10:26 AM EDT

Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski Getty Images

NBC’s figure skating analysts will be visible daily during Kentucky Derby week.

13. New MLB commissioner wants long-term baseball pledge from Olympics

Apr 23, 2015, 4:51 PM EDT

AP AP

But he also shares the sentiment of Bud Selig on MLB participation.

14. Doug E. Doug reflects on ‘Cool Runnings’

Apr 23, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT

Doug E. Doug Getty Images

Doug wasn’t allowed to bobsled while filming, but he recently took his first run.

15. Meb Keflezighi hopes to be an example for Ryan Hall as Olympic trials approach

Apr 23, 2015, 12:29 PM EDT

AP AP

“It depends who you ask,” Keflezighi said of the U.S. Olympic Trials favorite.

16. U.S. Olympic Wrestling Trials to return to Iowa City

Apr 23, 2015, 9:02 AM EDT

Jordan Burroughs Getty Images

Two Olympic champions appear headed for a second Olympics, while a World champion seeks a first Olympic berth.

17. Paul Wylie ‘resting comfortably’ after heart problem

Apr 22, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT

Paul Wylie Getty Images

Wylie had a “heart abnormality while exercising,” his wife said.