Lindsey Vonn will test knee on snow this week (TODAY video)

Nov 27, 2013, 8:04 AM EST

Olympic downhill champion Lindsey Vonn is “very hopeful” about coming back from last week’s training crash but will have a better gauge on when she can return to competition later this week.

“I’ve been doing rehab, and I’ve been progressing every day, but in the next couple of days I’m going to start to get on snow here at Vail [Colo.] and see how it feels and hopefully get a couple of days of training before I head up to Canada,” Vonn told TODAY. “If things go well, I’ll be racing next week. If they don’t, then I’m going to have to reassess and kind of see where I stand and if I can make a comeback for this season.”

Vonn partially tore her right ACL in a training crash in Copper Mountain, Colo., on Nov. 19. It’s the same ACL she blew out in a crash at the World Championships in Schladming, Austria, in February.

“It was kind of a tricky course,” Vonn said of last week’s crash. “I caught my edge, flipped over my skis and went head first into the fence.”

A statement from her publicist last week said Vonn has “an eye at racing in Lake Louise,” which is next week’s World Cup stop in Alberta at a course she’s been known to dominate. The next World Cup speed events after that are in St. Moritz, Switzerland (Dec. 14, super-G) and Val d’Isere, France (Dec. 21-22, downhill, super-G).

“The fall caused my knee to give out,” she said. “If I hadn’t had my brace on, I definitely would not have had anything left in my knee. … I’m still confident. I still feel like I have a lot left to achieve this season, I just have to kind of take it day by day right now, but I still have time before Sochi.”

A photo was posted on Vonn’s social media accounts of her working out with tape on her right knee Tuesday.

“I just need to feel stable when I’m on my skis,” she said. “It’s one thing to feel stable while you’re doing squats. It’s another thing to feel stable while you’re actually racing at 90 miles an hour. There definitely is a long ways to go there, but I’m confident that it’s going to be OK. At this point, that’s all I can do — is stay positive. I’m kind of out of options at this point. I’m hoping that it’s going to be stable, and I’m hoping that I continue racing.”

U.S. Ski Team coach describes Vonn’s crash

Latest Posts
  1. NBC Sports, Universal to air unprecedented U.S. ski, snowboard coverage this season

Nov 26, 2014, 1:06 PM EST

Ted Ligety Getty Images

Full schedule of coverage across World Cups, Grand Prix events and World Championships.

2. U.S. figure skaters officially bronze medalists, 50 years later

Nov 26, 2014, 7:42 AM EST

Vivian Joseph, Ronald Joseph Getty Images

Sister-brother team had bronze medals, but the official results didn’t reflect that until Tuesday.

3. Katie Ledecky faces decisions in 2015, 2016

Nov 25, 2014, 10:46 AM EST

Katie Ledecky Getty Images

Scheduling conflicts, another new event?

4. Rio Olympic commemorative coins to be issued

Nov 25, 2014, 9:27 AM EST

Rio Olympic coins

Christ the Redeemer, Olympic motto honored on the coins.

5. Michael Phelps back in the pool; Phelps, Ledecky win Golden Goggles

Nov 24, 2014, 10:23 PM EST

Michael Phelps Getty Images

Phelps is working toward 2015 goals, a North Baltimore official said.

6. Pat Quinn, who coached Canada to gold in 2002, dies at 71

Nov 24, 2014, 11:25 AM EST

Pat Quinn Getty Images

Canada won its first men’s hockey Olympic gold in 50 years under Quinn.

7. Claressa Shields, Marlen Esparza win World Boxing Championships

Nov 24, 2014, 10:11 AM EST

Claressa Shields Getty Images

Olympic champion Shields was named the tournament’s best overall boxer.

8. Viktor Tikhonov, Soviet Union Olympic hockey coach, dies at 84

Nov 24, 2014, 9:17 AM EST

Viktor Tikhonov Getty Images

Tikhonov led the Soviets in the Miracle on Ice game.

9. Sun Yang failed drug test, served three-month ban

Nov 24, 2014, 8:42 AM EST

Sun Yang Getty Images

Sun tested positive for a substance he could have used legally if he filed paperwork with anti-doping officials.

10. Ted Ligety expected back shortly after wrist injury (video)

Nov 23, 2014, 8:38 PM EST

Ted Ligety

Video of how he suffered the injury was posted on Ligety’s social media.

11. Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard (video); Grand Prix Final picture

Nov 22, 2014, 4:24 PM EST

Maksim Kovtun Getty Images

It’s unlikely a U.S. man will qualify for the Grand Prix Final.

12. Renaud Lavillenie, Valerie Adams win IAAF Athlete of the Year awards

Nov 21, 2014, 3:10 PM EST

Renaud Lavillenie Getty Images

This year’s winners came from unprecedented nations and events.

13. Ashley Wagner trails, Denis Ten leads at Trophee Bompard (video)

Nov 21, 2014, 2:24 PM EST

Ashley Wagner AP

Wagner could match a Michelle Kwan feat at the French event.

14. Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed

Nov 21, 2014, 8:59 AM EST

Angelina Jolie, Louis Zamperini AP

“Unbroken” film about Olympian and World War II hero comes out on Christmas.

15. Table tennis player shoves over referee after loss (video)

Nov 20, 2014, 5:34 PM EST

Table Tennis

Young Dmitry Melnichenko lost the match, then lost his cool.

16. Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics

Nov 20, 2014, 4:57 PM EST

Joss Christensen Getty Images

Olympic ski slopestyle champion uses a chainsaw every day.