Lindsey Vonn will test knee on snow this week (TODAY video)

Nov 27, 2013, 8:04 AM EDT

Olympic downhill champion Lindsey Vonn is “very hopeful” about coming back from last week’s training crash but will have a better gauge on when she can return to competition later this week.

“I’ve been doing rehab, and I’ve been progressing every day, but in the next couple of days I’m going to start to get on snow here at Vail [Colo.] and see how it feels and hopefully get a couple of days of training before I head up to Canada,” Vonn told TODAY. “If things go well, I’ll be racing next week. If they don’t, then I’m going to have to reassess and kind of see where I stand and if I can make a comeback for this season.”

Vonn partially tore her right ACL in a training crash in Copper Mountain, Colo., on Nov. 19. It’s the same ACL she blew out in a crash at the World Championships in Schladming, Austria, in February.

“It was kind of a tricky course,” Vonn said of last week’s crash. “I caught my edge, flipped over my skis and went head first into the fence.”

A statement from her publicist last week said Vonn has “an eye at racing in Lake Louise,” which is next week’s World Cup stop in Alberta at a course she’s been known to dominate. The next World Cup speed events after that are in St. Moritz, Switzerland (Dec. 14, super-G) and Val d’Isere, France (Dec. 21-22, downhill, super-G).

“The fall caused my knee to give out,” she said. “If I hadn’t had my brace on, I definitely would not have had anything left in my knee. … I’m still confident. I still feel like I have a lot left to achieve this season, I just have to kind of take it day by day right now, but I still have time before Sochi.”

A photo was posted on Vonn’s social media accounts of her working out with tape on her right knee Tuesday.

“I just need to feel stable when I’m on my skis,” she said. “It’s one thing to feel stable while you’re doing squats. It’s another thing to feel stable while you’re actually racing at 90 miles an hour. There definitely is a long ways to go there, but I’m confident that it’s going to be OK. At this point, that’s all I can do — is stay positive. I’m kind of out of options at this point. I’m hoping that it’s going to be stable, and I’m hoping that I continue racing.”

U.S. Ski Team coach describes Vonn’s crash

Latest Posts
  1. Summer Sanders returns to run Boston Marathon again

Apr 16, 2014, 6:54 PM EDT

Summer Sanders

Olympic swimming champion finished 2013 race before explosions.

2. Nike, USA Track and Field extend partnership through 2040

Apr 16, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT

Ashton Eaton AP

Deal takes Nike, USATF through next seven Olympics.

3. Catching up with Bruce Jenner

Apr 16, 2014, 2:57 PM EDT

Bruce Jenner Getty Images

Decathlon champion talks Montreal 1976, Steve Prefontaine and the greatest athlete of all time.

4. Boston Marathon finish line security visibility increased after backpack incident

Apr 16, 2014, 11:31 AM EDT

Boston Marathon AP

Police commissioner asks spectators not to flock to Boylston Street on Monday.

5. Oscar Pistorius trial will take break for 2 weeks

Apr 16, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius AP

Judge will spend break reading 2,000-page court record.

6. ISU receives South Korea complaint over figure skating judging

Apr 16, 2014, 4:17 AM EDT

Yuna Kim Getty Images

Korea Skating Union is protesting the makeup of judges, not the results.

7. Boston Marathon tribute, moment of silence held near finish line

Apr 15, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT

Boston Marathon Bombing Anniversary AP

Survivors, first responders, those affected by attack take part in tribute.

8. Boston sports teams share same #BostonStrong tweet

Apr 15, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT

Boston Strong

Teams’ tweets sent at same time Tuesday morning.

9. Usain Bolt talks about foot injury, focus beyond 2014

Apr 15, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT

Usain Bolt Getty Images

World’s fastest man might not race again until June.

10. Can Michael Phelps excel in comeback?

Apr 15, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT

Michael Phelps AP

What is the competition like in Phelps’ potential events?

11. Oscar Pistorius’ cross-examination ends at murder trial

Apr 15, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius

Prosecution asks for break until May 5.

12. Boston Marathon tragedy remembered on anniversary

Apr 15, 2014, 8:16 AM EDT

Boston Marathon Reuters

Ceremony, moment of silence to honor, remember last year’s tragedy.

13. Catching up with Mark Henry

Apr 14, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT

Mark Henry Getty Images

‘World’s Strongest Man’ talks about nude photo shoot, pro wrestling career, meeting Andre the Giant.

14. Michael Phelps coming out of retirement

Apr 14, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT

Michael Phelps AP

Phelps announced as headliner for meet next week, ending two-year break.

15. How Michael Phelps spent his retirement (photos)

Apr 14, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT

Pele, Michael Phelps AP

22-time Olympic medalist expected to come out of retirement next week.

16. Update: One runner dies, another goes missing, found after London Marathon

Apr 14, 2014, 12:08 PM EDT

London Marathon

Woman who finished 20th found day after disappearing.

17. International Ski Federation defends slopestyle’s safety

Apr 14, 2014, 10:34 AM EDT

Alexey Sobolev Reuters

It’s too early to draw conclusions on Sochi, FIS official says.

18. Oscar Pistorius emotionally breaks down as prosecution alleges inconsistencies

Apr 14, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius

Pistorius hugged by woman as he enters court, signs autograph after Monday’s session.

19. Slopestyle’s injury rate too high for Olympics, IOC official says

Apr 13, 2014, 8:13 AM EDT

Shaun White Reuters

Ski and snowboard slopestyle’s injury rates highest among Sochi sports.

20. Boston Marathon details security near finish line

Apr 13, 2014, 7:56 AM EDT

Boston Marathon Reuters

More checkpoints, police officers along Boylston Street to the finish.

Inside Michael Phelps' comeback