Nov 25, 2013, 4:29 PM EDT
Jennifer Lawrence may have been trained by a five-time Olympic archer, but her form in a “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” film poster is not world class, says an up-and-coming British archer.
Becky Martin, 17, deconstructed Lawrence’s form in the poster seen on the right.
Martin is 22 years younger than Lawrence’s archery teacher, Georgian-born American Khatuna Lorig.
But Martin has credentials. She’s a World Cadet Championships gold medalist who made the round of 32 at the World Championships one month ago.
If the film’s protagonist Katniss Everdeen shot a bow and arrow like she did in the poster “it would really hurt her,” explains 17-year-old British gold medal archer Becky Martin. In the posters, Lawrence breaks one of the most basic rules in the sport – she puts her finger over the arrow. Firing in this position could rip a chunk out of her flesh.
Martin, who recently won gold in the World Cadet Championships and has her sights set on Rio 2016, revealed that this is not the only area in which Lawrence could improve her technique. “My tips would make her even better,”
Martin did not comment on how the form of Lawrence’s character, Katniss, looked in the film. After all, Lorig was brought in to train Lawrence for live action, not illustrated posters.
“It was important to me for the scenes to be realistic and she did great,” Lorig told Yahoo. “Ask any archer and they will tell you she looked just like a top archer.”
Martin was nonetheless praiseworthy of the “Hunger Games” series and Lawrence’s character.
“All publicity for archery is great, and it’s a minority sport in the UK so it’s great to raise awareness of it,” she told the Radio Times. “I’d like to think that I can be as accurate as [Katniss] and show determination as she does.”
- Katie Ledecky wins USA Swimming Athlete of the Year; who are World Swimmers of the Year? 0
- Wallace Spearmon fails drug test, banned 3 months 0
- Ato Boldon’s track and field season awards 1
- Analyzing the U.S. gymnastics women’s World Championships team 0
- Shaun White ‘more motivated’ to compete than before Sochi 0
- Lolo Jones eliminated from ‘Dancing with the Stars’ 6
- Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps hope to meet for first time before Olympic farewell 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)