Michael Phelps’ mom hopes for one more Olympics

Nov 22, 2013, 11:23 AM EDT

Debbie Phelps AP

Michael Phelps is training again, but he hasn’t committed to another Olympic run. That doesn’t mean his mother, Debbie Phelps, can’t dream of Rio 2016.

She was asked about Phelps returning to the North Baltimore Aquatic Club pool by a Baltimore radio station in a story about a fundraiser she’s spearheading to benefit area moms.

“I don’t if we’re going to Rio, but I know that, according to the Baltimore Sun and out there in social media, Michael did make an announcement about being back in the pool,” she told WBAL News. “Where that leads him, I don’t know, I’m hoping it does lead us to Brazil.

“But, you know, athletes, children, composers, artists have to love what they do. Michael has a love for his sport, a passion for his sport. I know when he went to Barcelona for world champs last year [July 2013], I watched his face. He has such eagerness about where the sport of swimming is going to go. I’m supporting him all the way as his mom.

“I would love to go Rio.”

Debbie Phelps, the education foundation director for Baltimore County Public Schools, has been hoping her son would go to Rio since before the London Olympics.

“I want to go to Rio in 2016,” she said on “60 Minutes” in May 2012. “I do. He told me he’d send me there on vacation, he told me. But you know, I was like, I’m like, ‘Come on, Michael just a 50 freestyle.’

“What happens if your mom, you know, after London, after 12 months goes by and says, ‘You know, I’ve always wanted to go to Rio?'”

Lil Wayne, Alpine skiing community react to Lindsey Vonn’s injury

Latest Posts
  1. Curling sculpture unveiled at Olympic Museum (photos)

Sep 17, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT

Curling statue

Curling is the first Winter Olympic sport to have a sculpture in the Olympic Museum park.

2. Paula Radcliffe set for first race since pulling out of London Olympics

Sep 17, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT

Paula Radcliffe Getty Images

World record holder, now 40, could enter two more major marathons.

3. Hicham El Guerrouj, King of the Mile, could still run fast at 40

Sep 17, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT

Hicham El Guerrouj Getty Images

Two-time Olympic champion runs five or six times per week.

4. Shaun White ‘more motivated’ to compete than before Sochi

Sep 17, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Shaun White Getty Images

Two-time Olympic halfpipe champion “more poised” for slopestyle success in 2018.

5. Lolo Jones eliminated from ‘Dancing with the Stars’

Sep 17, 2014, 8:41 AM EDT

Lolo Jones Getty Images

Jones posted she had “flashbacks of the three Olympics and that people constantly tease me about.”

6. Rio Olympic ticket prices start at about $20 in Brazil

Sep 16, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT

Rio 2016

More than 7.5 million tickets will be available for the Games.

7. Kohei Uchimura’s mother competes in gymnastics meet

Sep 16, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT

Kohei Uchimura Getty Images

Shuko Uchimura hadn’t competed in some 30 years, according to Japanese report.

8. Boston’s potential advantage in 2024 Olympic bid race

Sep 16, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT

Boston Getty Images

“The city is the Olympic park,” official tells Boston Globe.

9. Paralympic president clarifies Pistorius stance, looks to Rio

Sep 15, 2014, 4:27 PM EDT

Oscar Pistorius, Alan Oliveira Getty Images

IPC president Sir Philip Craven looks ahead to an anniversary and a new frontier for the Paralympics.

10. Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps hope to meet for first time before Olympic farewell

Sep 15, 2014, 2:36 PM EDT

Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps Getty Images

The greatest Olympians of this generation discuss thoughts on one another.

11. U.S. men’s volleyball team eliminated at World Championships

Sep 15, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT

USA Volleyball Getty Images

U.S. bounced in Poland with five-set loss to Argentina.

12. What U.S.’ FIBA World Cup title means for Olympics

Sep 15, 2014, 11:16 AM EDT

Kyrie Irving AP

The second-biggest winner from the FIBA World Cup may be a nation that didn’t compete in Spain.

13. Carolina Kostner called to hearing in ex-boyfriend’s doping case

Sep 15, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT

Carolina Kostner Getty Images

Olympic bronze medalist figure skater dated Olympic race-walking champion when he tested positive.

14. Oscar Pistorius’ Nike contract terminated

Sep 13, 2014, 8:52 PM EDT

Oscar Pistorius

Nike had suspended its contract with the runner six days after he shot and killed his girlfriend.

15. Jenny Simpson has long-standing record in sight after spectacular season

Sep 12, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT

Jenny Simpson Getty Images

Simpson, racing the Fifth Avenue Mile on Saturday, is one tenth away from breaking a 31-year-old mark.

16. Things Mutaz Barshim could jump over (photos)

Sep 12, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT

Mutaz Barshim

High jumper hashtag has taken social media by storm.

17. Reeva Steenkamp’s mom says justice was not served in Oscar Pistorius trial (video)

Sep 12, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT

Barry Steenkamp, June Steenkamp Getty Images

Steenkamp’s parents want to meet with Pistorius, they told NBC News.