Michael Phelps’ mom hopes for one more Olympics

Nov 22, 2013, 11:23 AM EDT

Debbie Phelps AP

Michael Phelps is training again, but he hasn’t committed to another Olympic run. That doesn’t mean his mother, Debbie Phelps, can’t dream of Rio 2016.

She was asked about Phelps returning to the North Baltimore Aquatic Club pool by a Baltimore radio station in a story about a fundraiser she’s spearheading to benefit area moms.

“I don’t if we’re going to Rio, but I know that, according to the Baltimore Sun and out there in social media, Michael did make an announcement about being back in the pool,” she told WBAL News. “Where that leads him, I don’t know, I’m hoping it does lead us to Brazil.

“But, you know, athletes, children, composers, artists have to love what they do. Michael has a love for his sport, a passion for his sport. I know when he went to Barcelona for world champs last year [July 2013], I watched his face. He has such eagerness about where the sport of swimming is going to go. I’m supporting him all the way as his mom.

“I would love to go Rio.”

Debbie Phelps, the education foundation director for Baltimore County Public Schools, has been hoping her son would go to Rio since before the London Olympics.

“I want to go to Rio in 2016,” she said on “60 Minutes” in May 2012. “I do. He told me he’d send me there on vacation, he told me. But you know, I was like, I’m like, ‘Come on, Michael just a 50 freestyle.’

“What happens if your mom, you know, after London, after 12 months goes by and says, ‘You know, I’ve always wanted to go to Rio?’”

Lil Wayne, Alpine skiing community react to Lindsey Vonn’s injury

Latest Posts
  1. Mo Farah withdraws from Commonwealth Games

Jul 24, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT

Mo Farah AP

Lingering illness keeps Olympic, World champion from competing.

2. Queen photobombs Commonwealth Games athlete selfie

Jul 24, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT

Jayde Taylor

Australian field hockey player’s photo goes viral.

3. Japan’s prime minister wants to hold Robot Olympics in 2020

Jul 23, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT

Mideast Iran RoboCup AP

Hopes to create a “robotic revolution.”

4. Brazil eyes 27 to 30 medals at Rio Olympics

Jul 23, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT

2012 Olympic Games - Opening Ceremony Getty Images

Brazil has never won more than 17 medals at an Olympics.

5. USOC to meet with leaders from 2024 Olympic bid candidate cities

Jul 23, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT

USOC logo Getty Images

Boston, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington D.C. in the running.

6. London Olympic cauldron plagiarism dispute settled

Jul 23, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT

London Olympic Cauldron Getty Images

LOCOG acknowledges U.S. firm submitted designs that ended up being part of the cauldron.

7. Stella McCartney to design Rio 2016 uniforms for Great Britain

Jul 23, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT

Stella McCartney Getty Images

Fashion star also created Team GB kits for London 2012.

8. Vin Baker’s gold medal from 2000 Olympics set for auction

Jul 23, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT

Vin Baker Getty Images

Opening bid much higher than final price for another Olympic basketball medal.

9. Usain Bolt not happy with Tyson Gay’s reduced ban

Jul 22, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT

Olympics Day 15 - Athletics Getty Images

“It is sending a bad message,” Bolt said.

10. Gabby Douglas helps girl’s dream come true with Make-A-Wish

Jul 22, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT

Gabby Douglas

Amarissa, 13, is a former gymnast who suffers from lupus.

11. David Boudia ponders a third diving event leading to 2016

Jul 22, 2014, 12:24 PM EDT

David Boudia Getty Images

Olympic champion finished his season in Shanghai last week.

12. Guide to the Commonwealth Games

Jul 22, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT

Usain Bolt Getty Images

Top sprinters from Jamaica, swimmers from Australia and more gather in Glasgow.

13. First Olympic golf qualification rankings released

Jul 21, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT

Rory McIlroy AP

U.S. stars would not make the Olympic field if it was determined today.

14. Big 12 commissioner says men’s Olympic sports could be cut

Jul 21, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT

Bob Bowlsby AP

NCAA’s current lawsuits may cut funding.

15. Dutch cyclist cheats death twice, avoids both Malaysian Airlines flights

Jul 21, 2014, 2:11 PM EDT

Maarten de Jonge `

“It’s inconceivable,” Maarten de Jonge said.

16. 90-plus-year-old men set 3 world relay records at USATF Masters

Jul 21, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT

Champion Goldy

Extraordinary men include war veterans, longtime NASA worker, Methodist minister.