Michael Phelps’ mom hopes for one more Olympics

Nov 22, 2013, 11:23 AM EDT

Debbie Phelps AP

Michael Phelps is training again, but he hasn’t committed to another Olympic run. That doesn’t mean his mother, Debbie Phelps, can’t dream of Rio 2016.

She was asked about Phelps returning to the North Baltimore Aquatic Club pool by a Baltimore radio station in a story about a fundraiser she’s spearheading to benefit area moms.

“I don’t if we’re going to Rio, but I know that, according to the Baltimore Sun and out there in social media, Michael did make an announcement about being back in the pool,” she told WBAL News. “Where that leads him, I don’t know, I’m hoping it does lead us to Brazil.

“But, you know, athletes, children, composers, artists have to love what they do. Michael has a love for his sport, a passion for his sport. I know when he went to Barcelona for world champs last year [July 2013], I watched his face. He has such eagerness about where the sport of swimming is going to go. I’m supporting him all the way as his mom.

“I would love to go Rio.”

Debbie Phelps, the education foundation director for Baltimore County Public Schools, has been hoping her son would go to Rio since before the London Olympics.

“I want to go to Rio in 2016,” she said on “60 Minutes” in May 2012. “I do. He told me he’d send me there on vacation, he told me. But you know, I was like, I’m like, ‘Come on, Michael just a 50 freestyle.’

“What happens if your mom, you know, after London, after 12 months goes by and says, ‘You know, I’ve always wanted to go to Rio?’”

Lil Wayne, Alpine skiing community react to Lindsey Vonn’s injury

1. sailbum7 - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:28 PM

She just wants him to keep training because it is the only thing that keeps him out of trouble. When he is not in training he does stupid things like allowing his picture to be taken smoking marijuana. If he is in training he will stay out of trouble and keep those endorsement dollars rolling in so mom can lead the good life.

2. csilojohnson - Nov 22, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Phelps can do whatever he wants.
    He is a beast.

3. mogogo1 - Nov 22, 2013 at 4:36 PM

The question isn’t whether he could do another Olympics but rather if he wants to. He’s done it all, set every conceivable record. What more is there to accomplish? And I’m not fully getting where his Mom is coming from. Almost like for all he’s done, she thinks he owes her something more. Just a strange vibe. She should just let him send her to Rio on vacation.

4. florida727 - Nov 22, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Don’t you just love parents that have no life of their own so they gravy-train their kids for all they’re worth. Hey, Ma Phelps, watch the video replays if you want to see yourself on TV. Leave Michael to do whatever the heck he wants (primarily golf); he’s earned it.

5. Natalie Greikos - Dec 27, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Reblogged this on The Muses Guild:PIPPA.