Nov 20, 2013, 10:56 AM EDT
Oscar Pistorius received two gun charges in addition to his main charge of murdering girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, whom he shot and killed on Valentine’s Day.
The gun charges, first reported three weeks ago, are from public incidents before Steenkamp’s death.
The indictment papers served to Pistorius’ lawyers on Wednesday relate to the South African double-amputee sprinter firing another person’s gun in a Johnnesburg restaurant last year and, separately, firing his gun out of the sunroof of a car weeks before he killed Steenkamp.
The gun he fired out of the sunroof was the same 9mm handgun he used to kill Steenkamp, according to The Associated Press.
He was already facing another gun charge for illegal possession of ammunition in his home.
Pistorius’ trial begins March 3 in Pretoria. He said he shot and killed Steenkamp in self defense, thinking she was an intruder in his bathroom in the early Valentine’s Day morning hours.
If convicted of premeditated murder, he could get life in prison with a minimum of 25 years.
- Michael Phelps, Missy Franklin 4th in 100 free, win Pan Pacs relay golds 0
- Simone Biles dominates to open P&G Championships 0
- Amy Van Dyken-Rouen stands, walks with assistance for first time since accident (video) 1
- Sam Mikulak leads one of most decorated P&G Championships fields ever 0
- Katie Ledecky wins 2 Pan Pacs titles; Missy Franklin places 3rd 1
- Simone Biles a tall favorite at P&G Championships; women’s preview 0
- Jennie Finch, Lisa Fernandez weigh in on Mo’ne Davis 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)