Nov 20, 2013, 10:56 AM EST
Oscar Pistorius received two gun charges in addition to his main charge of murdering girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, whom he shot and killed on Valentine’s Day.
The gun charges, first reported three weeks ago, are from public incidents before Steenkamp’s death.
The indictment papers served to Pistorius’ lawyers on Wednesday relate to the South African double-amputee sprinter firing another person’s gun in a Johnnesburg restaurant last year and, separately, firing his gun out of the sunroof of a car weeks before he killed Steenkamp.
The gun he fired out of the sunroof was the same 9mm handgun he used to kill Steenkamp, according to The Associated Press.
He was already facing another gun charge for illegal possession of ammunition in his home.
Pistorius’ trial begins March 3 in Pretoria. He said he shot and killed Steenkamp in self defense, thinking she was an intruder in his bathroom in the early Valentine’s Day morning hours.
If convicted of premeditated murder, he could get life in prison with a minimum of 25 years.
- Viktor Tikhonov, Soviet Union Olympic hockey coach, dies at 84 1
- Sun Yang failed drug test, served three-month ban 0
- Rio 2016 Olympic, Paralympic mascots unveiled (video) 0
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard 0
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 1
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)