Nov 18, 2013, 9:27 AM EDT
Martin Brodeur has been statistically better than favored goalies to make Canada’s Olympic Team, but he does not want his name in the Sochi conversation.
“Please no,” Brodeur said, according to the Bergen (N.J.) Record. “Please no.”
Brodeur, 41, is a four-time Olympian and a two-time gold medalist. He’s 6-3-2 with a 1.98 goals-against average, a .919 save percentage and two shutouts for the Devils this season.
Here’s how Brodeur ranks among Canadian goalies with at least 10 games played:
1. Josh Harding (MIN) 1.25
2. Brodeur 1.98
3. Jonathan Bernier (TOR) 2.05
4. Carey Price (MTL) 2.05
5. Marc-Andre Fleury (PIT) 2.06
1. Harding .946
2. Price .936
3. Steve Mason (PHI) .931
4. Braden Holtby (WAS) .925
5. Justin Peters (CAR) .921
6. Brodeur .919
The top goalies in the Olympic conversation going into the season were Roberto Luongo (2.36 GAA, .912), Corey Crawford (2.42 GAA, .910) and Price (2.05, .936). Brodeur has been better than Luongo and Crawford.
Harding has obviously thrown himself into the mix. Perhaps Brodeur has, too, but he’s not talking about it.
“I’m just trying to win my games here and have fun and whatever happens in December it’s going to happen,” Brodeur told the newspaper. “We all know that it’s important to go with some guys that are knocking on the door now. If they ask, I’ll be glad, but I’m not looking for that. That’s not the reason why I’m playing well. I want to play well for me and for these guys.”
Three weeks ago, Brodeur picked three goalies who should make Canada’s Olympic team and did not include himself. Canada must choose its Olympic roster by Dec. 31.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
The Olympics open on Aug. 5, 2016.
Aug 3, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT
“We swim in waters all around the world, and this was no different from anywhere else,” Gwen Jorgensen said.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:51 PM EDT
May-Treanor retired after the London Olympics and had a baby.
Katinka Hosszu, Sarah Sjostrom break records; Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte make finals at World Championships
Aug 3, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Lochte posted his best time since the London Olympics.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT
Boudia trounced one Chinese star but was beaten by a longtime rival.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:35 AM EDT
“It did feel pretty easy.”
Aug 2, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT
Also, a U.S. Olympic champion’s world record was broken in a semifinal.
Aug 2, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
They could make history in Rio de Janeiro.
Aug 2, 2015, 1:28 AM EDT
Rousey is a 2008 Olympic judo bronze medalist.
Aug 1, 2015, 3:09 PM EDT
It wants to make a decision by the end of the month.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:57 AM EDT
Key swimmers and events to watch.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
Action gets started Sunday in Kazan.
Jul 31, 2015, 6:12 AM EDT
Beijing beat Almaty, Kazakhstan, in a very close IOC vote.
Jul 30, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT
A US Sailing official maintained his stance on the Rio water from last year.
Jul 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT
Watch the goalie’s interview on The Dan Patrick Show.
Jul 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Farah was to have “blood data, supplements data, everything surrounding his medical treatment” investigated.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
NBC, NBC Sports Live Extra and Universal Sports will combine for daily coverage.
Jul 30, 2015, 8:08 AM EDT
Either way, the vote will mark an Olympic first.
Jul 29, 2015, 6:27 PM EDT
Felix will be absent from the 200m at Worlds for the first time since 2001.
Jul 29, 2015, 4:49 PM EDT
Biles won’t be eligible to compete collegiately.
- Misty May-Treanor competes for first time in 3 years, not a comeback 0
- Katinka Hosszu, Sarah Sjostrom break records; Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte make finals at World Championships 0
- Katie Ledecky breaks 1500m freestyle world record again 1
- Katie Ledecky, Sun Yang open quests for history with golds at World Championships 0
- Gwen Jorgensen, Sarah True make 2016 U.S. Olympic triathlon team 0
- USOC to talk with other three finalists to replace Boston 2024 Olympic bid 1
- World Swimming Championships women’s preview 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)