Nov 18, 2013, 9:27 AM EDT
Martin Brodeur has been statistically better than favored goalies to make Canada’s Olympic Team, but he does not want his name in the Sochi conversation.
“Please no,” Brodeur said, according to the Bergen (N.J.) Record. “Please no.”
Brodeur, 41, is a four-time Olympian and a two-time gold medalist. He’s 6-3-2 with a 1.98 goals-against average, a .919 save percentage and two shutouts for the Devils this season.
Here’s how Brodeur ranks among Canadian goalies with at least 10 games played:
1. Josh Harding (MIN) 1.25
2. Brodeur 1.98
3. Jonathan Bernier (TOR) 2.05
4. Carey Price (MTL) 2.05
5. Marc-Andre Fleury (PIT) 2.06
1. Harding .946
2. Price .936
3. Steve Mason (PHI) .931
4. Braden Holtby (WAS) .925
5. Justin Peters (CAR) .921
6. Brodeur .919
The top goalies in the Olympic conversation going into the season were Roberto Luongo (2.36 GAA, .912), Corey Crawford (2.42 GAA, .910) and Price (2.05, .936). Brodeur has been better than Luongo and Crawford.
Harding has obviously thrown himself into the mix. Perhaps Brodeur has, too, but he’s not talking about it.
“I’m just trying to win my games here and have fun and whatever happens in December it’s going to happen,” Brodeur told the newspaper. “We all know that it’s important to go with some guys that are knocking on the door now. If they ask, I’ll be glad, but I’m not looking for that. That’s not the reason why I’m playing well. I want to play well for me and for these guys.”
Three weeks ago, Brodeur picked three goalies who should make Canada’s Olympic team and did not include himself. Canada must choose its Olympic roster by Dec. 31.
May 6, 2015, 9:51 AM EDT
Canadians must return for 2016-17 if they are to come back at all, according to report.
May 6, 2015, 9:34 AM EDT
Russia is focused on another major sporting event.
May 6, 2015, 9:19 AM EDT
Kerri Walsh Jennings also wants to have another child, after the Rio Games.
May 6, 2015, 9:07 AM EDT
NBC Sports and NBCOlympics.com combined for seven Sports Emmys for Sochi presentation.
May 6, 2015, 8:53 AM EDT
Watch the resourceful video from the 2008 gold medalist.
May 5, 2015, 2:23 PM EDT
Miller also said the Magnificent Seven is planning its 20-year anniversary.
May 5, 2015, 12:52 PM EDT
Three-time World champion explained why he’s returning to competition.
May 5, 2015, 11:16 AM EDT
Woods also compared Olympic golf to Olympic tennis.
May 5, 2015, 8:39 AM EDT
“This is just the beginning.”
May 4, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
Liukin could be very busy during Indy 500 week with another competition.
May 4, 2015, 2:12 PM EDT
The U.S. only has one Olympian on its roster.
May 4, 2015, 10:19 AM EDT
“The guy who was getting ready to dive on the top board was laughing at me.”
May 3, 2015, 10:32 PM EDT
Bolt was seen at the stadium but sat out as an injury precaution.
May 3, 2015, 6:19 PM EDT
It’s the first World title for the Americans on home ice.
May 3, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
They had been together for nearly three years.
May 3, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Both teams crushed their first four opponents to reach this final rematch.
May 2, 2015, 10:45 PM EDT
Also, Allyson Felix was involved in a collision.
May 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It’s a rematch of the 2013 World Championship final.
May 1, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
The U.S. has dominated opponents so far, but the medal round figures to provide tougher tests.
May 1, 2015, 4:41 PM EDT
Rhode could become the first Olympian to win medals on five continents.
- Patrick Chan’s return about more than elusive Olympic gold medal 1
- Tiger Woods: Olympics ‘very important’ as he attempts climb to Rio 2016 2
- Warren Weir calls Ryan Bailey ‘a little nobody’ after Usain Bolt taunt 5
- U.S. blanks Canada for gold at IPC World Sled Hockey Championship 0
- Lindsey Vonn, Tiger Woods announce breakup 7
- U.S. holds off Usain Bolt at World Relays (video) 3
- Kim Rhode still No. 1 after difficult pregnancy, gun change on road to history in Rio 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)