Nov 18, 2013, 9:27 AM EST
Martin Brodeur has been statistically better than favored goalies to make Canada’s Olympic Team, but he does not want his name in the Sochi conversation.
“Please no,” Brodeur said, according to the Bergen (N.J.) Record. “Please no.”
Brodeur, 41, is a four-time Olympian and a two-time gold medalist. He’s 6-3-2 with a 1.98 goals-against average, a .919 save percentage and two shutouts for the Devils this season.
Here’s how Brodeur ranks among Canadian goalies with at least 10 games played:
1. Josh Harding (MIN) 1.25
2. Brodeur 1.98
3. Jonathan Bernier (TOR) 2.05
4. Carey Price (MTL) 2.05
5. Marc-Andre Fleury (PIT) 2.06
1. Harding .946
2. Price .936
3. Steve Mason (PHI) .931
4. Braden Holtby (WAS) .925
5. Justin Peters (CAR) .921
6. Brodeur .919
The top goalies in the Olympic conversation going into the season were Roberto Luongo (2.36 GAA, .912), Corey Crawford (2.42 GAA, .910) and Price (2.05, .936). Brodeur has been better than Luongo and Crawford.
Harding has obviously thrown himself into the mix. Perhaps Brodeur has, too, but he’s not talking about it.
“I’m just trying to win my games here and have fun and whatever happens in December it’s going to happen,” Brodeur told the newspaper. “We all know that it’s important to go with some guys that are knocking on the door now. If they ask, I’ll be glad, but I’m not looking for that. That’s not the reason why I’m playing well. I want to play well for me and for these guys.”
Three weeks ago, Brodeur picked three goalies who should make Canada’s Olympic team and did not include himself. Canada must choose its Olympic roster by Dec. 31.
- U.S. aerialists, elementary school classmates, sweep World Cup titles 0
- Michael Phelps may be reinstated for World Championships, report says 0
- David Boudia scraps springboard plan; Nick McCrory retires 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross confident after defeat in Brazil showdown 1
- Lindsey Vonn loses super-G standings lead, closes in on another record (video) 0
- Marcel Hirscher’s historically dominant win just about ends Ted Ligety’s title hopes (video) 0
- Lindsey Vonn lost in the fog in Bansko super combined 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)