Nov 14, 2013, 1:38 PM EDT
BYU cross-country runner Jared Ward‘s appeal was approved, and he will be able to compete in what’s left of the NCAA season, according to the Twitter account of BYU’s athletic director.
Ward’s story of being deemed ineligible by the NCAA for running in a recreational race (with some people in costumes) made widespread news this week. The NCAA agreed to review Ward’s eligibility Thursday morning.
Ward ran the race in 2009, before his college career, and was docked one season of eligibility for taking part in an organized competition that gave him a competitive advantage, according to the NCAA.
He continued running in 2010, 2011 and 2012, hoping the NCAA would reverse its decision. It didn’t, so he sat out the beginning of this season.
There are two events left on BYU’s cross-country schedule — the NCAA Mountain Regional Championships in Ogden, Utah, on Friday and the NCAA Cross-Country Championships in Terre Haute, Ind., on Nov. 23.
Ward finished 14th at the 2012 NCAA Cross-Country Championships as a junior.
Ward was BYU’s top finisher at the NCAA Championships last year and the sixth best non-senior runner in the country. Without him, BYU was No. 5 in the NCAA Cross-Country Rankings last updated Nov. 5.
- Meryl Davis, Charlie White won’t compete next season 0
- Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman competitive with U.S. teammates in comeback 0
- Javier Fernandez wins upset World Championship; top American fourth 0
- Elizaveta Tuktamysheva wins World Championship; U.S. just misses medals 0
- How to watch Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman’s comeback gymnastics meet 0
- Yuzuru Hanyu tops World Championships short program; Jason Brown leads Americans 0
- U.S. women struggle, trail Russian brilliance after World Championships short program 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)