Nov 12, 2013, 4:55 PM EDT
The November issue of Playboy in Poland features an Olympic cover.
Short track speed skaters Aida Bella and Marta Wojcik are the centerpiece, each holding skates while standing back to back (like the famous Larry Bird–Magic Johnson “Choose Your Weapon” ad by Converse, only with less clothing).
Bella and Wojcik appeared in the magazine in hopes of garnering attention and funding leading into the Sochi Olympics, according to European reports.
It’s uncertain whether Bella or Wojcik will qualify for Sochi.
A Polish short track skater has never finished better than 11th at the Olympics. The nation did not send a female skater to the Games until 2010.
Neither Bella nor Wojcik is ranked in the top 40 in the world in an individual event (an Olympic field size is capped at 32 or 36.). Poland is outside the top 10 in team relay rankings (eight nations compete in the Olympic relay).
Olympic qualifying concludes at a World Cup stop this weekend in Kolomna, Russia.
- Bruce Jenner: I’m a woman; Olympians react 2
- Michael Phelps to move to Arizona with coach Bob Bowman 0
- Simone Biles discusses Martha Karolyi’s team selfie, U.S. teammates, more 0
- Usain Bolt: Tyson Gay’s reduced ban ‘the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard’ 0
- Doug E. Doug reflects on ‘Cool Runnings’ 0
- Nadia Comaneci: Simone Biles’ difficulty is almost equal to men 0
- Ten sports where Brazil can win medals at Rio 2016 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)