Nov 12, 2013, 4:55 PM EDT
The November issue of Playboy in Poland features an Olympic cover.
Short track speed skaters Aida Bella and Marta Wojcik are the centerpiece, each holding skates while standing back to back (like the famous Larry Bird-Magic Johnson “Choose Your Weapon” ad by Converse, only with less clothing).
Bella and Wojcik appeared in the magazine in hopes of garnering attention and funding leading into the Sochi Olympics, according to European reports.
It’s uncertain whether Bella or Wojcik will qualify for Sochi.
A Polish short track skater has never finished better than 11th at the Olympics. The nation did not send a female skater to the Games until 2010.
Neither Bella nor Wojcik is ranked in the top 40 in the world in an individual event (an Olympic field size is capped at 32 or 36.). Poland is outside the top 10 in team relay rankings (eight nations compete in the Olympic relay).
Olympic qualifying concludes at a World Cup stop this weekend in Kolomna, Russia.
- Boston, Chicago Marathon winner Rita Jeptoo fails drug test 0
- Neymar will be on Brazil’s Olympic soccer team, coach says 0
- Meb Keflezighi in familiar spot as New York City Marathon underdog 0
- Matt Anderson taking break from volleyball due to depression 0
- Caroline Wozniacki nervous for New York City Marathon, even in her dreams 0
- Prosecutors to appeal Oscar Pistorius verdict, sentence 3
- Russian triumphs at Skate America; Gracie Gold third (video) 4
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)