Nov 11, 2013, 9:42 AM EDT
Stockholm became the sixth entrant into the 2022 Olympic bidding, one day after Munich opted not to bid for the Winter Games.
The Swedish capital hosted the 1912 Summer Games. No city has hosted both the Summer and Winter Olympics.
Under its 2022 bid plans, the Alpine events would be held in the northern Swedish ski resort of Are, according to The Associated Press. Are is 395 miles north of Stockholm.
Munich, a distant second to Pyeongchang in 2018 host voting, was thought to be a 2022 contender until 52 percent of voters rejected a potential bid Sunday.
“We expected a very different outcome,” said Thomas Schmid, mayor of Garmisch-Partenkirchen, which could have hosted skiing events, according to The Associated Press. “I personally think that this was our last chance to get the Winter Games.”
The deadline for cities to submit bids for the 2022 Olympics is Thursday. The International Olympic Committee will choose the host city in Kuala Lumpur on July 31, 2015.
Here are the six bidders so far:
Krakow, Poland-Jasna, Slovakia
The U.S. will not bid for the 2022 Olympics.
Asia will host the 2018 and 2020 Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea, and Tokyo. One continent has not hosted three straight Olympics since Europe had Albertville, France, Barcelona, Spain, and Lillehammer, Norway, in 1992 and 1994. Asia has never hosted three straight Olympics.
- USOC eyes majority support for Boston 2024 ‘relatively soon’ 0
- Usain Bolt pulls out of July track meets 1
- Michael Phelps’ career in photos on his 30th birthday 0
- Michael Phelps’ potential record chases at Rio Olympics 0
- Flashback: Michael Phelps at the Sydney 2000 Olympics 0
- Five takeaways from U.S. Track and Field Championships 0
- Boston 2024 releases Olympic bid version 2.0 (photos) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)