Lindsey Vonn says she’s healthy enough to win now

Nov 8, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT

Lindsey Vonn Getty Images

Lindsey Vonn won’t race for another three weeks, but she’s already feeling like a champion.

The Olympic downhill gold medalist told reporters on Friday that she’s ready to win a World Cup super-G.

“Super-G is really good, it’s probably some of the best super-G I’ve ever skied in my life,” Vonn said in Vail, Colo., according to the Denver Post. “I found the right setup — the right skis, boots, everything is working well — and I’ve had the most super-G training of any event so far in this preparation period. I definitely feel like that event is 100 percent.

“Now it’s just branching out and getting a little bit more comfortable with downhill, which should be no problem, and getting in some more training days in (giant slalom).”

Vonn, 29, is coming back from blowing out her knee at the World Championships in February. She trained in Austria last month but opted not to race the season-opening giant slalom in Soelden, Austria, on Oct. 26.

Her first races are expected to be a downhill, super-G and a giant slalom in Beaver Creek, Colo., from Nov. 29-Dec. 1.

“It would be huge for me if I could win in Beaver Creek,” Vonn said, according to the newspaper. “Obviously that’s expecting a lot, my first race back. But I feel like I don’t have any pressure, honestly.

“I think I’m going to be just fine when I get to the races, but I’m not expecting anything. I’m not expecting to be on the podium, I’m not expecting a win. I’m just going to go out there and see what I can do. If I can continue training the way I am, I think the result’s going to be good.”

Vonn also said the record for most career World Cup wins held by Annemarie Moser-Proell should be attainable this season. Vonn needs four victories to pass the Austrian, but that’s not her primary concern.

“My focus is definitely on Sochi,” she said. “I want to be able to win on the World Cup before we get to Sochi. I want to go into Sochi with confidence, knowing that I can win.”

The Olympics begin with the super combined Feb. 10 and then the downhill Feb. 12. If Vonn shows she’s healthy during the World Cup season, she’ll be the favorite in the latter.

“It’s very different because I already have a gold medal,” Vonn told the Denver Post. “I feel like the pressure’s off. My childhood dream has been to win a gold medal in the Olympics, and I’ve already accomplished that, so everything from here on out is just icing on the cake.”

Vonn also said she wasn’t sure yet if Tiger Woods will be able to attend any of her races this season, according to USA Today.

Video: Lindsey Vonn calls Tiger Woods ‘dorky-goofy’

Latest Posts
  1. Lolo Jones sheds weight, returns to track at Drake Relays

Apr 24, 2014, 5:57 PM EDT

Lolo Jones AP

Jones explains difficulty of returning to track workouts.

2. Michael Phelps wins his first preliminary race since London Olympics

Apr 24, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

Michael Phelps AP

Phelps is swimming competitively for the first time since the London Olympics.

3. Erin Hamlin, bronze medal hanging with the stars since Sochi Olympics

Apr 24, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT

Erin Hamlin Getty Images

Olympic bronze medalist explains what President Obama told her about luge.

4. Elizabeth Price retires from U.S. National Gymnastics Team

Apr 24, 2014, 12:42 PM EDT

Elizabeth Price AP

2012 Olympic alternate announces college plans.

5. Meb Keflezighi throws first pitch at Red Sox game (photos, video)

Apr 24, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT

Meb Keflezighi

Boston Marathon winner met Derek Jeter, David Ortiz.

6. Ryan Lochte inspired by Michael Phelps’ return (video)

Apr 23, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT

Ryan Lochte, Michael Phelps Getty Images

Lochte said he almost didn’t come back to swimming after knee injury.

7. Michael Phelps ready to start ‘journey’ in comeback meet

Apr 23, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT

Michael Phelps Getty Images

Phelps says he gained 30 pounds in retirement but has shed most of it in training.

8. Michael Phelps no longer sponsored by Speedo

Apr 23, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT

Michael Phelps Getty Images

Phelps’ contract with Speedo ran out at the end of 2013 after a 12-year run.

9. Another Michael set to make splash at Mesa Grand Prix

Apr 23, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT

Michael Phelps, Michael Andrew Courtesy Tina Andrew

Michael Andrew, 15, turned pro last year and has been drawing comparisons to Michael Phelps.

10. Michael Phelps’ comeback at Mesa Grand Prix competition, broadcast schedules

Apr 23, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT

Michael Phelps AP

When to watch Michael Phelps’ return to competition.

11. Meb Keflezighi congratulated by President Obama

Apr 22, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT

Meb Keflezighi AP

How Keflezighi spent the morning after his upset victory.

12. Ryan Hall, other U.S. runners wouldn’t help East Africans catch Meb Keflezighi

Apr 22, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT

Ryan Hall, Meb Keflezighi AP

Americans’ tactic played small role in Keflezighi’s victory.

13. Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski added to NBC’s Kentucky Derby coverage

Apr 22, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT

Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski Getty Images

Sochi figure skating analysts will be fashion experts at Churchill Downs.

14. Apolo Ohno plans to do Ironman World Championships

Apr 22, 2014, 10:11 AM EDT

Apolo Anton Ohno AP

Ohno follows NFL wide receiver, celebrity chef in ambitious attempt.

15. Lance Armstrong’s longtime team manager banned 10 years

Apr 22, 2014, 8:21 AM EDT

Johan Bruyneel AP

Johan Bruyneel guided Lance Armstrong’s teams for all seven stripped Tour de France wins.

16. Emotions flow for runners, spectators at Boston Marathon

Apr 21, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT

Boston Strong AP

“I needed it for healing,” one survivor said.

17. Meb Keflezighi stuns to win Boston Marathon (video)

Apr 21, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

Meb Keflezighi AP

First U.S. man to win Boston Marathon since 1983.

18. 2014 Boston Marathon highlights: American Meb Keflezighi, Kenya’s Rita Jeptoo win (VIDEO)

Apr 21, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT

2014 B.A.A. Boston Marathon Getty Images

Meb Keflezighi made history on an emotional day at the 2014 Boston Marathon by becoming the first American man to win the race since 1983. Watch highlights of the 38-year-old Keflezighi’s victory here, courtesy of Universal Sports: Keflezighi reacts to his historic win and the emotion of winning one year after the Boston Marathon bombing,…

19. Rita Jeptoo repeats as Boston Marathon winner in course record

Apr 21, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT

Rita Jeptoo Getty Images

Shalane Flanagan led early but was dropped around 21 miles.

20. Tatyana McFadden wins another Boston Marathon on special day

Apr 21, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT

Tatyana McFadden AP

Paralympic champion prevails one month after winning silver in Sochi.

Inside Michael Phelps' comeback