Lindsey Vonn says she’s healthy enough to win now

Nov 8, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT

Lindsey Vonn Getty Images

Lindsey Vonn won’t race for another three weeks, but she’s already feeling like a champion.

The Olympic downhill gold medalist told reporters on Friday that she’s ready to win a World Cup super-G.

“Super-G is really good, it’s probably some of the best super-G I’ve ever skied in my life,” Vonn said in Vail, Colo., according to the Denver Post. “I found the right setup — the right skis, boots, everything is working well — and I’ve had the most super-G training of any event so far in this preparation period. I definitely feel like that event is 100 percent.

“Now it’s just branching out and getting a little bit more comfortable with downhill, which should be no problem, and getting in some more training days in (giant slalom).”

Vonn, 29, is coming back from blowing out her knee at the World Championships in February. She trained in Austria last month but opted not to race the season-opening giant slalom in Soelden, Austria, on Oct. 26.

Her first races are expected to be a downhill, super-G and a giant slalom in Beaver Creek, Colo., from Nov. 29-Dec. 1.

“It would be huge for me if I could win in Beaver Creek,” Vonn said, according to the newspaper. “Obviously that’s expecting a lot, my first race back. But I feel like I don’t have any pressure, honestly.

“I think I’m going to be just fine when I get to the races, but I’m not expecting anything. I’m not expecting to be on the podium, I’m not expecting a win. I’m just going to go out there and see what I can do. If I can continue training the way I am, I think the result’s going to be good.”

Vonn also said the record for most career World Cup wins held by Annemarie Moser-Proell should be attainable this season. Vonn needs four victories to pass the Austrian, but that’s not her primary concern.

“My focus is definitely on Sochi,” she said. “I want to be able to win on the World Cup before we get to Sochi. I want to go into Sochi with confidence, knowing that I can win.”

The Olympics begin with the super combined Feb. 10 and then the downhill Feb. 12. If Vonn shows she’s healthy during the World Cup season, she’ll be the favorite in the latter.

“It’s very different because I already have a gold medal,” Vonn told the Denver Post. “I feel like the pressure’s off. My childhood dream has been to win a gold medal in the Olympics, and I’ve already accomplished that, so everything from here on out is just icing on the cake.”

Vonn also said she wasn’t sure yet if Tiger Woods will be able to attend any of her races this season, according to USA Today.

Video: Lindsey Vonn calls Tiger Woods ‘dorky-goofy’

Latest Posts
  1. Bicycle fall takes swimmer Kosuke Hagino out of Worlds

Jul 4, 2015, 9:11 AM EDT

Kosuke Hagino Kosuke Hagino

The Japanese swimmer confirmed that his right elbow is fractured.

2. Nick Lucena and Theo Brunner final American team in Beach Volleyball World Championships

Jul 3, 2015, 5:13 PM EDT

AVP Championships at Huntington Beach AVP Championships at Huntington Beach

Three of the four remaining American teams were knocked out in the quarterfinal rounds. Lucena and Brunner will face the Brazilians in semifinals on Saturday.

3. Jordan Burroughs on Rio: ‘My chances of winning’ are better than in London

Jul 3, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT

US' Jordan Ernest Burroughs celebrates a US' Jordan Ernest Burroughs celebrates a

In an interview before the July 4th stop of the Road to Rio tour before Philadelphia, the Olympic wrestler explained how his age has become an advantage.

4. Rio 2016 Olympic torch unveiled

Jul 3, 2015, 12:26 PM EDT

Screen shot 2015-07-03 at 11.35.56 AM

The torch will begin in the capital city of Brasilia, passing through a planned 500 cities before reaching Maracana Stadium in Rio for the Opening Ceremony.

5. Allyson Felix considering 200-400m double at Worlds

Jul 3, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT

Allyson Felix Allyson Felix

Won’t face Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, who will forgo 200 meters to focus on 100.

6. Japanese swim star Kosuke Hagino potentially out of World Championships

Jul 2, 2015, 11:29 AM EDT

Comments Off on Japanese swim star Kosuke Hagino potentially out of World Championships
    Japan's Kosuke Hagino competes in the me Japan's Kosuke Hagino competes in the me

A suspected elbow fracture may force Hagino to pull out.

7. Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross historically dominant at World Championships

Jul 1, 2015, 10:07 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Walsh Jennings had never been part of such a rout with Misty May-Treanor.

8. USOC eyes majority support for Boston 2024 ‘relatively soon’

Jun 30, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT

Boston 2024

“We’re not discussing right now the possibility of not submitting a bid.”

9. Usain Bolt pulls out of July track meets

Jun 30, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT

AP AP

Bolt flew to Munich to treat an injury.

10. Brazil’s president offers Barack Obama ‘standing invitation’ to Rio Olympics

Jun 30, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT

AP AP

Obama has never attended an Olympics as president, and this is his last chance.

11. Simon Shnapir retires from figure skating

Jun 30, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Shnapir won Olympic bronze in Sochi.

12. Missy Franklin named top NCAA female athlete

Jun 30, 2015, 10:37 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Franklin beat out another Rio 2016 Olympic hopeful for the honor.

13. Cristiano Ronaldo ‘a possibility’ for Rio 2016 Olympics

Jun 30, 2015, 9:19 AM EDT

Cristiano Ronaldo Getty Images

Ronaldo debuted at the Olympics two years before his first World Cup.

14. Angela Ruggiero to become fourth women’s player in Hockey Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT

AP AP

The 2015 Hall of Fame class also includes four men’s Olympic medalists.

15. Michael Phelps’ career in photos on his 30th birthday

Jun 30, 2015, 8:10 AM EDT

Michael Phelps

Most decorated Olympian of all time turned 30 on Tuesday.

16. Michael Phelps’ potential record chases at Rio Olympics

Jun 30, 2015, 7:50 AM EDT

Michael Phelps AP

Phelps still trails a legendary gymnast, U.S. track and field champions and one of his 2004 Olympic swimming teammates.

17. Five takeaways from U.S. Track and Field Championships

Jun 29, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

The U.S. appears headed for a historically strong World Championships medal haul.