Usain Bolt: Sub-19 would be bigger success than more Olympic medals

Nov 7, 2013, 8:47 AM EDT

Usain Bolt Reuters

What’s tougher — eating 1,000 chicken McNuggets or breaking 20 seconds in the 200m?

Bolt addressed both in his recently released autobiography, “Faster Than Lightning.” We know about the McNuggets story from the Beijing Olympics.

In another excerpt, Bolt said he could break his world record in the 200m (19.19) and run sub-19 as early as 2014. That’s a daunting task, given Bolt’s quickest time since his 19.19 world record in 2009 is a 19.32 at the 2012 Olympics.

“Supposing I don’t make any quicker times in the 100, I would love to be able to run 18-something seconds in the 200, even if it was an 18.99 race,” Bolt wrote, according to the International Sports Press Association. “Forget making the next Olympics and the medals, breaking that time would be an ever bigger success. I’d love to crack it, knowing that people were sitting in their homes and losing their minds at my achievement.

“To reach that landmark pace, I would need to have the perfect season, like the one I had in ’08. I think next year could be my shot at it, though the window of opportunity is getting smaller with every campaign. The older I get, the narrower that window becomes; the harder it is form me to reach peak fitness in time for a major race.

“I don’t think it’s totally out of reach in the next season or so. Seriously, who would be surprised if I did it? Who’s going to stop me from going fast? The only man who can bring an end to my status as a star of track and field in the next couple of years is me, and I’m a phenomenon, a serious competitor — a legend for my generation. Believe me, my time isn’t’ up just yet.”

Bolt is 27. Michael Johnson set his 200m world record of 19.32 at the 1996 Olympics when he was 28.

Bolt previously announced his goal of breaking the 200m world record next year in a press conference in September.

“I have learned, I have mastered the art of running the turn,” Bolt said. “So if I can stay injury free and be in good shape, then it’s possible for me to definitely go after the world record.”

Bolt among three finalists for World Athlete of the Year

Latest Posts
  1. Indian boxer refuses bronze medal at Asian Games

Oct 1, 2014, 5:24 PM EDT

Sarita Devi Getty Images

Video of bizarre scene during medal ceremony.

2. Oslo withdraws 2022 Olympic bid after ‘no’ vote

Oct 1, 2014, 4:54 PM EDT

Oslo 2022 Getty Images

Almaty, Kazakhstan and Beijing are the two remaining finalists.

3. Dennis Kimetto gets hero’s welcome in Kenya (photos)

Oct 1, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT

Dennis Kimetto Getty Images

Marathon world record smasher reportedly already has 2015 plans.

4. North Korea vs. South Korea in Asian Games men’s soccer final

Oct 1, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

North Korea men's soccer Getty Images

Game will be played in South Korea with more than a gold medal at stake.

5. Kyla Ross suffered hip injury before World Championships

Oct 1, 2014, 11:38 AM EDT

Kyla Ross Getty Images

Olympic team champion trained with her hip and thigh taped Wednesday.

6. Lindsey Vonn’s return to snow ‘went well,’ U.S. coach says

Oct 1, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT

Lindsey Vonn Getty Images

Vonn strapped on skis in Austria, preparing for her World Cup return later this fall.

7. Justin Gatlin eyes more 200s after undefeated season

Oct 1, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT

Justin Gatlin Getty Images

Sprinter discusses Usain Bolt, reflects on 2014 and looks ahead to 2015.

8. Michael Phelps arrested on DUI charges

Sep 30, 2014, 4:18 PM EDT

Michael Phelps Getty Images

The 22-time Olympic medalist was pulled over in Maryland overnight.

9. U.S. women’s basketball team beats Angola by 75 points

Sep 30, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT

Tina Charles Getty Images

U.S.’ previous biggest blowout was 70 points over Senegal.

10. Lauryn Williams ‘playing with the idea’ of bobsled this season

Sep 30, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT

Lauryn Williams Getty Images

Summer and Winter Olympian previously said she was all but retired.

11. Lindsey Vonn set for first skiing in 10 months, named 2016 Youth Olympics ambassador

Sep 30, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT

Lindsey Vonn Getty Images

Vancouver downhill champion expected to ski in Austria on Wednesday.

12. Patrick Chan eyes return to competition in 2015-16

Sep 30, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT

Patrick Chan Getty Images

Canadian joins long list of skaters sitting out this season.

13. Katinka Hosszu wins record 10 golds in 2 days at FINA World Cup

Sep 30, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT

Katinka Hosszu Getty Images

Hungarian matched her Monday output on Tuesday but lacked top competition.

14. Mikaela Shiffrin gets her own street in Vail

Sep 30, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT

Mikaela Shiffrin

Olympic slalom champion also gave an update on her 2014-15 plans.

15. Talk of a sub-two-hour marathon

Sep 29, 2014, 1:16 PM EDT

Dennis Kimetto Getty Images

Dennis Kimetto’s record-smashing win in Berlin brings the barrier into closer view.

16. ISU wants synchronized figure skating in Winter Olympics

Sep 29, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT

Synchronized Skating Getty Images

ISU asks for synchronized skating and a new speed skating event for 2018.

17. Yevgeny Plushenko wants to prove he ‘is not a coward’

Sep 29, 2014, 10:27 AM EDT

Yevgeny Plushenko Getty Images

Plushenko received criticism for withdrawing at Sochi Olympics.