Usain Bolt: Sub-19 would be bigger success than more Olympic medals

Nov 7, 2013, 8:47 AM EST

Usain Bolt Reuters

What’s tougher — eating 1,000 chicken McNuggets or breaking 20 seconds in the 200m?

Bolt addressed both in his recently released autobiography, “Faster Than Lightning.” We know about the McNuggets story from the Beijing Olympics.

In another excerpt, Bolt said he could break his world record in the 200m (19.19) and run sub-19 as early as 2014. That’s a daunting task, given Bolt’s quickest time since his 19.19 world record in 2009 is a 19.32 at the 2012 Olympics.

“Supposing I don’t make any quicker times in the 100, I would love to be able to run 18-something seconds in the 200, even if it was an 18.99 race,” Bolt wrote, according to the International Sports Press Association. “Forget making the next Olympics and the medals, breaking that time would be an ever bigger success. I’d love to crack it, knowing that people were sitting in their homes and losing their minds at my achievement.

“To reach that landmark pace, I would need to have the perfect season, like the one I had in ’08. I think next year could be my shot at it, though the window of opportunity is getting smaller with every campaign. The older I get, the narrower that window becomes; the harder it is form me to reach peak fitness in time for a major race.

“I don’t think it’s totally out of reach in the next season or so. Seriously, who would be surprised if I did it? Who’s going to stop me from going fast? The only man who can bring an end to my status as a star of track and field in the next couple of years is me, and I’m a phenomenon, a serious competitor — a legend for my generation. Believe me, my time isn’t’ up just yet.”

Bolt is 27. Michael Johnson set his 200m world record of 19.32 at the 1996 Olympics when he was 28.

Bolt previously announced his goal of breaking the 200m world record next year in a press conference in September.

“I have learned, I have mastered the art of running the turn,” Bolt said. “So if I can stay injury free and be in good shape, then it’s possible for me to definitely go after the world record.”

Bolt among three finalists for World Athlete of the Year

Latest Posts
  1. Rio Olympic Park construction progress (photos)

Nov 28, 2014, 2:57 PM EST

Rio Olympic Park

How the venues for basketball, swimming and other sports are coming along.

2. Mikaela Shiffrin: ‘I’m trying to show people what’s not impossible’

Nov 28, 2014, 11:33 AM EST

Mikaela Shiffrin Getty Images

The youngest Olympic slalom champion tries to emulate one skier above all the rest — an Olympic men’s champion.

3. Four-year ban sought for Carolina Kostner

Nov 28, 2014, 11:17 AM EST

Carolina Kostner Getty Images

Kostner, the Olympic and World figure skating bronze medalist, is taking this season off.

4. Seb Coe outlines concerns for track and field, eyes IAAF presidency

Nov 28, 2014, 11:01 AM EST

Seb Coe Getty Images

Coe sees problems with the World Championships and Diamond League.

5. Iouri Podladtchikov out after ankle surgery

Nov 28, 2014, 10:41 AM EST

Iouri Podladtchikov Getty Images

Olympic champion’s status for World Championships in January is unclear.

6. Gracie Gold leads NHK Trophy; Yuzuru Hanyu struggles

Nov 28, 2014, 10:30 AM EST

Gracie Gold Getty Images

Grand Prix final picture includes plenty of Americans.

7. Rio Olympic golf course work can continue, judge orders

Nov 28, 2014, 9:42 AM EST

Rio Olympic golf course AP

Legal battle may not be finished, however.

8. Sapporo mayor plans 2026 Winter Olympic bid

Nov 28, 2014, 9:24 AM EST

Sapporo Getty Images

Japanese site could break a 46-year Winter Olympic streak.

9. Viktor Tikhonov tribute held at hockey arena (video)

Nov 28, 2014, 8:47 AM EST

Viktor Tikhonov Getty Images

Tikhonov died earlier this week at 84 after a long illness.

10. Ted Ligety (wrist) out this weekend

Nov 28, 2014, 8:15 AM EST

Ted Ligety Getty Images

Olympic champion hopes to return for Beaver Creek next weekend.

11. NBC Sports, Universal to air unprecedented U.S. ski, snowboard coverage this season

Nov 26, 2014, 1:06 PM EST

Ted Ligety Getty Images

Full schedule of coverage across World Cups, Grand Prix events and World Championships.

12. U.S. figure skaters officially bronze medalists, 50 years later

Nov 26, 2014, 7:42 AM EST

Vivian Joseph, Ronald Joseph Getty Images

Sister-brother team had bronze medals, but the official results didn’t reflect that until Tuesday.

13. Katie Ledecky faces decisions in 2015, 2016

Nov 25, 2014, 10:46 AM EST

Katie Ledecky Getty Images

Scheduling conflicts, another new event?

14. Rio Olympic commemorative coins to be issued

Nov 25, 2014, 9:27 AM EST

Rio Olympic coins

Christ the Redeemer, Olympic motto honored on the coins.

15. Michael Phelps back in the pool; Phelps, Ledecky win Golden Goggles

Nov 24, 2014, 10:23 PM EST

Michael Phelps Getty Images

Phelps is working toward 2015 goals, a North Baltimore official said.

16. Pat Quinn, who coached Canada to gold in 2002, dies at 71

Nov 24, 2014, 11:25 AM EST

Pat Quinn Getty Images

Canada won its first men’s hockey Olympic gold in 50 years under Quinn.

17. Claressa Shields, Marlen Esparza win World Boxing Championships

Nov 24, 2014, 10:11 AM EST

Claressa Shields Getty Images

Olympic champion Shields was named the tournament’s best overall boxer.

18. Viktor Tikhonov, Soviet Union Olympic hockey coach, dies at 84

Nov 24, 2014, 9:17 AM EST

Viktor Tikhonov Getty Images

Tikhonov led the Soviets in the Miracle on Ice game.