Usain Bolt: Sub-19 would be bigger success than more Olympic medals

Nov 7, 2013, 8:47 AM EST

Usain Bolt Reuters

What’s tougher — eating 1,000 chicken McNuggets or breaking 20 seconds in the 200m?

Bolt addressed both in his recently released autobiography, “Faster Than Lightning.” We know about the McNuggets story from the Beijing Olympics.

In another excerpt, Bolt said he could break his world record in the 200m (19.19) and run sub-19 as early as 2014. That’s a daunting task, given Bolt’s quickest time since his 19.19 world record in 2009 is a 19.32 at the 2012 Olympics.

“Supposing I don’t make any quicker times in the 100, I would love to be able to run 18-something seconds in the 200, even if it was an 18.99 race,” Bolt wrote, according to the International Sports Press Association. “Forget making the next Olympics and the medals, breaking that time would be an ever bigger success. I’d love to crack it, knowing that people were sitting in their homes and losing their minds at my achievement.

“To reach that landmark pace, I would need to have the perfect season, like the one I had in ’08. I think next year could be my shot at it, though the window of opportunity is getting smaller with every campaign. The older I get, the narrower that window becomes; the harder it is form me to reach peak fitness in time for a major race.

“I don’t think it’s totally out of reach in the next season or so. Seriously, who would be surprised if I did it? Who’s going to stop me from going fast? The only man who can bring an end to my status as a star of track and field in the next couple of years is me, and I’m a phenomenon, a serious competitor — a legend for my generation. Believe me, my time isn’t’ up just yet.”

Bolt is 27. Michael Johnson set his 200m world record of 19.32 at the 1996 Olympics when he was 28.

Bolt previously announced his goal of breaking the 200m world record next year in a press conference in September.

“I have learned, I have mastered the art of running the turn,” Bolt said. “So if I can stay injury free and be in good shape, then it’s possible for me to definitely go after the world record.”

Bolt among three finalists for World Athlete of the Year

Latest Posts
  1. Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir at Super Bowl Media Day (video)

Jan 30, 2015, 4:53 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

NBC’s figure skating analysts will be part of Super Bowl XLIX pregame coverage starting at noon ET on Sunday.

2. Galen Rupp talks training with Mo Farah, marathons, weird drug test story

Jan 30, 2015, 4:12 PM EST

Galen Rupp Getty Images

Rupp will compete in the Armory Track Invitational on NBCSN on Saturday.

3. Russian Olympic, World champions get doping bans

Jan 30, 2015, 11:00 AM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Tatyana Chernova beat Jessica Ennis at the 2011 World Championships.

4. Rita Jeptoo gets two-year doping ban

Jan 30, 2015, 9:32 AM EST

AP AP

The ban would rule Jeptoo out of the Rio Olympics.

5. World Alpine Skiing Championships broadcast schedule

Jan 29, 2015, 3:37 PM EST

Lindsey Vonn, Mikaela Shiffrin Getty Images

How to watch Lindsey Vonn, Mikaela Shiffrin and more go for gold in Colorado.

6. Boston Marathon finish line shoveled by Ironman triathlete

Jan 28, 2015, 3:23 PM EST

Boston Marathon finish line shoveled

“I only did it to send a message,” shoveler said.

7. K.C. Boutiette returns to World Cup speed skating for first time since 2006

Jan 28, 2015, 2:02 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

An Olympic legend helped convince him to come back, possibly for the 2018 Olympics.

8. Tori Bowie ‘going after medals’ after breakthrough season

Jan 27, 2015, 4:14 PM EST

Tori Bowie Getty Images

Bowie may try to make the World Championships team in three individual events.

9. Yohan Blake details ‘dreams’ for 2015

Jan 27, 2015, 2:37 PM EST

Yohan Blake Getty Images

Once Usain Bolt’s top rival, the Jamaican is returning from a second major injury in as many years.

10. Lance Armstrong on forgiveness: ‘We’re getting close to that time’

Jan 26, 2015, 2:41 PM EST

AP AP

Armstrong touched on many topics in a BBC interview.

11. Martina Hingis eyes Rio Olympics

Jan 26, 2015, 10:58 AM EST

Martina Hingis Getty Images

Could Hingis return to Olympic tennis, 20 years after her only Olympic appearance?

12. South Korean Olympic swim champ Park Tae-hwan fails drug test

Jan 26, 2015, 8:41 AM EST

Park Tae-hwan Getty Images

Park’s management agency cited “an illegal injection administered by a local doctor.”

13. Jason Brown wins first U.S. figure skating title

Jan 25, 2015, 9:48 PM EST

AP AP

Brown is the youngest U.S. men’s champion since 2004.

14. Sage Kotsenburg, Jamie Anderson beaten in Winter X Games slopestyle

Jan 25, 2015, 7:35 PM EST

Sage Kotsenburg Getty Images

Instead, past Winter X Games champions prevailed in Aspen.

15. WATCH LIVE: U.S. Figure Skating Championships men’s free skate — 4 p.m. ET

Jan 25, 2015, 3:00 PM EST

Jason Brown Getty Images

Jason Brown tries to become the youngest U.S. men’s champion since 2004.

16. WATCH LIVE: ‘Lindsey Vonn: The Climb’ documentary — 3 p.m. ET

Jan 25, 2015, 2:00 PM EST

Lindsey Vonn

An inside look at the skier’s comeback from two major knee surgeries.

17. Lindsey Vonn wins final race before World Championships (video)

Jan 25, 2015, 7:36 AM EST

AP AP

Vonn captured victory No. 64 in St. Moritz, Switzerland.

18. Ashley Wagner shatters records for third U.S. figure skating title

Jan 24, 2015, 11:50 PM EST

Ashley Wagner Getty Images

Wagner becomes the oldest women’s champion since Michelle Kwan.