Usain Bolt: Sub-19 would be bigger success than more Olympic medals

Nov 7, 2013, 8:47 AM EDT

Usain Bolt Reuters

What’s tougher — eating 1,000 chicken McNuggets or breaking 20 seconds in the 200m?

Bolt addressed both in his recently released autobiography, “Faster Than Lightning.” We know about the McNuggets story from the Beijing Olympics.

In another excerpt, Bolt said he could break his world record in the 200m (19.19) and run sub-19 as early as 2014. That’s a daunting task, given Bolt’s quickest time since his 19.19 world record in 2009 is a 19.32 at the 2012 Olympics.

“Supposing I don’t make any quicker times in the 100, I would love to be able to run 18-something seconds in the 200, even if it was an 18.99 race,” Bolt wrote, according to the International Sports Press Association. “Forget making the next Olympics and the medals, breaking that time would be an ever bigger success. I’d love to crack it, knowing that people were sitting in their homes and losing their minds at my achievement.

“To reach that landmark pace, I would need to have the perfect season, like the one I had in ’08. I think next year could be my shot at it, though the window of opportunity is getting smaller with every campaign. The older I get, the narrower that window becomes; the harder it is form me to reach peak fitness in time for a major race.

“I don’t think it’s totally out of reach in the next season or so. Seriously, who would be surprised if I did it? Who’s going to stop me from going fast? The only man who can bring an end to my status as a star of track and field in the next couple of years is me, and I’m a phenomenon, a serious competitor — a legend for my generation. Believe me, my time isn’t’ up just yet.”

Bolt is 27. Michael Johnson set his 200m world record of 19.32 at the 1996 Olympics when he was 28.

Bolt previously announced his goal of breaking the 200m world record next year in a press conference in September.

“I have learned, I have mastered the art of running the turn,” Bolt said. “So if I can stay injury free and be in good shape, then it’s possible for me to definitely go after the world record.”

Bolt among three finalists for World Athlete of the Year