Usain Bolt: Sub-19 would be bigger success than more Olympic medals

Nov 7, 2013, 8:47 AM EDT

Usain Bolt Reuters

What’s tougher — eating 1,000 chicken McNuggets or breaking 20 seconds in the 200m?

Bolt addressed both in his recently released autobiography, “Faster Than Lightning.” We know about the McNuggets story from the Beijing Olympics.

In another excerpt, Bolt said he could break his world record in the 200m (19.19) and run sub-19 as early as 2014. That’s a daunting task, given Bolt’s quickest time since his 19.19 world record in 2009 is a 19.32 at the 2012 Olympics.

“Supposing I don’t make any quicker times in the 100, I would love to be able to run 18-something seconds in the 200, even if it was an 18.99 race,” Bolt wrote, according to the International Sports Press Association. “Forget making the next Olympics and the medals, breaking that time would be an ever bigger success. I’d love to crack it, knowing that people were sitting in their homes and losing their minds at my achievement.

“To reach that landmark pace, I would need to have the perfect season, like the one I had in ’08. I think next year could be my shot at it, though the window of opportunity is getting smaller with every campaign. The older I get, the narrower that window becomes; the harder it is form me to reach peak fitness in time for a major race.

“I don’t think it’s totally out of reach in the next season or so. Seriously, who would be surprised if I did it? Who’s going to stop me from going fast? The only man who can bring an end to my status as a star of track and field in the next couple of years is me, and I’m a phenomenon, a serious competitor — a legend for my generation. Believe me, my time isn’t’ up just yet.”

Bolt is 27. Michael Johnson set his 200m world record of 19.32 at the 1996 Olympics when he was 28.

Bolt previously announced his goal of breaking the 200m world record next year in a press conference in September.

“I have learned, I have mastered the art of running the turn,” Bolt said. “So if I can stay injury free and be in good shape, then it’s possible for me to definitely go after the world record.”

Bolt among three finalists for World Athlete of the Year

Latest Posts
  1. The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record

Oct 20, 2014, 2:52 PM EDT

Mike Powell Getty Images

A look back at the greatest head-to-head duel in track and field history.

2. Bill Demong to run New York City Marathon

Oct 20, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT

Bill Demong Getty Images

Olympic champion hasn’t retired from Nordic combined, either.

3. Bangalore half marathon leaders get lost, forced to take train

Oct 20, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT

Bangalore Marathon Getty Images

“Morning joggers helped us and also guided us to the nearest metro station.”

4. Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale have Olympic 100m final speed, Liverpool manager says

Oct 20, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT

Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale Getty Images

How fast would they have to traverse the Bernabeu to have Olympic 100m final speed?

5. Lindsey Vonn still struggles with depression

Oct 20, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT

Lindsey Vonn Getty Images

Olympic downhill champion told German magazine she has good days and bad days.

6. Apolo Ohno on Ironman: A milestone among my 8 Olympic medals

Oct 20, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Apolo Ohno AP

Ohno said he went into “full warrior mode” in Hawaii.

7. Beijing Marathon run through smog (video, photos)

Oct 20, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT

ATHLETICS-CHN-MARATHON-BEIJING Getty Images

U.S. Embassy scale had air pollution level at “hazardous.”

8. IOC wants ‘full explanation’ from Russian about ‘Williams brothers’ comments

Oct 20, 2014, 8:37 AM EDT

Shamil Tarpischev Getty Images

Shamil Tarpischev, Russian tennis president, is also a longtime IOC member.

9. Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season

Oct 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT

Aksel Lund Svindal Getty Images

How top Americans, Austrian going for history will be affected this World Cup season.

10. Shaun White brings Air & Style event to Rose Bowl

Oct 17, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT

Shaun White Getty Images

Two-time Olympic halfpipe champion won’t be competing, though.

11. Michelle Kwan, Sarah Hughes opine on skating to lyrics

Oct 17, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT

Michelle Kwan Getty Images

Top U.S. skaters are incorporating new rule into their programs this season.

12. Oscar Pistorius’ sentence expected Tuesday

Oct 17, 2014, 9:41 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius Getty Images

Runner faces up to 15 years in prison.

13. Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists

Oct 17, 2014, 6:48 AM EDT

Justin Gatlin Getty Images

Gatlin’s inclusion on previous 10-man nomination list drew criticism.

14. Noelle Pikus-Pace: I already miss skeleton, but happily retired

Oct 16, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT

Noelle Pikus-Pace Getty Images

Olympic silver medalist has an interesting post-skeleton bucket list.

15. Simone Biles still buzzing after World Championships whirlwind

Oct 16, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT

Simone Biles Getty Images

Biles recalls bee tale, talks of specific vault upgrade, uneven bars hatred.

16. J.R. Celski not on U.S. short track team for World Cups

Oct 16, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT

J.R. Celski Getty Images

Three-time Olympic medalist previously said he was taking a break.

17. Simone Biles returns home to pack of gymnasts (video)

Oct 15, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT

Simone Biles

Biles talks about the bee and what’s next.

18. Ryan Lochte makes teen swimmer’s wish come true

Oct 15, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT

Ryan Lochte Getty Images

Erik Nieman, 15, flew from Arkansas to Charlotte for a special training session.

19. Gracie Gold calls audible, adds lyrics for post-Olympic season

Oct 15, 2014, 10:12 AM EDT

Gracie Gold Getty Images

U.S. champion makes her Grand Prix season debut at Skate America next week.

Yogging a hit at Youth Olympic Games