Nov 7, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
Ryan Lochte’s MCL tear was not severe enough to require surgery, his dad told the Daytona Beach News-Journal.
The 11-time Olympic medalist tore his left MCL and sprained his ACL after a teenage girl ran to him, he caught her and they both fell. His knee hit a curb, according to Lochte’s publicist.
Instead of surgery, Lochte will rehab for eight to 10 weeks, according to the newspaper.
He will miss the Duel in the Pool, Dec. 20-21 in Scotland. Lochte will instead aim to return in August, when the USA Swimming National Championships and the Pan Pacific Championships (in Australia) take place.
- Michael Phelps, Missy Franklin 4th in 100 free, win Pan Pacs relay golds 0
- Simone Biles dominates to open P&G Championships 0
- Amy Van Dyken-Rouen stands, walks with assistance for first time since accident (video) 1
- Sam Mikulak leads one of most decorated P&G Championships fields ever 0
- Katie Ledecky wins 2 Pan Pacs titles; Missy Franklin places 3rd 1
- Simone Biles a tall favorite at P&G Championships; women’s preview 0
- Jennie Finch, Lisa Fernandez weigh in on Mo’ne Davis 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)