Nov 7, 2013, 10:47 PM EST
Ryan Lochte’s MCL tear was not severe enough to require surgery, his dad told the Daytona Beach News-Journal.
The 11-time Olympic medalist tore his left MCL and sprained his ACL after a teenage girl ran to him, he caught her and they both fell. His knee hit a curb, according to Lochte’s publicist.
Instead of surgery, Lochte will rehab for eight to 10 weeks, according to the newspaper.
He will miss the Duel in the Pool, Dec. 20-21 in Scotland. Lochte will instead aim to return in August, when the USA Swimming National Championships and the Pan Pacific Championships (in Australia) take place.
- U.S. will bid for 2024 Olympics, no city chosen yet 5
- Adrian Peterson won’t try for Olympics, but other RBs might 2
- Rio Olympic track and field schedule released 1
- Rome to bid for 2024 Olympics, possible events in Vatican City 0
- Yuzuru Hanyu repeats as Grand Prix Final champion (video) 0
- Ashley Wagner denies Russian sweep at Grand Prix Final (video) 0
- Mikaela Shiffrin: I have to learn how to come back 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)