Nov 7, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
Ryan Lochte’s MCL tear was not severe enough to require surgery, his dad told the Daytona Beach News-Journal.
The 11-time Olympic medalist tore his left MCL and sprained his ACL after a teenage girl ran to him, he caught her and they both fell. His knee hit a curb, according to Lochte’s publicist.
Instead of surgery, Lochte will rehab for eight to 10 weeks, according to the newspaper.
He will miss the Duel in the Pool, Dec. 20-21 in Scotland. Lochte will instead aim to return in August, when the USA Swimming National Championships and the Pan Pacific Championships (in Australia) take place.
- Kosuke Hagino: I’m trying to become like Michael Phelps 0
- Poland wins World Volleyball Championship at home, pandemonium (photos, videos) 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross complete perfect AVP season after wardrobe malfunction 0
- Katie Ledecky wins USA Swimming Athlete of the Year; who are World Swimmers of the Year? 0
- Wallace Spearmon fails drug test, banned 3 months 0
- Ato Boldon’s track and field season awards 1
- Analyzing the U.S. gymnastics women’s World Championships team 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)