Nov 7, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
Ryan Lochte’s MCL tear was not severe enough to require surgery, his dad told the Daytona Beach News-Journal.
The 11-time Olympic medalist tore his left MCL and sprained his ACL after a teenage girl ran to him, he caught her and they both fell. His knee hit a curb, according to Lochte’s publicist.
Instead of surgery, Lochte will rehab for eight to 10 weeks, according to the newspaper.
He will miss the Duel in the Pool, Dec. 20-21 in Scotland. Lochte will instead aim to return in August, when the USA Swimming National Championships and the Pan Pacific Championships (in Australia) take place.
- Meryl Davis, Charlie White won’t compete next season 0
- Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman competitive with U.S. teammates in comeback 0
- Javier Fernandez wins upset World Championship; top American fourth 0
- Elizaveta Tuktamysheva wins World Championship; U.S. just misses medals 0
- How to watch Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman’s comeback gymnastics meet 0
- Yuzuru Hanyu tops World Championships short program; Jason Brown leads Americans 0
- U.S. women struggle, trail Russian brilliance after World Championships short program 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)