Nov 7, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
Ryan Lochte’s MCL tear was not severe enough to require surgery, his dad told the Daytona Beach News-Journal.
The 11-time Olympic medalist tore his left MCL and sprained his ACL after a teenage girl ran to him, he caught her and they both fell. His knee hit a curb, according to Lochte’s publicist.
Instead of surgery, Lochte will rehab for eight to 10 weeks, according to the newspaper.
He will miss the Duel in the Pool, Dec. 20-21 in Scotland. Lochte will instead aim to return in August, when the USA Swimming National Championships and the Pan Pacific Championships (in Australia) take place.
- Usain Bolt eases Jamaica to win in his first race of 2014 0
- Gabby Douglas out of P&G Championships, at new gym, report says 0
- Simone Biles returns to Secret Classic a different gymnast 0
- Meb Keflezighi, Caroline Wozniacki to run New York City Marathon 0
- U.S. swimming rankings going into National Championships 0
- German long jump champion, a Paralympian, left off European Championships roster 3
- Eddy Alvarez heats up in Arizona League 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)