Nov 6, 2013, 10:27 AM EDT
The Bird’s Nest, home of the memorable 2008 Olympic Opening Ceremony, will hold freestyle skiing events in December.
The 2008 Beijing Olympic Stadium will host World Cup aerials skiing competitions Dec. 20-21, according to the International Ski Federation (FIS).
FIS said it plans to for the Beijing stop to be an annual one through the 2018 Winter Olympics. China is becoming an aerials powerhouse. The high-flying, twisting, flipping sport lends itself to athletes with gymnastics backgrounds.
China had four of the top seven women’s aerials finishers at the 2010 Olympics, including silver and bronze medalists Li Nina and Guo Xinxin.
It had three of the top seven men’s finishers, including bronze medalist Liu Zhongqing.
Chinese also swept the 2013 World Championships and World Cup overall standings for men (Qi Guangpu and Jia Zongyang) and women (Xu Mengtao).
- Katie Ledecky wins 2 Pan Pacs titles; Missy Franklin places 3rd 0
- Simone Biles a tall favorite at P&G Championships; women’s preview 0
- Jennie Finch, Lisa Fernandez weigh in on Mo’ne Davis 0
- Pan Pacific Championships men’s events preview 0
- Pan Pacific Championships women’s events preview 0
- Missy Franklin (back) in doubt for Pan Pacific Championships 0
- Golf debuts at Youth Olympics with hole-in-one (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)