Nov 5, 2013, 5:56 PM EDT
A run-in with a fan in Florida left Ryan Lochte with serious knee injuries.
The 11-time Olympic medalist tore an MCL and sprained an ACL after a teenage girl ran at him, he caught her and they both toppled over Sunday, according to USA Today.
Lochte hit his knee on a curb. A Lochte representative confirmed the report.
“As a result of a freak injury caused by an unexpected fan encounter Ryan has suffered a torn MCL and an ACL sprain and will be taking a break from training and competition,” read a statement from a Lochte representative. “His medical team expects him to make a full and speedy recovery and Ryan thanks everyone for their well wishes.”
This is not Lochte’s first bizarre injury.
He tore his left meniscus break dancing, fractured a shoulder falling out of a tree, fractured a foot in a scooter accident, sprained his ankle chasing his Doberman, Carter, strained an MCL reaching for a cellphone in his car and has hurt himself skateboarding, according to various reports over the years.
Lochte, who recently moved from Florida to Charlotte, had been scheduled to compete for Team USA at Duel in the Pool, Dec. 20-21, in Scotland.
That appears unlikely now, though Lochte’s representative did not have a comment.
- Missy Franklin on her dream relay, unusual autographs, ‘the worm’ 0
- Tanith Belbin, Charlie White get married 1
- Bruce Jenner: I’m a woman; Olympians react 4
- Michael Phelps to move to Arizona with coach Bob Bowman 0
- Simone Biles discusses Martha Karolyi’s team selfie, U.S. teammates, more 0
- Usain Bolt: Tyson Gay’s reduced ban ‘the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard’ 0
- Doug E. Doug reflects on ‘Cool Runnings’ 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)