Nov 5, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT
The Olympic flame has been extinguished an average of more than once per day during the Sochi Olympic torch relay, according to a journalist following the record trek.
The flame has gone out at least 44 times, according to the Moscow Times.
A torch relay spokesman told Reuters the number of flameouts was within the normal range of error, comparing it to incidents during the Beijing and London torch relays. The spokesman did not say how many times the flame went out.
The Sochi Olympic torch relay began Oct. 7 in Moscow — after being lit Sept. 29 in Olympia. It infamously went out minutes into the first leg in Moscow, when a man with a lighter relit the torch at the Kremlin.
The relay is set to last 123 days — up to the Opening Ceremony on Feb. 7 — and cross 40,000 miles, the longest relay in Olympic Winter Games history. Its next major journey is to the International Space Station later this week.
Apr 20, 2015, 3:14 PM EDT
“To become one of greatest gymnasts of all time, you have to have a little bit more.”
Apr 20, 2015, 3:10 PM EDT
The top U.S. finisher was an Olympian in fourth.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT
Bolt picked two sprinters across history he would like to race against.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
Leveaux details his claim in an upcoming autobiography.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:17 AM EDT
Not even Michael Phelps has attempted this.
Apr 18, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Katie Ledecky also flirted with a world record.
Apr 18, 2015, 10:17 AM EDT
The U.S. appears to have a better shot in the women’s race.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:09 AM EDT
Phelps has raced against a record-breaking woman before.
Apr 17, 2015, 8:35 PM EDT
“I’m like, Michael, 2016, Rio, 50 free, 100 free, just a relay.”
Apr 17, 2015, 3:06 PM EDT
The finals are at 9 p.m. ET on Universal Sports.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT
Plushenko wants to compete in a fifth Olympics in 2018.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:29 AM EDT
It took organizers about 20 minutes to figure out what happened Sunday.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:09 AM EDT
“It doesn’t seem like she has served a ban.”
Apr 17, 2015, 8:42 AM EDT
Phelps outdueled Ryan Lochte, but he was slower than last year.
Apr 16, 2015, 3:16 PM EDT
If Phelps is added by FINA, the U.S. might be able to try for podium sweeps at the World Championships.
Apr 16, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Phelps and Ryan Lochte appear headed for a showdown Thursday night.
Apr 16, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
Canada has a shot to qualify for its first Olympics since 2000.
Apr 16, 2015, 11:04 AM EDT
“There is no legitimate case for nationality change,” a British official said.
Apr 16, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT
See Eugene’s bid video for 2019 that failed to get a taste of what Worlds will be like in the U.S.
Apr 15, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT
The gold-medal game will be live on NBCSN.
- Vitaly Scherbo weighs in on Kohei Uchimura 0
- Meb Keflezighi eighth after stopping, throwing up, crying at Boston Marathon 1
- Usain Bolt runs his slowest 100m final ever; Brazil TV simulates Bolt’s dream 100m race 2
- Katie Ledecky eyes daunting double at World Championships 0
- Michael Phelps, Ryan Lochte split duels in Mesa 0
- Boston Marathon preview: Can Meb Keflezighi repeat? 0
- Michael Phelps jokingly challenges Katie Ledecky to race 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)