Nov 5, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT
The Olympic flame has been extinguished an average of more than once per day during the Sochi Olympic torch relay, according to a journalist following the record trek.
The flame has gone out at least 44 times, according to the Moscow Times.
A torch relay spokesman told Reuters the number of flameouts was within the normal range of error, comparing it to incidents during the Beijing and London torch relays. The spokesman did not say how many times the flame went out.
The Sochi Olympic torch relay began Oct. 7 in Moscow — after being lit Sept. 29 in Olympia. It infamously went out minutes into the first leg in Moscow, when a man with a lighter relit the torch at the Kremlin.
The relay is set to last 123 days — up to the Opening Ceremony on Feb. 7 — and cross 40,000 miles, the longest relay in Olympic Winter Games history. Its next major journey is to the International Space Station later this week.
Sep 2, 2015, 4:02 PM EDT
The four-time U.S. champion isn’t retiring yet.
Sep 2, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT
Some of the names most associated with Los Angeles professional sports teams are Olympians.
Sep 2, 2015, 11:27 AM EDT
One event includes 2015 World champions from three different events.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
“I can hardly imagine that it is possible given the schedule.”
Sep 2, 2015, 9:19 AM EDT
An African nation has never hosted an Olympics.
Sep 1, 2015, 5:11 PM EDT
Budapest, Hamburg, Paris and Rome previously announced bids.
Sep 1, 2015, 1:51 PM EDT
Walsh Jennings and April Ross will have little to no wiggle room in Olympic qualifying next year.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
She could become the second oldest Olympic singles player since the sport returned to the Games in 1988.
Sep 1, 2015, 8:58 AM EDT
A competition will be held to pick a new logo.
Aug 31, 2015, 4:20 PM EDT
Olympic champions came through and potential future Olympic stars broke out.
Aug 31, 2015, 2:47 PM EDT
One world record and many near marks on the track and in the field.
Aug 31, 2015, 12:09 PM EDT
Kidney failure, a Segway and goat blood.
Aug 30, 2015, 6:14 PM EDT
The Nigerian team is led by an NBA veteran.
Aug 30, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT
It can’t become official until later this week.
Aug 30, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
“I’m going to cut the goat … and drink the blood.”
Aug 29, 2015, 11:35 AM EDT
Jamaica swept the relays.
Aug 29, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
Eaton was competing in his first decathlon in more than two years and wore a cooling hood.
Aug 28, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
“That feeling of wanting to crawl out of your skin.”
Aug 28, 2015, 12:42 PM EDT
“No chance for rematch,” a meet director said.
Aug 28, 2015, 11:13 AM EDT
Davis, the second youngest U.S. Olympic basketball player ever in 2012, played the fewest minutes for Team USA at the London Games.
- Los Angeles’ ties to the Olympics 1
- Five events to watch at Zurich Diamond League 0
- Los Angeles 2024 Olympic bid is official 1
- Top ten storylines from World Track and Field Championships 0
- USOC, Los Angeles agree to 2024 Olympic bid, reports say 1
- U.S. finishes World Championships with fewest medals since 2003 3
- Usain Bolt anchors Jamaica to 4x100m relay gold after U.S. mishap 8
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (62)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)