Nov 5, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT
The Olympic flame has been extinguished an average of more than once per day during the Sochi Olympic torch relay, according to a journalist following the record trek.
The flame has gone out at least 44 times, according to the Moscow Times.
A torch relay spokesman told Reuters the number of flameouts was within the normal range of error, comparing it to incidents during the Beijing and London torch relays. The spokesman did not say how many times the flame went out.
The Sochi Olympic torch relay began Oct. 7 in Moscow — after being lit Sept. 29 in Olympia. It infamously went out minutes into the first leg in Moscow, when a man with a lighter relit the torch at the Kremlin.
The relay is set to last 123 days — up to the Opening Ceremony on Feb. 7 — and cross 40,000 miles, the longest relay in Olympic Winter Games history. Its next major journey is to the International Space Station later this week.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
Top sprinters from Jamaica, swimmers from Australia and more gather in Glasgow.
Jul 21, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT
U.S. stars would not make the Olympic field if it was determined today.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT
NCAA’s current lawsuits may cut funding.
Jul 21, 2014, 2:11 PM EDT
“It’s inconceivable,” Maarten de Jonge said.
Jul 21, 2014, 12:51 PM EDT
NCAA Player of the Year was tournament MVP.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT
Extraordinary men include war veterans, longtime NASA worker, Methodist minister.
Jul 21, 2014, 8:33 AM EDT
Kim Jin-sun had been the committee’s president since October 2011.
Jul 18, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
U.S. sprinters shatter personal bests.
Jul 18, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
U.S. Olympic flag bearer returned to the podium after missing medals at 2012 Olympics, 2013 Worlds.
Jul 18, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
Ellard triple jumped at 1992 U.S. Olympic Trials.
Jul 17, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT
Multiple Owens biopics in the works.
Jul 17, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
But a four-year ban would stand up in court.
Jul 17, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
Sochi stars and a 12-time Olympic medalist were at Nokia Theater.
Jul 17, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT
Asbel Kiprop goes after 16-year-old mark in 1500m.
Jul 17, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT
Host countries aren’t assured spots in the Olympics anymore, and South Korea is ranked very low.
Jul 17, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Sweeney, a Purple Heart recipient, scored the gold-winning goal in Sochi.
Jul 16, 2014, 8:46 PM EDT
Douglas previously said she hoped to return to competition in August.
Jul 16, 2014, 1:56 PM EDT
Friends meet for exhibition two miles above sea level.
Jul 16, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Zhang retired, but Bartholomay will skate on.
Jul 16, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
Catanzaro is the first woman to accomplish the feat.
- Guide to the Commonwealth Games 0
- 90-plus-year-old men set 3 world relay records at USATF Masters 0
- Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics chief quits 0
- Tori Bowie, Justin Gatlin star at Monaco Diamond League meet 0
- Mariel Zagunis wins silver at World Fencing Championships (video) 0
- Monaco Diamond League on world record watch; preview 0
- Gabby Douglas leaves coach Liang Chow, again 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)