Oct 31, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
If Lolo Jones makes the Olympic team, she won’t be the only U.S. Summer Olympian involved in competition in Sochi.
Phoebe Mills, a 1988 Olympic bronze medalist in gymnastics, will be working in Sochi as a judge for snowboard’s halfpipe and slopestyle, according to ESPN.com.
Mills won the only U.S. gymnastics medal at the 1988 Olympics, a bronze on the balance beam, at age 15. Coached by Bela Karolyi, she also took 15th in the all-around and was a member of the U.S. team that finished fourth in Seoul.
Mills then switched diving, finishing 23rd at the 1992 U.S. Championships (where the top 12 advanced to the U.S. Olympic Trials for Barcelona).
She began learning to snowboard in 1995 and then began coaching the sport, including Olympic medalists Hannah Teter and Danny Kass, according to ESPN. She’s been a judge since 2004.
Her brother, Nathaniel, competed in speedskating at the 1992, 1994 and 1998 Olympics.
So, how do you train to judge at the Olympics?
Mills said she studies film and watches competitions in person. It helps not to be surprised by new tricks at the Olympics. She added that the most impressive thing she’s seen from a snowboarder wasn’t from Shaun White but one of his main rivals, Swiss Iouri Podladtchikov.
He did a cab double cork 1440 — the YOLO flip — at the Winter X Games in Tignes, France, in March.
What about White’s tricks?
“In some ways Shaun likes to keep things really under wraps, but to me it would be an advantage to have us see it — instead of being surprised and like, ‘Whoa, what was that? Did he actually grab his board while he did all those spins and flips?'” she said.
- Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte miss medals; Katie Ledecky breaks record at Worlds 0
- Misty May-Treanor competes for first time in 3 years, not a comeback 0
- Katinka Hosszu, Sarah Sjostrom break records; Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte make finals at World Championships 0
- Katie Ledecky breaks 1500m freestyle world record again 1
- Katie Ledecky, Sun Yang open quests for history with golds at World Championships 0
- Gwen Jorgensen, Sarah True make 2016 U.S. Olympic triathlon team 0
- USOC to talk with other three finalists to replace Boston 2024 Olympic bid 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)