Oct 31, 2013, 8:23 AM EST
If Lolo Jones makes the Olympic team, she won’t be the only U.S. Summer Olympian involved in competition in Sochi.
Phoebe Mills, a 1988 Olympic bronze medalist in gymnastics, will be working in Sochi as a judge for snowboard’s halfpipe and slopestyle, according to ESPN.com.
Mills won the only U.S. gymnastics medal at the 1988 Olympics, a bronze on the balance beam, at age 15. Coached by Bela Karolyi, she also took 15th in the all-around and was a member of the U.S. team that finished fourth in Seoul.
Mills then switched diving, finishing 23rd at the 1992 U.S. Championships (where the top 12 advanced to the U.S. Olympic Trials for Barcelona).
She began learning to snowboard in 1995 and then began coaching the sport, including Olympic medalists Hannah Teter and Danny Kass, according to ESPN. She’s been a judge since 2004.
Her brother, Nathaniel, competed in speedskating at the 1992, 1994 and 1998 Olympics.
So, how do you train to judge at the Olympics?
Mills said she studies film and watches competitions in person. It helps not to be surprised by new tricks at the Olympics. She added that the most impressive thing she’s seen from a snowboarder wasn’t from Shaun White but one of his main rivals, Swiss Iouri Podladtchikov.
He did a cab double cork 1440 — the YOLO flip — at the Winter X Games in Tignes, France, in March.
What about White’s tricks?
“In some ways Shaun likes to keep things really under wraps, but to me it would be an advantage to have us see it — instead of being surprised and like, ‘Whoa, what was that? Did he actually grab his board while he did all those spins and flips?'” she said.
- Lindsey Vonn OK after fall in Val d’Isere super-G (video) 0
- Lindsey Vonn wins cow in Val d’Isere, one victory from record 0
- Michael Phelps gets probation after guilty plea in DUI case 6
- Stephen Colbert and the Olympics 0
- U.S. will bid for 2024 Olympics, no city chosen yet 6
- Adrian Peterson won’t try for Olympics, but other RBs might 2
- Rio Olympic track and field schedule released 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)