Oct 30, 2013, 9:59 AM EDT
Olympic champion gymnast Nastia Liukin will report for NBC Olympics’ multi-platform coverage of the Sochi Games in February.
Liukin, a dual U.S.-Russia citizen born in Moscow, will present daily features for “The Olympic Zone,” a 30-minute daily show for NBC affiliates covering all aspects of the Games.
This will be the second Olympics with NBC for Liukin, who turned 24 on Wednesday. The 2008 Olympic all-around champion retired before the 2012 Games and served as a contributor for NBCOlympics.com in London.
Her father, Valeri, won four gymnastics medals for the Soviet Union at the 1988 Seoul Olympics. Her mother, Anna, won a World Championship in rhythmic gymnastics for the Soviet Union in 1987.
“Nastia is a decorated Olympic champion who brings a unique perspective to Russia’s first Winter Olympics, both as an athlete and a member of a family with a tremendous sports legacy dating back to the former Soviet Union,” said Jim Bell, Executive Producer of NBC Olympics.
Last week, Olympic figure skaters Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski and Tanith Belbin joined NBC Olympics’ team.
Liukin has served as an analyst for NBC Sports Group’s gymnastics coverage, including the recently completed World Championships.
- Kosuke Hagino: I’m trying to become like Michael Phelps 0
- Poland wins World Volleyball Championship at home, pandemonium (photos, videos) 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross complete perfect AVP season after wardrobe malfunction 0
- Katie Ledecky wins USA Swimming Athlete of the Year; who are World Swimmers of the Year? 0
- Wallace Spearmon fails drug test, banned 3 months 0
- Ato Boldon’s track and field season awards 1
- Analyzing the U.S. gymnastics women’s World Championships team 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)