Oct 30, 2013, 9:59 AM EST
Olympic champion gymnast Nastia Liukin will report for NBC Olympics’ multi-platform coverage of the Sochi Games in February.
Liukin, a dual U.S.-Russia citizen born in Moscow, will present daily features for “The Olympic Zone,” a 30-minute daily show for NBC affiliates covering all aspects of the Games.
This will be the second Olympics with NBC for Liukin, who turned 24 on Wednesday. The 2008 Olympic all-around champion retired before the 2012 Games and served as a contributor for NBCOlympics.com in London.
Her father, Valeri, won four gymnastics medals for the Soviet Union at the 1988 Seoul Olympics. Her mother, Anna, won a World Championship in rhythmic gymnastics for the Soviet Union in 1987.
“Nastia is a decorated Olympic champion who brings a unique perspective to Russia’s first Winter Olympics, both as an athlete and a member of a family with a tremendous sports legacy dating back to the former Soviet Union,” said Jim Bell, Executive Producer of NBC Olympics.
Last week, Olympic figure skaters Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski and Tanith Belbin joined NBC Olympics’ team.
Liukin has served as an analyst for NBC Sports Group’s gymnastics coverage, including the recently completed World Championships.
- Katie Ledecky faces decisions in 2015, 2016 0
- Michael Phelps back in the pool; Phelps, Ledecky win Golden Goggles 2
- Viktor Tikhonov, Soviet Union Olympic hockey coach, dies at 84 1
- Sun Yang failed drug test, served three-month ban 0
- Rio 2016 Olympic, Paralympic mascots unveiled (video) 0
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard (video); Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)