Lindsey Vonn says she’s almost all the way back from injury

Oct 28, 2013, 8:40 AM EDT

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Lindsey Vonn may have missed the first race of the season, but the Olympic downhill champion said she feels no trepidation about her surgically repaired right knee and can’t even tell which knee is injured anymore.

“I work hard, that’s what I do,” Vonn told Matt Lauer on TODAY on Monday morning. “I fall. I get back up. It’s who I am. Obviously, this is the biggest setback I’ve ever had, but I’m skiing really well. I’ve only been on snow for a few days, but I’m already almost right back where I was. So things are looking up.”

Vonn hasn’t competed since tearing the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments in her right knee and breaking her tibia in a crash at the World Championships super-G in Schladming, Austria, on Feb. 5. She’s expected to return for races in Beaver Creek, Colo., on Thanksgiving weekend.

The 29-year-old said retirement wasn’t an option.

“I don’t want that to be the final moment of my career,” Vonn said. “Obviously, I could have retired, and I have a lot to be proud of. There’s a lot more I want to do. Sochi is a huge goal of mine. I had plenty of motivation. I wasn’t going to just sit there and accept what I had already done.”

Video: Vonn films first crash since return to skiing

One of the people who helped her get through rehabilitation was her boyfriend, Tiger Woods. Vonn pointed out one of Woods’ attributes that has really helped her.

“Patience,” she said. “I’m not a very patient person. … He’s very patient, and he’s very mentally tough. He’s a grinder. He works extremely hard.”

Woods had left ACL surgery five years ago.

“He knew what I was going through,” Vonn said. “He said, ‘Just be patient. Keep working hard, and everything’s going to turn around.’ It really helped me get through it. It’s tough. You’re sitting there, grinding away in the gym, and it’s like is this ever going to end? Am I ever going to get back on the slopes?”

Asked if she would make the podium in Sochi in a little over 100 days, Vonn said, “You better believe it.”

Vonn hoped to race in the season-opening World Cup giant slalom in Soelden, Austria, on Saturday but opted out of it Wednesday. She expects, instead, to make her season debut in Beaver Creek.

“To be honest, Soelden was never really in my goals,” Vonn told USA Today. “But then (September training in) Chile went so well I was really hoping to race. I’m very, very antsy to get going. … My knee felt great, but the fact is I only trained five days (in Soelden) … and it’s tough to go into one of the most difficult giant slalom races of the season having only trained five days. I thought I was going to be able to do it, but in the long run it has no effect on my season and my main goal is the Olympics.”

Sorenstam, King weigh in on Vonn racing men

Video: Ligety wins season opener; skis into camera

Latest Posts
  1. Youth Olympics 8x100m champion relay team crosses continents, events, genders (video)

Aug 26, 2014, 6:01 PM EDT

Youth Olympics 8x100m relay Getty Images

Comoros, British Virgin Islands, Romania join together in track and field finale.

2. Tanith Belbin visits Youth Olympics Sports Lab (video)

Aug 26, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT

Tanith Belbin

Olympic ice dancing silver medalist tries out non-Olympic sports.

3. Rio Olympics have first qualified entries

Aug 26, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT

Germany equestrian Getty Images

German, British, Dutch dressage teams win medals at World Equestrian Games.

4. Youth Olympic ambassador Chad le Clos reflects on beating Michael Phelps (video)

Aug 25, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT

Chad le Clos Getty Images

Le Clos won five medals at the 2010 Youth Olympics before shocking the most decorated Olympian ever in London.

5. Jonathan Horton boosted by 2008 teammate to successful return

Aug 25, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT

Jonathan Horton Getty Images

Even his coach doubted him, but Jonathan Horton made good on a December vow.

6. 8x100m relay with 500 athletes to finish Youth Olympics track competition

Aug 25, 2014, 11:23 AM EDT

Baton Getty Images

Mixed-gender, mixed-team relay will include athletes from all track and field events.

7. Youth Olympians reunited for first time in 12 years

Aug 25, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT

Ava Lorein Verdeflor Getty Images

Filipino gymnast was separated from Singapore shooter at age 3.

8. Sam Mikulak rallies for repeat P&G Championships title (video)

Aug 24, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT

Sam Mikulak Getty Images

“This was his toughest climb,” his coach said.

9. Tori Bowie pulls up at Birmingham Diamond League; recap

Aug 24, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT

Tori Bowie Getty Images

Mo Farah breaks a European record; Allyson Felix fails to make 100m final.

10. Usain Bolt ends his season

Aug 24, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT

Usain Bolt Getty Images

Bolt has his slowest season since 2007.

11. Katie Ledecky smashes another world record at Pan Pacs

Aug 24, 2014, 8:27 AM EDT

Katie Ledecky Getty Images

Ledecky faster in 1500m free at 17 than Ryan Lochte was at 19 in 2004.

12. Simone Biles awes judges, U.S. legend to repeat at P&G Championships

Aug 23, 2014, 11:59 PM EDT

Simone Biles Getty Images

The World all-around champion fell on balance beam and still won easily.

13. Zambian wins men’s 100m at Youth Olympics; women’s favorite DQ’d (video)

Aug 23, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT

Sydney Siame Getty Images

Poland’s Ewa Nikola Swoboda “appeared to tumble forward before the gun went off.”

14. Wushu makes its pitch at Youth Olympics

Aug 23, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT

Wushu

Chinese martial arts-derived sport joins others seeking Olympic inclusion.

15. Birmingham Diamond League preview; loaded women’s 100m, men’s mile

Aug 23, 2014, 2:34 PM EDT

Mo Farah AP

Mo Farah, Allyson Felix, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce in action.

16. Usain Bolt wins 100m in Warsaw after Humvee entrance

Aug 23, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT

Usain Bolt

Bolt bettered his only other 100m this year.