Lindsey Vonn says she’s almost all the way back from injury

Oct 28, 2013, 8:40 AM EDT

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Lindsey Vonn may have missed the first race of the season, but the Olympic downhill champion said she feels no trepidation about her surgically repaired right knee and can’t even tell which knee is injured anymore.

“I work hard, that’s what I do,” Vonn told Matt Lauer on TODAY on Monday morning. “I fall. I get back up. It’s who I am. Obviously, this is the biggest setback I’ve ever had, but I’m skiing really well. I’ve only been on snow for a few days, but I’m already almost right back where I was. So things are looking up.”

Vonn hasn’t competed since tearing the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments in her right knee and breaking her tibia in a crash at the World Championships super-G in Schladming, Austria, on Feb. 5. She’s expected to return for races in Beaver Creek, Colo., on Thanksgiving weekend.

The 29-year-old said retirement wasn’t an option.

“I don’t want that to be the final moment of my career,” Vonn said. “Obviously, I could have retired, and I have a lot to be proud of. There’s a lot more I want to do. Sochi is a huge goal of mine. I had plenty of motivation. I wasn’t going to just sit there and accept what I had already done.”

Video: Vonn films first crash since return to skiing

One of the people who helped her get through rehabilitation was her boyfriend, Tiger Woods. Vonn pointed out one of Woods’ attributes that has really helped her.

“Patience,” she said. “I’m not a very patient person. … He’s very patient, and he’s very mentally tough. He’s a grinder. He works extremely hard.”

Woods had left ACL surgery five years ago.

“He knew what I was going through,” Vonn said. “He said, ‘Just be patient. Keep working hard, and everything’s going to turn around.’ It really helped me get through it. It’s tough. You’re sitting there, grinding away in the gym, and it’s like is this ever going to end? Am I ever going to get back on the slopes?”

Asked if she would make the podium in Sochi in a little over 100 days, Vonn said, “You better believe it.”

Vonn hoped to race in the season-opening World Cup giant slalom in Soelden, Austria, on Saturday but opted out of it Wednesday. She expects, instead, to make her season debut in Beaver Creek.

“To be honest, Soelden was never really in my goals,” Vonn told USA Today. “But then (September training in) Chile went so well I was really hoping to race. I’m very, very antsy to get going. … My knee felt great, but the fact is I only trained five days (in Soelden) … and it’s tough to go into one of the most difficult giant slalom races of the season having only trained five days. I thought I was going to be able to do it, but in the long run it has no effect on my season and my main goal is the Olympics.”

Sorenstam, King weigh in on Vonn racing men

Video: Ligety wins season opener; skis into camera

Latest Posts
  1. Marlies Schild retires; impact on Mikaela Shiffrin

Sep 2, 2014, 7:41 AM EDT

Marlies Schild, Mikaela Shiffrin Getty Images

Schild won silver behind Shiffrin in Sochi and is one of her idols.

2. Carl Lewis becomes full-time University of Houston track coach

Sep 1, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT

Carl Lewis AP

Lewis joins staff with two other Olympic sprint medalists.

3. Berlin, Hamburg submit Olympic bid intentions

Sep 1, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT

Germany flag Getty Images

Germany is the latest rival to a potential U.S. Olympic bid in 2024.

4. African wrestlers out of World Championships due to Ebola travel restrictions

Sep 1, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT

Wrestling Getty Images

Seven from Nigeria, two from Sierra Leone out due to Uzbekistan’s restrictions.

5. Haley Anderson wins Pan Pacs open-water 10K by .01 after jellyfish sting, move to Maui

Sep 1, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT

Haley Anderson Getty Images

Olympic silver medalist swam three days after suffering allergic reaction to jellyfish sting.

6. Gwen Jorgensen wins World Championship in triathlon

Aug 30, 2014, 5:27 PM EDT

Gwen Jorgensen Rich Cruse/USA Triathlon

American overcame a 69-second deficit, passing 19 women on the 10km run to cap dominating season.

7. Henry Cejudo withdraws on eve of UFC fight debut

Aug 29, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT

Henry Cejudo Getty Images

Olympic champion cites “medical reasons” hours before weigh-in.

8. How the FIBA World Cup impacts the Olympics

Aug 29, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT

James Harden Getty Images

Statistically, the U.S. might be better off not winning in Spain in the Olympic scope.

9. Kayla Harrison wins bronze at World Judo Championships

Aug 29, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT

Kayla Harrison Getty Images

Olympic champion missed 2013 Worlds after knee surgery.

10. Gwen Jorgensen’s glory awaits in Edmonton

Aug 29, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Gwen Jorgensen Getty Images

An accountant five years ago, triathlete is dominating after Olympic disappointment.

11. Tyson Gay last place in Zurich; Jenny Simpson leads U.S. winners (video)

Aug 28, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT

Tyson Gay

Allyson Felix, David Rudisha beaten in first of two Diamond League finals meets.

12. Man with cerebral palsy towed through Ironman by twin brother

Aug 28, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT

tvilling

Steen and Peder Mondrup completed the Ironman Copenhagen in 15 hours.

13. Youth Olympics wrap with Closing Ceremony, Lionel Messi cameo (photos)

Aug 28, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT

Closing Ceremony

Olympic Flag handed over to Buenos Aires, host of 2018 Youth Olympics.

14. Rio Olympics volunteer registration opens

Aug 28, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT

Rio 2016 Olympics Getty Images

Officials looking for 70,000 people over the Olympics and Paralympics.

15. Yao Ming reflects on Beijing 2008 at Youth Olympics (video)

Aug 27, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT

Yao Ming, Lewis Johnson

Chinese basketball star also updates on what he’s been doing in retirement.

16. Thomas Bach hopes mixed-gender events in Nanjing impact Olympics (video)

Aug 27, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT

Thomas Bach Getty Images

IOC president sits down with Lewis Johnson at Youth Olympics.

17. U.S. finishes Youth Olympics with 22 medals, 10 golds

Aug 27, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT

Sabrina Massialas Getty Images

How can we apply the results looking ahead to the Rio Olympics?

18. Zurich Diamond League final preview

Aug 27, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT

David Rudisha Getty Images

Diamond Races up for grabs, plus Gay vs. Powell in the 100m.

19. Shakur Stevenson wins Youth Olympic boxing gold; Rio next? (video)

Aug 27, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT

Shakur Stevenson Getty Images

Stevenson has unprecedented junior credentials for a U.S. boxer.

20. Youth Olympics 8x100m champion relay team crosses continents, events, genders (video)

Aug 26, 2014, 6:01 PM EDT

Youth Olympics 8x100m relay Getty Images

Comoros, British Virgin Islands, Romania join together in track and field finale.