Oct 25, 2013, 9:26 AM EDT
Slovenia’s Tina Maze added one more trophy to her extensive collection for the 2012-13 World Cup season on Friday.
Maze, 30, won the Serge Lang Trophy, given by ski journalists to the athlete they vote as Skieur d’Or — or skier of the year.
There was no doubt Maze would take it over all other male and female Alpine skiers last season. She set a record for either gender with 2,414 points, smashing the previous mark of 2,000 and winning 11 races and the season titles in super-G and giant slalom.
She finished in the top three in every discipline, and her margin of victory (1,313 points) was also a record.
Maze begins her follow-up campaign and the Olympic season with a giant slalom, her specialty, in Soelden, Austria, on Saturday. Universal Sports will provide coverage.
Winners of the Serge Lang Trophy since 2000:
2013 Tina Maze, Slovenia
2012 Marcel Hirscher, Austria
2011 Ivica Kostelic, Croatia
2010 Carlo Janka, Switzerland
2009 Lindsey Vonn, USA
2008 Matthias Lanzinger, Austria
2007 Aksel Lund Svindal, Norway
2006 Benjamin Raich, Austria
2005 Bode Miller, USA
2004 Hermann Maier, Austria
2003 Stephan Eberharter, Austria
2002 Stephan Eberharter, Austria
2001 Janica Kostelic, Croatia
2000 Kjetil Andre Aamodt, Norway
- Aries Merritt wins bronze before kidney transplant; incredible Worlds performances 0
- Usain Bolt may retire after Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt crushes Justin Gatlin in World Championships 200m 3
- Allyson Felix wins 400m, breaks U.S. record for Worlds medals; Rio preview? 1
- Usain Bolt and Justin Gatlin’s first race together from 2005 (video) 0
- Los Angeles 2024 Olympic bid logo, renderings released 0
- Usain Bolt, Justin Gatlin set up duel; South African stretchered off after 400m gold 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)