Oct 22, 2013, 11:08 AM EDT
The Olympic flame had a minor eruption during the Sochi torch relay, evidenced by a video published on YouTube and confirmed by the Sochi Olympic Organizing Committee president’s Twitter account.
Footage shows the flame briefly engulfing the length of one of the torches, “spouting flames over a meter long” in Kostroma, a small city near Moscow, on Friday, according to RIA Novosti.
At least one Russian report said the person burned was a 13-year-old girl, but Sochi Olympic chief Dmitry Chernyshenko‘s Twitter account denied that.
- Mixed results for World champions in Zurich 0
- Los Angeles’ ties to the Olympics 1
- Five events to watch at Zurich Diamond League 0
- Los Angeles 2024 Olympic bid is official 1
- Top ten storylines from World Track and Field Championships 0
- USOC, Los Angeles agree to 2024 Olympic bid, reports say 1
- U.S. finishes World Championships with fewest medals since 2003 3
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (62)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)