Oct 22, 2013, 11:08 AM EDT
The Olympic flame had a minor eruption during the Sochi torch relay, evidenced by a video published on YouTube and confirmed by the Sochi Olympic Organizing Committee president’s Twitter account.
Footage shows the flame briefly engulfing the length of one of the torches, “spouting flames over a meter long” in Kostroma, a small city near Moscow, on Friday, according to RIA Novosti.
At least one Russian report said the person burned was a 13-year-old girl, but Sochi Olympic chief Dmitry Chernyshenko‘s Twitter account denied that.
- Justin Gatlin, Allyson Felix sizzle at Prefontaine Classic 0
- Dara Torres picks greatest female swimmer(s) of all time, recalls teenage Michael Phelps, more in Q&A 1
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross withdraw from Moscow Grand Slam 0
- Prefontaine Classic preview, schedule, broadcast info 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings injures shoulder, forfeits match 0
- Katie Uhlaender, skeleton World champion, becomes track cyclist 0
- Missy Franklin returns to Colorado, coach Todd Schmitz 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)