Oct 22, 2013, 11:08 AM EST
The Olympic flame had a minor eruption during the Sochi torch relay, evidenced by a video published on YouTube and confirmed by the Sochi Olympic Organizing Committee president’s Twitter account.
Footage shows the flame briefly engulfing the length of one of the torches, “spouting flames over a meter long” in Kostroma, a small city near Moscow, on Friday, according to RIA Novosti.
At least one Russian report said the person burned was a 13-year-old girl, but Sochi Olympic chief Dmitry Chernyshenko‘s Twitter account denied that.
- Katie Ledecky faces decisions in 2015, 2016 0
- Michael Phelps back in the pool; Phelps, Ledecky win Golden Goggles 2
- Viktor Tikhonov, Soviet Union Olympic hockey coach, dies at 84 1
- Sun Yang failed drug test, served three-month ban 0
- Rio 2016 Olympic, Paralympic mascots unveiled (video) 0
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard (video); Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)