Oct 22, 2013, 11:08 AM EST
The Olympic flame had a minor eruption during the Sochi torch relay, evidenced by a video published on YouTube and confirmed by the Sochi Olympic Organizing Committee president’s Twitter account.
Footage shows the flame briefly engulfing the length of one of the torches, “spouting flames over a meter long” in Kostroma, a small city near Moscow, on Friday, according to RIA Novosti.
At least one Russian report said the person burned was a 13-year-old girl, but Sochi Olympic chief Dmitry Chernyshenko‘s Twitter account denied that.
- Olympic Year in Review: Winter Sports 0
- Lindsey Vonn OK after fall in Val d’Isere super-G (video) 0
- Lindsey Vonn wins cow in Val d’Isere, one victory from record 0
- Michael Phelps gets probation after guilty plea in DUI case 6
- Stephen Colbert and the Olympics 0
- U.S. will bid for 2024 Olympics, no city chosen yet 6
- Adrian Peterson won’t try for Olympics, but other RBs might 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)