Oct 22, 2013, 11:08 AM EST
The Olympic flame had a minor eruption during the Sochi torch relay, evidenced by a video published on YouTube and confirmed by the Sochi Olympic Organizing Committee president’s Twitter account.
Footage shows the flame briefly engulfing the length of one of the torches, “spouting flames over a meter long” in Kostroma, a small city near Moscow, on Friday, according to RIA Novosti.
At least one Russian report said the person burned was a 13-year-old girl, but Sochi Olympic chief Dmitry Chernyshenko‘s Twitter account denied that.
- Alan Webb set for first Olympic-sized triathlon test Saturday 0
- Missy Franklin’s dream to become most decorated female swimmer ever 1
- U.S. aerialists, elementary school classmates, sweep World Cup titles 0
- Michael Phelps may be reinstated for World Championships, report says 0
- David Boudia scraps springboard plan; Nick McCrory retires 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross confident after defeat in Brazil showdown 1
- Lindsey Vonn loses super-G standings lead, closes in on another record (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)