Oct 18, 2013, 11:17 AM EST
An unnamed person spent $232,000 on a gold coin with a monetary value of $785 on Friday.
But this isn’t any gold coin. It’s a whopping 6.6-pound coin with Sochi Olympic designs on it. It is the heaviest and most expensive coin out of a commemorative series of Sochi Olympic coins, according to RIA Novosti.
Earlier this week, the Russian Central Bank announced it will issue a commemorative coin for the Sochi Olympic torch relay on Oct. 30 in a currently unused denomination of 25 rubles (or $0.78), according to R-Sport.
- Elana Meyers Taylor wins historic bobsled World Championship 0
- World’s most athletic couple takes the next leap 0
- Is Simone Biles unbeatable? 0
- Rio Olympics could have multiple cauldrons 0
- Mike Powell eyes masters world record, possible Olympic trials run at age 51 0
- Behind the scenes of Miracle on Ice reunion 0
- Nastia Liukin adds to history of Olympians on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)