Oct 18, 2013, 11:17 AM EST
An unnamed person spent $232,000 on a gold coin with a monetary value of $785 on Friday.
But this isn’t any gold coin. It’s a whopping 6.6-pound coin with Sochi Olympic designs on it. It is the heaviest and most expensive coin out of a commemorative series of Sochi Olympic coins, according to RIA Novosti.
Earlier this week, the Russian Central Bank announced it will issue a commemorative coin for the Sochi Olympic torch relay on Oct. 30 in a currently unused denomination of 25 rubles (or $0.78), according to R-Sport.
- President Obama yet to deliver after losing Olympic beer bet 0
- Shannon Szabados joins men’s pro hockey team 0
- Oscar Pistorius said ‘everything is fine’ to security calling about gunshot reports (video) 0
- Ukraine may leave Sochi Paralympics if situation escalates 0
- Five Paralympic storylines to watch in Sochi 2
- Mikaela Shiffrin takes 15th in first post-Olympic race 1
- Oscar Pistorius tried to revive girlfriend after shooting, witness recounts (video) 2