Oct 17, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
Going to the 2016 Olympics? Watch your step.
About 5,000 to 6,000 caimans, alligator-like creatures with broad snouts, live in lagoons in western Rio de Janeiro, the main hub for the Games, according to The Associated Press.
Caimans have taken up residence in lakes at the 2016 Olympic golf course but are smaller and not as aggressive as alligators or crocodiles, according to the AP, which added that Olympic organizers are “beginning to examine what to do about the reptiles on the still-unfinished golf course.”
Earlier this year, there were reports that tons of dead fish had to be cleared from the 2016 Olympic rowing venue.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:08 PM EDT
After finally becoming World Cup champion, Wambach is unsure about her Olympic future.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:18 PM EDT
An injury to the world’s top-ranked golfer could threaten his qualification status for the 2016 Rio Olympics.
Jul 5, 2015, 9:16 PM EDT
Looking for their sixth Grand Prix title, the U.S. Women’s National Volleyball Team ended the weekend with three straight wins.
Lucena, Brunner finish fourth while Brazilians claim victory at Beach Volleyball World Championships
Jul 5, 2015, 6:35 PM EDT
Brazilian teams finished on top of the podium in both the men’s and women’s finals.
Jul 4, 2015, 6:57 PM EDT
The two claimed victory in the men’s and women’s 100 meters, while American Evan Jager came heartbreakingly close to making history in the steeplechase.
Jul 4, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Trinidad and Tobago have been upgraded to silver and France to bronze.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:11 AM EDT
The Japanese swimmer confirmed that his right elbow is fractured.
Jul 3, 2015, 5:13 PM EDT
Three of the four remaining American teams were knocked out in the quarterfinal rounds. Lucena and Brunner will face the Brazilians in semifinals on Saturday.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT
In an interview before the July 4th stop of the Road to Rio tour before Philadelphia, the Olympic wrestler explained how his age has become an advantage.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:26 PM EDT
The torch will begin in the capital city of Brasilia, passing through a planned 500 cities before reaching Maracana Stadium in Rio for the Opening Ceremony.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT
Won’t face Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, who will forgo 200 meters to focus on 100.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT
Four other U.S. teams advanced to quarterfinals.
Jul 2, 2015, 11:29 AM EDT
A suspected elbow fracture may force Hagino to pull out.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:07 AM EDT
Walsh Jennings had never been part of such a rout with Misty May-Treanor.
Jun 30, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT
“We’re not discussing right now the possibility of not submitting a bid.”
Jun 30, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT
Bolt flew to Munich to treat an injury.
Jun 30, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
Obama has never attended an Olympics as president, and this is his last chance.
Jun 30, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT
Shnapir won Olympic bronze in Sochi.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:37 AM EDT
Franklin beat out another Rio 2016 Olympic hopeful for the honor.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:19 AM EDT
Ronaldo debuted at the Olympics two years before his first World Cup.
- Will Abby Wambach play in Rio? 0
- Rory McIlroy ruptures ankle ligment 2
- U.S. Women undefeated after opening of indoor volleyball Grand Prix tournament 0
- Lucena, Brunner finish fourth while Brazilians claim victory at Beach Volleyball World Championships 0
- Jamaican sprinters Asafa Powell and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce dominate at Paris Diamond League 0
- Jordan Burroughs on Rio: ‘My chances of winning’ are better than in London 1
- Rio 2016 Olympic torch unveiled 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)