Patrick Chan’s phone call with Sidney Crosby at Vancouver Olympics

Oct 16, 2013, 8:45 AM EDT

Patrick Chan Getty Images

Patrick Chan‘s Olympic debut as a teenager in 2010 included typical nerves and an out-of-the ordinary conversation with the Canadian under the most pressure at the Vancouver Games.

Chan, then 19, was en route to the rink with trainer Andy O’Brien, who also works with Sidney Crosby.

Let the Canadian Press pick it up from there:

“I told Andy I was nervous — who wouldn’t be? — I was really nervous about the event. Andy was like, ‘Oh, I’ll call Sid,’” said Chan, who opens his season next week at Skate Canada International.

“We talked about expectations and at the end of the day, he told me, ‘Yeah, the Canadian hockey team has the most pressure out of all the events.’ The way he put it in perspective was that we train every day and we train every day to kind of build an automatic pilot, and in order to initiate that automatic pilot when you’re playing, you have to put it in perspective.

“For example, my mentality is that this isn’t the end of the world, people will support me because they want me to win, and they want the best for me and they want a medal for Canada, and I accept that. But then I have to be selfish in a way and realize I’m doing it for myself and that was the mistake I made in Vancouver. I wanted to win the medal for Canada, and I looked at it as a big picture instead of narrowing it down to me wanting to be there, and me wanting to compete and excited to compete, and eager to win a medal.”

Chan entered the 2010 Olympics as the reigning world silver medalist with overwhelming pressure — to become Canada’s first Olympic men’s figure skating champion after years of just misses and the first teenager to win the event in 62 years.

His medal hopes were dashed via a seventh-place finish in the short program. He rebounded with the fourth-best free skate, a personal-best score, to finish fifth overall.

Ten days later, Crosby scored the game-winning goal in overtime as Canada beat the U.S. for hockey gold on the final day of the Olympics.

The phone call is not the first time Chan and Crosby have been linked.

A chiropractor also compared the two.

“I found Sidney Crosby’s Asian brother,” Mark Lindsay reportedly said, according to the Toronto Star, after first working on Chan.

“One of the things that’s really unique is they’ve got really good tissue,” O’Brien told the newspaper. “They have the ability to be very muscular but very flexible.”

Despite the pressure, Chan was not the favorite going into the Vancouver Olympics. 2009 world champion Evan Lysacek and 2006 Olympic champion Evgeni Plushenko battled for gold, as expected.

But this time, Chan enters as the three-time reigning world champion (though his most recent title was heavily disputed).

“Vancouver was a pressure because it was a thought of winning a gold medal at home.” Chan told reporters in a conference call previewing Skate Canada next week. “I put that pressure on myself, like, ‘Oh my god, the dream of all dreams would be to win an Olympic gold medal in your home country and hearing your anthem in Canada.’

“Sochi is different. … Coming in as three-time world champion, you put expectations on yourself, there’s a lot of talk. ‘Is this the year that he’s not going to put it together, and he’s going to be dethroned?’ I think I have many more tools going into Sochi to overcome those pressures.”

Evan Lysacek out of Skate America

Latest Posts
  1. Tessa Virtue, Scott Moir to sit out season

Sep 22, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT

Tessa Virtue, Scott Moir Getty Images

Canadians not ruling out return to ice dancing.

2. Noora Raty plays men’s hockey in Finland; Shannon Szabados set to return to Columbus

Sep 22, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT

Noora Raty Getty Images

Raty nearly did something two Canadian Olympic women’s goalies couldn’t do against the men.

3. Skylar Diggins, 2 others cut after Team USA’s first loss since 2011

Sep 22, 2014, 1:41 PM EDT

Skylar Diggins Getty Images

U.S. women must cut one more player before FIBA World Championships.

4. Carolina Kostner called in for doping hearing again Friday

Sep 22, 2014, 12:23 PM EDT

Carolina Kostner Getty Images

Figure skater to be questioned over doping by her ex-boyfriend, Olympic champ race walker.

5. Kosuke Hagino: I’m trying to become like Michael Phelps

Sep 22, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT

Michael Phelps, Kosuke Hagino Getty Images

World’s greatest swimmer on display at Asian Games.

6. Scary crash at World Road Cycling Championships (video)

Sep 22, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT

Anna Van der Breggen Getty Images

Lead cyclist hits fence, trailing cyclist breaks pelvis.

7. Poland wins World Volleyball Championship at home, pandemonium (photos, videos)

Sep 22, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT

World Volleyball Championship Poland Getty Images

Upset of dynastic Brazil sets off bedlam inside arena, outside streets for host nation.

8. Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross complete perfect AVP season after wardrobe malfunction

Sep 22, 2014, 7:35 AM EDT

April Ross, Kerri Walsh Jennings Getty Images

Walsh Jennings, Ross played with interesting keys looped through chains Sunday.

9. Oksana Chusovitina, 39, eyes all-around at World Gymnastics Championships

Sep 22, 2014, 7:08 AM EDT

Oksana Chusovitina Getty Images

Uzbekistan gymnast has competed at World Championships since 1991.

10. Australia swim star Grant Hackett returns to training, dismisses Rio

Sep 21, 2014, 8:31 AM EDT

Grant Hackett Getty Images

“I would be 36 for Rio. That’s probably just getting on a bit too much.”

11. Wallace Spearmon fails drug test, banned 3 months

Sep 19, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT

Wallace Spearmon Getty Images

Spearmon lost a 2008 Olympic medal due to disqualification and finished fourth in the 2012 Olympic 200m.

12. Viktoria Komova out of World Gymnastics Championships, report says

Sep 19, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT

Viktoria Komova Getty Images

Komova won Olympic all-around silver behind Gabby Douglas.

13. South Korea hockey teams given spots in 2018 Olympics

Sep 19, 2014, 8:49 AM EDT

South Korea hockey Getty Images

There was concern Olympic host nation wouldn’t be able to qualify in hockey.

14. Carolina Kostner skips hearing in ex-boyfriend’s doping case

Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 AM EDT

Carolina Kostner Getty Images

Olympic medalist skater could be called in for later hearing.

15. Jens Voigt bikes 31.7 miles in 1 hour, breaks record

Sep 18, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT

Jens Voigt Getty Images

Three-time Olympian rides into retirement by entering history books.

16. Rio Olympic Village more than 50 percent complete

Sep 18, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT

Rio Olympic Village

Work expected to finish in the first half of 2016.

17. Ato Boldon’s track and field season awards

Sep 18, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT

Justin Gatlin Getty Images

NBC Olympics analyst hands out athlete of the year honors and more.

18. Yelena Isinbayeva set to return to pole vault training, report says

Sep 18, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Yelena Isinbayeva Getty Images

Russian Olympic champion gave birth to daughter in June.

Yogging a hit at Youth Olympic Games