Oct 15, 2013, 2:52 PM EST
Remember the private halfpipe Red Bull built for Shaun White in Colorado before the Vancouver Olympics?
Well, White has a new personal playground. This time, it’s in Australia, courtesy of another one of his sponsors, GoPro, and Snow Park Technologies.
“GoPro worked with Snow Park Technologies to build a custom halfpipe and slopestyle features for Shaun’s Olympic training,” a GoPro media relations manager said in an email. “GoPro and SPT scouted many locations across the globe, the spot in Australia was chosen based upon conditions and timing.”
White was at the Perisher site training Tuesday, GoPro said.
Talk circulated the last couple weeks with photos surfacing with a watermark of the website, snowflakegallery.com.au.
On Monday, news.com.au posted an article linking the training ground to “exclusive use” by the two-time Olympic halfpipe champion.
Here’s what we know. Someone has built a really, really massive halfpipe in a steep part of Perisher which can’t be seen from the base of the resort.
It has taken dozens of machines to push around the remnants of the winter snowpack to build this thing in the October heat. A state-of-the-art pipe-cutter, rumoured to be worth a quarter of a million dollars, is also hard at work. It’s all terribly mysterious.
White’s band, Bad Things, has its debut album set to come out Oct. 29. He said he’s going back on tour with the band before the Olympics, but the only upcoming date on its website is Nov. 2 at the Voodoo Festival in New Orleans.
White is slated for his busiest Olympics yet with the addition of slopestyle snowboarding to the program. He’s not the favorite to win gold in that event, so it’s good that this site has a slopestyle layout, too.
Australia is home to the reigning Olympic women’s halfpipe champion, Torah Bright, and the 2011 world champion in men’s halfpipe, Nathan Johnstone.
“I’d like to ask Shaun if we can come ride it when he’s finished,” Johnstone told news.com.au with a laugh.
- Tiger Woods unsure if he will go to Sochi Olympics 0
- Japan’s Hanyu breaks high-score record, defending champ Asada leads at Grand Prix Final 0
- Lindsey Vonn’s knee feels ‘stable’ after downhill training run 0
- U.S. Snowboarding unveils ‘heirloom hippie’ Sochi Olympic uniforms (photos) 4
- Grand Prix Final offers glimpse at Olympic figure skating picture 0
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (54)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (45)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (29)
- Vladimir Putin tells critics of Russia at World University Games to ‘try some Viagra’ (18)
- IOC convinced there will be no discrimination at Sochi Olympics (16)