Oct 14, 2013, 9:48 AM EDT
One of France’s two gold medalists from the 2010 Olympics will carry its flag into the 2014 Olympic opening ceremony.
Montana-born Nordic combined skier Jason Lamy Chappuis, 27, was chosen the country’s flag bearer, the French Olympic Committee annoucned Monday.
Lamy Chappuis memorably beat American Johnny Spillane for gold by .4 of a second in the closest finish in Olympic Nordic combined history in the normal hill event in 2010.
It was his only medal of those Olympics after recording fourth- and fifth-place finishes in 2006, but he could be due for more success in Sochi.
Lamy Chappuis won four medals at the World Championships in March, including a record three golds.
The opening ceremony of the Sochi Olympics is Feb. 7, and the Nordic combined competition starts Feb. 12.
Aug 20, 2014, 12:02 AM EDT
Video of Franklin being gingerly helped away from the pool.
Aug 19, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT
Phelps also reflects on his first Olympics, also in Australia.
Aug 19, 2014, 11:36 AM EDT
More medals could be in Indy native’s future in Nanjing.
Aug 19, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Former Giant must shoot for a specific distance in the triple jump.
Aug 19, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
Summer and Winter Olympian said she has taken no breaks more than two days in the last two years.
Aug 19, 2014, 9:39 AM EDT
Canadian makes Olympic history with first career hole-in-one.
Aug 19, 2014, 9:04 AM EDT
Athletes gaining social media friends via interesting device in Nanjing.
Aug 18, 2014, 10:21 PM EDT
Watch what happens when the world’s best teenage athletes interview themselves.
Aug 18, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT
The Jamaican sprinter finishes in 10.06 on Copcabana beach, nearly half a second off his world-record pace.
Aug 17, 2014, 10:21 PM EDT
Team USA won its first three medals at the Youth Olympics in Nanjing Sunday.
Aug 16, 2014, 6:11 PM EDT
London Olympic champion begins quest for Nanjing gold Sunday.
Aug 16, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
IOC president calls on youth athletes to “set a record for selfies.”
Aug 15, 2014, 12:53 PM EDT
Stars missing from Brazil, China, Japan and South Africa.
Aug 15, 2014, 11:46 AM EDT
Other athletes from those nations subject to regular temperature and physical assessment.
Aug 15, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Diniz walked at sub-3-hour marathon pace.
Aug 15, 2014, 9:33 AM EDT
Opening Ceremony is Saturday.
Aug 14, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
Bolt is next scheduled to race in Rio de Janeiro on Sunday.
Aug 14, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad cleared the final steeplechase barrier, then went topless.
Aug 14, 2014, 3:27 PM EDT
Six-time Olympic champion swimmer severed spine in ATV accident June 7.
Aug 14, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
Former distance queen has words of wisdom, caution for 17-year-old star.
- Missy Franklin (back) in doubt for Pan Pacific Championships 0
- Golf debuts at Youth Olympics with hole-in-one (video) 0
- Youth Olympics begin with festive Opening Ceremony in Nanjing (photos) 0
- Some athletes from Ebola-hit nations barred from competing at Youth Olympics 0
- Runner DQ’d at European Championships for taking shirt off before win 12
- Amy Van Dyken-Rouen ‘1,000 times better’ leaving hospital (video) 1
- Janet Evans sees parallels with Katie Ledecky 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)