Oct 14, 2013, 12:24 PM EST
Barcelona will not become the first city to host a Summer and Winter Olympics in 2022, according to Spanish outlet SPORT.
The newspaper quoted Barcelona mayor Xavier Trias saying a decision had not been made yet on Friday, but that sources told the newspaper an official announcement ending the possible bid city campaign is expected Friday.
SPORT cited Spain’s economic problems and the setback of losing the vote for the 2020 Olympics to Tokyo on Sept. 7.
In August, Trias said Barcelona 2022 would move forward if Madrid did not win the 2020 Olympic vote. Barcelona hosted the celebrated 1992 Summer Games.
Munich, the 1972 Summer Olympics host, is continuing with bid plans for 2022, hoping to become the first Summer and Winter Olympic host city.
The only official bid for 2022 so far is from Almaty, Kazakhstan, but other European cities such as Oslo have express interest. The U.S. is not planning on bidding for the 2022 Olympics.
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard 0
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 1
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms 0
- Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back 1
- Doha gets 2019 World Track and Field Championships over Eugene, Barcelona 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)