Oct 11, 2013, 3:57 PM EDT
Maybe Robert Griffin III hasn’t quite closed the door on his track and field career.
The Washington Redskins quarterback still harbors Olympic dreams. He was once a strong 400m hurdler, posting a personal best of 49.22 seconds, the 29th-fastest man in the world in 2008.
“My dream is to be in the Olympics and represent the United States of America,” Griffin said of his athletic upbringing in a YouTube video published Friday. “So, I was preparing for my dream.
“He’d have me watch (four-time Olympic champion) Michael Johnson run,” Griffin said of his youth track coach. “He’d have me watch (1996 Olympic 110m hurdles champion) Allen Johnson hurdle. And then I would go out and I’d run like Michael Johnson and I would run like Allen Johnson.”
Griffin finished 11th in the 400m hurdles at the 2008 U.S. Olympic trials, taking fifth place in his semifinal heat where the top four made the eight-man final. The top three from the final made the Olympic team.
Griffin, 23, doesn’t have to rush it based on recent Olympic results. Angelo Taylor made the 2012 U.S. Olympic team in the 400m hurdles at age 33. The 2012 Olympic champion in the event, Felix Sanchez of the Dominican Republic, is 36.
Griffin is keeping his options open.
“I would definitely want to still fulfill my dream of still going to the Olympics,” Griffin said. “‘So, some way, somehow. Maybe it’s track. Maybe it’s badminton. Maybe it’s ping pong. I’ll find a way to get to the Olympics.”
Lolo Jones is aware of Griffin’s hurdles history, too.
- Aries Merritt wins bronze before kidney transplant; incredible Worlds performances 0
- Usain Bolt may retire after Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt crushes Justin Gatlin in World Championships 200m 3
- Allyson Felix wins 400m, breaks U.S. record for Worlds medals; Rio preview? 1
- Usain Bolt and Justin Gatlin’s first race together from 2005 (video) 0
- Los Angeles 2024 Olympic bid logo, renderings released 0
- Usain Bolt, Justin Gatlin set up duel; South African stretchered off after 400m gold 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)