Oct 11, 2013, 10:29 AM EDT
The site where 45,000 runners are scheduled to congregate to start the New York City Marathon is closed due to the federal government shutdown.
Organizers for the Nov. 3 race are aware of this and are developing a contingency plan should Fort Wadsworth on Staten Island remain unavailable in three weeks’ time, according to reports. The plan would involve an alternate staging site but not a different starting line.
New York Road Runners CEO Mary Wittenberg said a plan for an alternate Staten Island staging site was 70 percent complete Thursday, according to the Wall Street Journal.
A decision on a separate staging plan is expected to be made next week, according to the report.
The 2012 New York City Marathon was canceled due to Superstorm Sandy. This year’s event will also have extra security after the Boston Marathon bombings on April 15.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg and a New York Road Runners spokesperson have expressed confidence the New York City Marathon will proceed.
The Wall Street Journal also reported that as many as 3,000 charity spots remain open for entrants. A minimum of $2,500 must be raised for a charity spot.
May 3, 2015, 10:32 PM EDT
Bolt was seen at the stadium but sat out as an injury precaution.
May 3, 2015, 6:19 PM EDT
It’s the first World title for the Americans on home ice.
May 3, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
They had been together for nearly three years.
May 3, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Both teams crushed their first four opponents to reach this final rematch.
May 2, 2015, 10:45 PM EDT
Also, Allyson Felix was involved in a collision.
May 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It’s a rematch of the 2013 World Championship final.
May 1, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
The U.S. has dominated opponents so far, but the medal round figures to provide tougher tests.
May 1, 2015, 4:41 PM EDT
Rhode could become the first Olympian to win medals on five continents.
May 1, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
Bolt and Gatlin could go head to head at the IAAF World Relays this weekend.
Apr 30, 2015, 5:22 PM EDT
She finished radiation on March 31 and is 99 percent confident she’s cancer-free.
Apr 30, 2015, 3:43 PM EDT
“I had prepared my entire life for this one moment and I knew there would not be another opportunity.”
Apr 29, 2015, 3:59 PM EDT
The U.S. is undefeated in three games.
Apr 29, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
The U.S. looks to clinch a berth in the semifinals.
Apr 29, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
Chess officials believe the sport may have a better shot to join the Winter Olympics than the Summer Olympics.
Apr 29, 2015, 8:14 AM EDT
Cameras will start following Bolt in May.
Apr 28, 2015, 1:41 PM EDT
“My mission in life has never seemed clearer.”
Apr 28, 2015, 10:02 AM EDT
The IOC will also provide assistance to the Himalayan nation.
Apr 28, 2015, 9:42 AM EDT
The U.S. has one more preliminary game left before the medal round.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
The U.S. can move closer to clinching a semifinal berth.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
The five-time Olympic medalist also discussed getting to know Mark Spitz in a Q&A.
- U.S. blanks Canada for gold at IPC World Sled Hockey Championship 0
- Lindsey Vonn, Tiger Woods announce breakup 7
- U.S. holds off Usain Bolt at World Relays (video) 1
- Kim Rhode still No. 1 after difficult pregnancy, gun change on road to history in Rio 0
- Jillion Potter done with cancer treatment, eyes U.S. rugby return, Olympics 0
- Jeremy Bloom recalls 2006 Olympics in ‘Fueled by Failure’ 0
- Missy Franklin on her dream relay, unusual autographs, ‘the worm’ 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)