Oct 10, 2013, 11:59 AM EDT
The Sochi Olympic torch relay will include a dolphin three days before the opening ceremony, according to R-Sport.
Either Mona, Lada or Basya will be the lucky maritime mammal chosen from Sochi’s Sea Star dolphinarium.
The dolphin will not actually touch the torch or be that close to the flame, according to the report.
“An animal trainer is to hold a dolphin’s fin in one hand and the torch in the other before the pair swims across a small pool,” R-Sport reported.
Add this to the other unprecedented feats in the Sochi Olympic torch relay, which began Monday in Moscow.
- The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record 0
- Apolo Ohno on Ironman: A milestone among my 8 Olympic medals 1
- Beijing Marathon run through smog (video, photos) 0
- Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season 0
- Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists 0
- Noelle Pikus-Pace: I already miss skeleton, but happily retired 0
- Simone Biles still buzzing after World Championships whirlwind 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)