Oct 10, 2013, 11:59 AM EST
The Sochi Olympic torch relay will include a dolphin three days before the opening ceremony, according to R-Sport.
Either Mona, Lada or Basya will be the lucky maritime mammal chosen from Sochi’s Sea Star dolphinarium.
The dolphin will not actually touch the torch or be that close to the flame, according to the report.
“An animal trainer is to hold a dolphin’s fin in one hand and the torch in the other before the pair swims across a small pool,” R-Sport reported.
Add this to the other unprecedented feats in the Sochi Olympic torch relay, which began Monday in Moscow.
- Ted Ligety, Bode Miller go 1-2 in Beaver Creek giant slalom (video) 1
- Lindsey Vonn says she’s ready for Sochi after best comeback result (video) 1
- Jesse Owens’ gold medal goes for $1.4 million in auction 1
- Lindsey Vonn stronger in second comeback race (video) 3
- U.S. sweeps women’s bobsled in Park City (video) 3
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (54)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (45)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (29)
- Vladimir Putin tells critics of Russia at World University Games to ‘try some Viagra’ (18)
- IOC convinced there will be no discrimination at Sochi Olympics (16)