Oct 10, 2013, 11:59 AM EDT
The Sochi Olympic torch relay will include a dolphin three days before the opening ceremony, according to R-Sport.
Either Mona, Lada or Basya will be the lucky maritime mammal chosen from Sochi’s Sea Star dolphinarium.
The dolphin will not actually touch the torch or be that close to the flame, according to the report.
“An animal trainer is to hold a dolphin’s fin in one hand and the torch in the other before the pair swims across a small pool,” R-Sport reported.
Add this to the other unprecedented feats in the Sochi Olympic torch relay, which began Monday in Moscow.
- Jordan Burroughs on Rio: ‘My chances of winning’ are better than in London 1
- Rio 2016 Olympic torch unveiled 0
- Allyson Felix considering 200-400m double at Worlds 0
- USOC eyes majority support for Boston 2024 ‘relatively soon’ 0
- Usain Bolt pulls out of July track meets 1
- Michael Phelps’ career in photos on his 30th birthday 0
- Michael Phelps’ potential record chases at Rio Olympics 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)