Oct 10, 2013, 11:59 AM EDT
The Sochi Olympic torch relay will include a dolphin three days before the opening ceremony, according to R-Sport.
Either Mona, Lada or Basya will be the lucky maritime mammal chosen from Sochi’s Sea Star dolphinarium.
The dolphin will not actually touch the torch or be that close to the flame, according to the report.
“An animal trainer is to hold a dolphin’s fin in one hand and the torch in the other before the pair swims across a small pool,” R-Sport reported.
Add this to the other unprecedented feats in the Sochi Olympic torch relay, which began Monday in Moscow.
- Oslo withdraws 2022 Olympic bid after ‘no’ vote 0
- Justin Gatlin eyes more 200s after undefeated season 0
- Michael Phelps arrested on DUI charges 3
- Lauryn Williams ‘playing with the idea’ of bobsled this season 1
- Lindsey Vonn set for first skiing in 10 months, named 2016 Youth Olympics ambassador 0
- Talk of a sub-two-hour marathon 2
- Dennis Kimetto breaks world record at Berlin Marathon (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)