Oct 8, 2013, 10:46 AM EDT
The first Olympic women’s ski jumping competition could very well inspire many kids to take up the sport.
Why wait until February? World champion Sarah Hendrickson, 19, of Park City, Utah, put together a video primer on the sport for the International Olympic Committee’s YouTube channel.
Hendrickson is recovering from major knee surgery and hopes to return to ski jumping in January.
She said the sport is broken down into four parts — the in-run, the takeoff, the flight position and the landing. Five judges look at flight position, landing and the out-run after the landing. Each judge has a maximum of 20 “style” points, and the highest and lowest scores are dropped.
A total score is the addition of flight distance (in meters) and style points.
“It’s a very complicated sport in a span of about 10 seconds,” she said. “Once you’re in the air, you’re done with the hard part. You just have fun flying. It’s my favorite part.
“The feeling of flying is an amazing feeling. Not many people can say that they fly 130 meters in the air.”
Mar 31, 2015, 2:49 PM EDT
The full competition schedule was released Tuesday.
Mar 31, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
“Douglas Family Gold” is the working title.
Mar 31, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
England FA couldn’t get backing from the three other federations.
Mar 30, 2015, 3:16 PM EDT
Gabby Douglas and Aly Raisman are attempting what six other Olympic medalists before them failed.
Mar 30, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Gatlin may have gotten an up-close look at his biggest U.S. threat on Saturday.
Mar 30, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
Argentina is in jeopardy of not qualifying for the Rio Olympics.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:24 PM EDT
It marked Jorgensen’s largest margin of victory in her World Triathlon Series career.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:42 PM EDT
But they haven’t decided on the 2018 Olympics.
Mar 28, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
Terry Gannon, Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir and Tracy Wilson are on the call.
Mar 28, 2015, 2:24 PM EDT
How they fared against World champion Simone Biles.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
“I don’t know if it’s going to ever happen again.”
Mar 28, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT
Next year, Tuktamysheva can go for a feat not seen since 2001.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
The U.S. has a new former NHL player as head coach, is missing a major Sochi star and hopes to end a losing streak to Canada.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
The Olympic champions are slated to compete for the first time since London 2012 this weekend.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT
The U.S. men are unlikely to secure three spots for the 2016 World Championships.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:53 AM EDT
A French couple became the youngest World champions in 40 years.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:14 AM EDT
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva landed a triple Axel in one of the greatest short programs of all time.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
The last time Canada won a World title in pairs was before the 2002 judging scandal.
Mar 25, 2015, 9:44 AM EDT
A slight improvement could mark the best U.S. pairs finishes since 2002.
Mar 25, 2015, 9:13 AM EDT
Bolt’s last appearance in New York produced his first world record.
- Rio 2016 Olympics day-by-day events to watch 0
- A recent history of U.S. Olympic gymnastics comebacks 0
- Meryl Davis, Charlie White won’t compete next season 1
- Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman competitive with U.S. teammates in comeback 0
- Javier Fernandez wins upset World Championship; top American fourth 0
- Elizaveta Tuktamysheva wins World Championship; U.S. just misses medals 0
- How to watch Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman’s comeback gymnastics meet 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)