Oct 8, 2013, 10:46 AM EDT
The first Olympic women’s ski jumping competition could very well inspire many kids to take up the sport.
Why wait until February? World champion Sarah Hendrickson, 19, of Park City, Utah, put together a video primer on the sport for the International Olympic Committee’s YouTube channel.
Hendrickson is recovering from major knee surgery and hopes to return to ski jumping in January.
She said the sport is broken down into four parts — the in-run, the takeoff, the flight position and the landing. Five judges look at flight position, landing and the out-run after the landing. Each judge has a maximum of 20 “style” points, and the highest and lowest scores are dropped.
A total score is the addition of flight distance (in meters) and style points.
“It’s a very complicated sport in a span of about 10 seconds,” she said. “Once you’re in the air, you’re done with the hard part. You just have fun flying. It’s my favorite part.
“The feeling of flying is an amazing feeling. Not many people can say that they fly 130 meters in the air.”
Sep 29, 2014, 1:16 PM EDT
Dennis Kimetto’s record-smashing win in Berlin brings the barrier into closer view.
Sep 29, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT
They call her the “Iron Lady” of swimming.
Sep 29, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
ISU asks for synchronized skating and a new speed skating event for 2018.
Sep 29, 2014, 10:27 AM EDT
Plushenko received criticism for withdrawing at Sochi Olympics.
Sep 28, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
Serbia led 57-56 in the third quarter.
Sep 28, 2014, 5:40 AM EDT
Third Kenyan in four years to break the record in Berlin.
Sep 28, 2014, 4:31 AM EDT
All four rounds in the 100s.
Sep 28, 2014, 4:30 AM EDT
World champion finishes behind Japanese rival.
Sep 27, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Griner played her first game in a Team USA uniform in three years.
Sep 27, 2014, 8:33 AM EDT
U.S. champion shaky in season debut.
Sep 26, 2014, 4:39 PM EDT
First senior international victory for the U.S. Olympian.
Sep 26, 2014, 4:11 PM EDT
Walsh/Ross go into 2015 with no match experience against upstart Brazilian threat.
Sep 26, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Change comes after issue raised over Russian law for Sochi Olympics.
Sep 26, 2014, 2:38 PM EDT
Figure skater “extraneous from the entire case,” attorney said.
Sep 26, 2014, 1:36 PM EDT
Forty of 47 organizations respond positively to USOC’s query.
Sep 26, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
Ryan Lochte absent from major award nominees list for first time since 2006.
Sep 26, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
The U.S.’ path to another world title got easier last week, despite a defeat.
Sep 26, 2014, 9:41 AM EDT
Japanese star could do better at 2015 Worlds, but Olympic schedule hurts him.
Sep 26, 2014, 7:52 AM EDT
Only one Austrian won more Olympic medals in a career.
Sep 25, 2014, 7:06 PM EDT
The first Australian to win the Tour de France first competed in the Olympics in a different cycling discipline.
- Talk of a sub-two-hour marathon 2
- Dennis Kimetto breaks world record at Berlin Marathon (video) 0
- IOC adds anti-discrimination clause to Olympic host city contract 0
- Michael Phelps, Katie Ledecky lead Golden Goggles nominees 0
- U.S. women can clinch Olympic berth; FIBA World Championships preview 0
- Olympic women’s bobsled medalists eager to race 4-man 0
- What London’s Olympic Stadium will look like as West Ham’s home (photos) 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)