Oct 8, 2013, 9:50 AM EST
What would Herb Brooks think about this?
Jim Craig, the outstanding goalie for the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team, will work for Russian news agency RIA Novosti leading up to and during the Sochi Olympics.
“The Olympics bring together the best of the best athletes from all over the world,” Craig said, according to RIA Novosti. “The Games are packed with emotion, high levels of sportsmanship, and extraordinary human effort and determination. I am thrilled to be part of RIA Novosti’s coverage of the upcoming Winter Olympic Games in Sochi and very much look forward to an incredible display of sports competition and Olympic spirit.”
Beginning this week, Craig will contribute a multimedia blog for RIA Novosti, with “views on current Olympics news to competition forecasts, ‘who to watch’ commentary and reflections on his own historic Olympic experience.”
Craig, 56, made 36 saves in the U.S.’ 4-3 win over the Soviet Union, the “Miracle on Ice,” at the 1980 Winter Olympics. Two days later, he helped the U.S. to a 4-2 win over Finland for gold.
- Elana Meyers Taylor wins historic bobsled World Championship 0
- World’s most athletic couple takes the next leap 0
- Is Simone Biles unbeatable? 0
- Rio Olympics could have multiple cauldrons 0
- Mike Powell eyes masters world record, possible Olympic trials run at age 51 0
- Behind the scenes of Miracle on Ice reunion 0
- Nastia Liukin adds to history of Olympians on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)