Oct 4, 2013, 11:26 AM EST
Italy will reportedly decide on its 2024 Olympic bid aspirations later this month, but one report says Rome has already been ruled out, leaving Milan as the choice.
Italian Olympic officials “ruled out Rome as a candidate” to bid because the city is “on the brink of bankruptcy,” according to Agence France-Presse.
Rome mayor Ignazio Marino said earlier this week the state of the capital’s finances would make such a bid virtually impossible.
Roberto Maroni, the president of the Italian region that includes Milan, said “Rome is on the brink of bankruptcy” and that “a city in these financial straits can not be considered a candidate,” according to AFP.
Rome, which hosted the 1960 Summer Olympics, had a proposed bid for the 2020 Olympics withdrawn by the Italian government due to lack of support.
Italy will not have an internal competition between its two cities under consideration, Italian Olympic Committee president Giovanni Malago said. A decision on 2024 bidding will come later in October, according to Gazzetta dello Sport.
Italy last hosted the Olympics in 2006, when Torino had the Winter Games.
The U.S., which has not hosted an Olympics since the 2002 Winter Games, is considering submitting a bid for the 2024 Games but is not expected to make a decision until late 2014.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:22 AM EST
Franklin will likely need at least two Olympics to pass three U.S. women who share the Olympic medals record.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:03 PM EST
Canada hasn’t been that high since 1996.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:03 PM EST
A first for the U.S. in 20 years.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:39 AM EST
But a “50-50″ shot at qualifying for the Olympics this summer.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:56 AM EST
France may have to qualify for Rio with a team led by Tony Parker.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:20 PM EST
Previously, Phelps and USA Swimming agreed he would withdraw from the World Championships team due to his DUI arrest.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EST
The Olympic champion competes next week for the first time since July.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:07 AM EST
How do the versions for Toronto 2015 compare to previous Pan Am Games medals?
Mar 3, 2015, 10:27 AM EST
Even if baseball is re-added to the Olympics, Fukushima might not be a logical choice to host games.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:59 PM EST
Team GB’s men and women were ousted in the 2012 Olympic quarterfinals.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
The Olympic judo bronze medalist is compared to a former dominant heavyweight boxer.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:47 AM EST
Walsh Jennings also had breakfast with a beach legend in Rio de Janeiro.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:11 AM EST
IOC member and former South Africa Olympic Committee president previously said the nation was readying to bid.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:21 AM EST
Bowe skated with dominance not seen since 2003.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:47 AM EST
Vonn is three away from another World Cup mark.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:44 AM EST
Austrian rival puts on a dominating performance in Garmisch.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:31 AM EST
Vonn will get another chance on Monday.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:05 AM EST
Rousey is undefeated in 11 pro fights since winning Olympic judo bronze in 2008.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:03 AM EST
Meyers Taylor improved from silver medals at the 2013 Worlds and 2014 Olympics.
Feb 27, 2015, 3:55 PM EST
Rio government organization published two videos looking at the construction of Olympic Park.
- Missy Franklin’s dream to become most decorated female swimmer ever 0
- U.S. aerialists, elementary school classmates, sweep World Cup titles 0
- Michael Phelps may be reinstated for World Championships, report says 0
- David Boudia scraps springboard plan; Nick McCrory retires 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross confident after defeat in Brazil showdown 1
- Lindsey Vonn loses super-G standings lead, closes in on another record (video) 0
- Marcel Hirscher’s historically dominant win just about ends Ted Ligety’s title hopes (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)