Oct 4, 2013, 11:26 AM EDT
Italy will reportedly decide on its 2024 Olympic bid aspirations later this month, but one report says Rome has already been ruled out, leaving Milan as the choice.
Italian Olympic officials “ruled out Rome as a candidate” to bid because the city is “on the brink of bankruptcy,” according to Agence France-Presse.
Rome mayor Ignazio Marino said earlier this week the state of the capital’s finances would make such a bid virtually impossible.
Roberto Maroni, the president of the Italian region that includes Milan, said “Rome is on the brink of bankruptcy” and that “a city in these financial straits can not be considered a candidate,” according to AFP.
Rome, which hosted the 1960 Summer Olympics, had a proposed bid for the 2020 Olympics withdrawn by the Italian government due to lack of support.
Italy will not have an internal competition between its two cities under consideration, Italian Olympic Committee president Giovanni Malago said. A decision on 2024 bidding will come later in October, according to Gazzetta dello Sport.
Italy last hosted the Olympics in 2006, when Torino had the Winter Games.
The U.S., which has not hosted an Olympics since the 2002 Winter Games, is considering submitting a bid for the 2024 Games but is not expected to make a decision until late 2014.
Aug 4, 2015, 4:23 PM EDT
The film includes footage from Olympics from 1976 through 2012.
Aug 4, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Franklin got a horrible start in the 100m backstroke.
Aug 4, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
U.S. sailors comment while training at Guanabara Bay.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
The Olympics open on Aug. 5, 2016.
Aug 3, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT
“We swim in waters all around the world, and this was no different from anywhere else,” Gwen Jorgensen said.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:51 PM EDT
May-Treanor retired after the London Olympics and had a baby.
Katinka Hosszu, Sarah Sjostrom break records; Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte make finals at World Championships
Aug 3, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Lochte posted his best time since the London Olympics.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT
Boudia trounced one Chinese star but was beaten by a longtime rival.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:35 AM EDT
“It did feel pretty easy.”
Aug 2, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT
Also, a U.S. Olympic champion’s world record was broken in a semifinal.
Aug 2, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
They could make history in Rio de Janeiro.
Aug 2, 2015, 1:28 AM EDT
Rousey is a 2008 Olympic judo bronze medalist.
Aug 1, 2015, 3:09 PM EDT
It wants to make a decision by the end of the month.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:57 AM EDT
Key swimmers and events to watch.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
Action gets started Sunday in Kazan.
Jul 31, 2015, 6:12 AM EDT
Beijing beat Almaty, Kazakhstan, in a very close IOC vote.
Jul 30, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT
A US Sailing official maintained his stance on the Rio water from last year.
Jul 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT
Watch the goalie’s interview on The Dan Patrick Show.
Jul 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Farah was to have “blood data, supplements data, everything surrounding his medical treatment” investigated.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
NBC, NBC Sports Live Extra and Universal Sports will combine for daily coverage.
- Greg Louganis recalls Olympic diving, HIV, coming out in ‘Back on Board’ film 0
- Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte miss medals; Katie Ledecky breaks record at Worlds 1
- Misty May-Treanor competes for first time in 3 years, not a comeback 0
- Katinka Hosszu, Sarah Sjostrom break records; Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte make finals at World Championships 0
- Katie Ledecky breaks 1500m freestyle world record again 1
- Katie Ledecky, Sun Yang open quests for history with golds at World Championships 0
- Gwen Jorgensen, Sarah True make 2016 U.S. Olympic triathlon team 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)