Sep 30, 2013, 11:48 AM EDT
Munich’s goal is clear: to be the first city to host both the Summer and Winter Olympics.
Germany’s third-largest city is moving ahead with its plans to bid on the 2022 Winter Olympics, the German Olympic Sports Confederation said in a statement Monday.
Munich hosted the 1972 Summer Olympics, highlighted by Mark Spitz‘s record seven swimming gold medals. The Games were struck by tragedy when 11 Israeli athletes and coaches were held hostage in the Olympic village and killed by the Palestinian group Black September.
Munich was beaten by Pyeongchang, South Korea, for the 2018 Winter Games. It must formally bid by the International Olympic Committee’s deadline Nov. 14.
The mountain events would likely be held in nearby Garmisch-Partenkirchen, an hour south of Munich, which hosted the 1936 Winter Olympics. The trend of Winter Olympics to be held in major cities near mountains makes Munich a better option than for Garmisch-Partenkirchen to bid again.
The only official bid for 2022 so far is from Almaty, Kazakhstan, but other European cities, including Barcelona and Oslo, have expressed interest. The U.S. will not bid for the 2022 Olympics.
Oct 30, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Keflezighi faces tough odds to win Sunday, just as in Boston.
Oct 30, 2014, 2:23 PM EDT
The U.S. roster includes zero men who had the fastest time in the world this year in an Olympic event.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:37 AM EDT
Figure skating champion joins MLB outfielder, ballerina.
Oct 29, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT
Anderson is the two-time reigning USA Volleyball Player of the Year.
Oct 29, 2014, 3:03 PM EDT
The 2018 World Championships were already awarded.
Oct 29, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Tennis player flew from Singapore to Denmark to New York this week.
Oct 29, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT
Rising black smoke caused brief panic, but the fire was quickly put out.
Oct 29, 2014, 9:48 AM EDT
Bruno Grandi was at the helm for a judging overhaul.
Oct 29, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT
One of the U.S.’ strongest skaters from last season is not on the team.
Oct 28, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
Sundquist was a partially eaten gingerbread man, a leg lamp and a flamingo in recent years.
Oct 28, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
Either Berlin or Hamburg will be chosen in March.
Oct 28, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT
Those against Boston hosting an Olympics sent a letter to the USOC.
Oct 28, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT
Judge rules in lawsuit over environmental concerns.
Oct 27, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT
China’s Zhang Jike kicked through an advertising board.
Oct 27, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT
The list includes a four-time Olympic champion.
Oct 27, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
Rousseff could join a short list of women to declare open an Olympics in two years.
Oct 27, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
Alexander Kaptarenko carried a Sochi Olympic torch for 200 meters in December.
Oct 27, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Pistorius was sentenced to no more than five years behind prison last week.
Oct 26, 2014, 8:47 PM EDT
Russian who was too young for Sochi Olympics takes title.
Oct 26, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Olympic champion’s worst-ever result in Soelden.
- Meb Keflezighi in familiar spot as New York City Marathon underdog 0
- Matt Anderson taking break from volleyball due to depression 0
- Caroline Wozniacki nervous for New York City Marathon, even in her dreams 0
- Prosecutors to appeal Oscar Pistorius verdict, sentence 3
- Russian triumphs at Skate America; Gracie Gold third (video) 4
- Ted Ligety struggles in first race of season (video) 0
- Japan’s Machida routs U.S. men at Skate America; ice dancers make history 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)