Sep 26, 2013, 8:18 AM EDT
Reigning Olympic and world figure skating champion Kim Yuna‘s preparations for Sochi suffered a setback.
The South Korean will need “around six weeks” to recover after a metatarsal injury to her right foot from training, according to Reuters. South Korea’s Yonhap News reported “up to six weeks,” and Agence France-Presse reported “at least six weeks.”
Kim, who has been in pain since mid-August, withdrew from both of her Grand Prix events this fall, Skate Canada (Oct. 25-27) and Trophee Bombard in Paris (Nov. 15-17), according to Yonhap News.
“If she continues to train hard, her injury could worsen,” a Korea Skating Union official told Yonhap News. “She has to slow down and must receive further treatment. She may need further rehab after her treatment.”
Kim, 23, is attempting to become the first singles figure skater since Katarina Witt (1984 and 1988) to win back-to-back Olympic titles. She has said she plans to retire after the Sochi Olympics.
She returned to major competition this past season after more than 18 months off and dominated the field en route to her second World Championship.
Apr 18, 2014, 9:41 PM EDT
All eyes will be on a changed Boylston Street on Monday.
Apr 18, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Universal Sports will have live coverage and is on a free preview nationwide.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Monday’s race figures to come down to two men.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
An American with Massachusetts ties wants to win.
Apr 17, 2014, 1:59 PM EDT
Mark Wells previously sold his gold medal, too.
Apr 17, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
Sochi club team is being reformed.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Furtsch Ojeda talks about winning 4x100m relay gold at 1932 Olympics.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT
Trial goes on break until May 5.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:54 PM EDT
Olympic swimming champion finished 2013 race before explosions.
Apr 16, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT
Deal takes Nike, USATF through next seven Olympics.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:57 PM EDT
Decathlon champion talks Montreal 1976, Steve Prefontaine and the greatest athlete of all time.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:31 AM EDT
Police commissioner asks spectators not to flock to Boylston Street on Monday.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
Judge will spend break reading 2,000-page court record.
Apr 16, 2014, 4:17 AM EDT
Korea Skating Union is protesting the makeup of judges, not the results.
Apr 15, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
Survivors, first responders, those affected by attack take part in tribute.
Apr 15, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
Teams’ tweets sent at same time Tuesday morning.
Apr 15, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
World’s fastest man might not race again until June.
Apr 15, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT
What is the competition like in Phelps’ potential events?
Apr 15, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT
Prosecution asks for break until May 5.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:16 AM EDT
Ceremony, moment of silence to honor, remember last year’s tragedy.
- Boston Marathon to move forward with traditional spectacle of a finish 0
- Boston Marathon men’s preview 0
- Boston Marathon women’s preview 0
- Miracle on Ice hockey player selling his Olympic gold medal 1
- Evelyn Furtsch Ojeda is first female U.S. Olympic champion to reach 100 years old 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ prosthetic leg used in testimony 0
- Summer Sanders returns to run Boston Marathon again 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (55)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (46)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (37)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)