Sep 26, 2013, 8:18 AM EDT
Reigning Olympic and world figure skating champion Kim Yuna‘s preparations for Sochi suffered a setback.
The South Korean will need “around six weeks” to recover after a metatarsal injury to her right foot from training, according to Reuters. South Korea’s Yonhap News reported “up to six weeks,” and Agence France-Presse reported “at least six weeks.”
Kim, who has been in pain since mid-August, withdrew from both of her Grand Prix events this fall, Skate Canada (Oct. 25-27) and Trophee Bombard in Paris (Nov. 15-17), according to Yonhap News.
“If she continues to train hard, her injury could worsen,” a Korea Skating Union official told Yonhap News. “She has to slow down and must receive further treatment. She may need further rehab after her treatment.”
Kim, 23, is attempting to become the first singles figure skater since Katarina Witt (1984 and 1988) to win back-to-back Olympic titles. She has said she plans to retire after the Sochi Olympics.
She returned to major competition this past season after more than 18 months off and dominated the field en route to her second World Championship.
Aug 20, 2014, 5:34 AM EDT
Phelps’ debut in Australia pushed back to Friday.
Aug 20, 2014, 5:08 AM EDT
Video of Franklin being gingerly helped away from the pool.
Aug 19, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT
Phelps also reflects on his first Olympics, also in Australia.
Aug 19, 2014, 11:36 AM EDT
More medals could be in Indy native’s future in Nanjing.
Aug 19, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Former Giant must shoot for a specific distance in the triple jump.
Aug 19, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
Summer and Winter Olympian said she has taken no breaks more than two days in the last two years.
Aug 19, 2014, 9:39 AM EDT
Canadian makes Olympic history with first career hole-in-one.
Aug 19, 2014, 9:04 AM EDT
Athletes gaining social media friends via interesting device in Nanjing.
Aug 18, 2014, 10:21 PM EDT
Watch what happens when the world’s best teenage athletes interview themselves.
Aug 18, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT
The Jamaican sprinter finishes in 10.06 on Copcabana beach, nearly half a second off his world-record pace.
Aug 17, 2014, 10:21 PM EDT
Team USA won its first three medals at the Youth Olympics in Nanjing Sunday.
Aug 16, 2014, 6:11 PM EDT
London Olympic champion begins quest for Nanjing gold Sunday.
Aug 16, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
IOC president calls on youth athletes to “set a record for selfies.”
Aug 15, 2014, 12:53 PM EDT
Stars missing from Brazil, China, Japan and South Africa.
Aug 15, 2014, 11:46 AM EDT
Other athletes from those nations subject to regular temperature and physical assessment.
Aug 15, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Diniz walked at sub-3-hour marathon pace.
Aug 15, 2014, 9:33 AM EDT
Opening Ceremony is Saturday.
Aug 14, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
Bolt is next scheduled to race in Rio de Janeiro on Sunday.
Aug 14, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad cleared the final steeplechase barrier, then went topless.
Aug 14, 2014, 3:27 PM EDT
Six-time Olympic champion swimmer severed spine in ATV accident June 7.
- Missy Franklin (back) in doubt for Pan Pacific Championships 0
- Golf debuts at Youth Olympics with hole-in-one (video) 0
- Youth Olympics begin with festive Opening Ceremony in Nanjing (photos) 0
- Some athletes from Ebola-hit nations barred from competing at Youth Olympics 0
- Runner DQ’d at European Championships for taking shirt off before win 12
- Amy Van Dyken-Rouen ‘1,000 times better’ leaving hospital (video) 1
- Janet Evans sees parallels with Katie Ledecky 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)