Sep 26, 2013, 8:18 AM EDT
Reigning Olympic and world figure skating champion Kim Yuna‘s preparations for Sochi suffered a setback.
The South Korean will need “around six weeks” to recover after a metatarsal injury to her right foot from training, according to Reuters. South Korea’s Yonhap News reported “up to six weeks,” and Agence France-Presse reported “at least six weeks.”
Kim, who has been in pain since mid-August, withdrew from both of her Grand Prix events this fall, Skate Canada (Oct. 25-27) and Trophee Bombard in Paris (Nov. 15-17), according to Yonhap News.
“If she continues to train hard, her injury could worsen,” a Korea Skating Union official told Yonhap News. “She has to slow down and must receive further treatment. She may need further rehab after her treatment.”
Kim, 23, is attempting to become the first singles figure skater since Katarina Witt (1984 and 1988) to win back-to-back Olympic titles. She has said she plans to retire after the Sochi Olympics.
She returned to major competition this past season after more than 18 months off and dominated the field en route to her second World Championship.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:14 AM EDT
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva landed a triple Axel in one of the greatest short programs of all time.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
The last time Canada won a World title in pairs was before the 2002 judging scandal.
Mar 25, 2015, 9:44 AM EDT
A slight improvement could mark the best U.S. pairs finishes since 2002.
Mar 25, 2015, 9:13 AM EDT
Bolt’s last appearance in New York produced his first world record.
Mar 25, 2015, 8:53 AM EDT
The Olympians could become the second U.S. ice dance couple to win a World Championship.
Mar 24, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
The Olympic and World champion returns to the site of a bloody collision.
Mar 24, 2015, 10:11 AM EDT
Boston will not move forward with an Olympic bid if a majority of state and city residents don’t support it.
Mar 24, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Olympians Erin Hamlin, Chris Mazdzer star in an inside look at the sport.
Mar 24, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
Tuesday marked 500 days out from the Rio Olympic Opening Ceremony.
Mar 23, 2015, 5:50 PM EDT
Three U.S. women have a shot at the podium, and an American ice dance couple could win gold.
Mar 23, 2015, 2:22 PM EDT
Both skiers may look to branch out next season.
Mar 23, 2015, 1:28 PM EDT
Park tested positive for testosterone on Sept. 3.
Mar 23, 2015, 12:40 PM EDT
Plus, what’s at stake for U.S. skaters in Shanghai.
Mar 23, 2015, 11:14 AM EDT
The oldest competitor at USATF Masters Indoors wants to run a 100m at age 100 at the Penn Relays.
Mar 23, 2015, 9:02 AM EDT
Franklin hasn’t decided yet where she will train.
Mar 22, 2015, 9:56 AM EDT
Lindsey Vonn finished ahead of Mikaela Shiffrin.
Mar 22, 2015, 7:25 AM EDT
They will join the two best U.S. gymnasts of the last two years at a competition in Italy.
Mar 21, 2015, 7:46 PM EDT
“This is what I gave things up for, and the best part is it doesn’t even feel like I gave anything up,”
Mar 21, 2015, 1:02 PM EDT
His closest rival is sitting out the final race Sunday.
Mar 21, 2015, 11:37 AM EDT
Why Shiffrin is unlikely to give up the slalom crown for quite some time.
- U.S. women struggle, trail Russian brilliance after World Championships short program 1
- Canadians win World pairs title; best U.S. finish since 2011 0
- Usain Bolt to race individually in U.S. for first time since 2008 0
- Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir preview World Championships men’s, pairs events 0
- Boston 2024 calls for statewide referendum for Olympic bid 1
- U.S. would top 2016 Olympic medal standings in virtual projection 0
- Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir preview World Championships women’s, ice dance events 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)