Sep 26, 2013, 8:18 AM EDT
Reigning Olympic and world figure skating champion Kim Yuna‘s preparations for Sochi suffered a setback.
The South Korean will need “around six weeks” to recover after a metatarsal injury to her right foot from training, according to Reuters. South Korea’s Yonhap News reported “up to six weeks,” and Agence France-Presse reported “at least six weeks.”
Kim, who has been in pain since mid-August, withdrew from both of her Grand Prix events this fall, Skate Canada (Oct. 25-27) and Trophee Bombard in Paris (Nov. 15-17), according to Yonhap News.
“If she continues to train hard, her injury could worsen,” a Korea Skating Union official told Yonhap News. “She has to slow down and must receive further treatment. She may need further rehab after her treatment.”
Kim, 23, is attempting to become the first singles figure skater since Katarina Witt (1984 and 1988) to win back-to-back Olympic titles. She has said she plans to retire after the Sochi Olympics.
She returned to major competition this past season after more than 18 months off and dominated the field en route to her second World Championship.
Sep 30, 2014, 4:18 PM EDT
The 22-time Olympic medalist was pulled over in Maryland overnight.
Sep 30, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT
U.S.’ previous biggest blowout was 70 points over Senegal.
Sep 30, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Competition for the U.S. begins Saturday.
Sep 30, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Summer and Winter Olympian previously said she was all but retired.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT
Vancouver downhill champion expected to ski in Austria on Wednesday.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
Canadian joins long list of skaters sitting out this season.
Sep 30, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Hungarian matched her Monday output on Tuesday but lacked top competition.
Sep 30, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
Olympic slalom champion also gave an update on her 2014-15 plans.
Sep 29, 2014, 1:16 PM EDT
Dennis Kimetto’s record-smashing win in Berlin brings the barrier into closer view.
Sep 29, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT
They call her the “Iron Lady” of swimming.
Sep 29, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
ISU asks for synchronized skating and a new speed skating event for 2018.
Sep 29, 2014, 10:27 AM EDT
Plushenko received criticism for withdrawing at Sochi Olympics.
Sep 28, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
Serbia led 57-56 in the third quarter.
Sep 28, 2014, 5:40 AM EDT
Third Kenyan in four years to break the record in Berlin.
Sep 28, 2014, 4:31 AM EDT
All four rounds in the 100s.
Sep 28, 2014, 4:30 AM EDT
World champion finishes behind Japanese rival.
Sep 27, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Griner played her first game in a Team USA uniform in three years.
Sep 27, 2014, 8:33 AM EDT
U.S. champion shaky in season debut.
Sep 26, 2014, 4:39 PM EDT
First senior international victory for the U.S. Olympian.
Sep 26, 2014, 4:11 PM EDT
Walsh/Ross go into 2015 with no match experience against upstart Brazilian threat.
- Michael Phelps arrested on DUI charges 2
- Lauryn Williams ‘playing with the idea’ of bobsled this season 0
- Lindsey Vonn set for first skiing in 10 months, named 2016 Youth Olympics ambassador 0
- Talk of a sub-two-hour marathon 2
- Dennis Kimetto breaks world record at Berlin Marathon (video) 0
- IOC adds anti-discrimination clause to Olympic host city contract 0
- Michael Phelps, Katie Ledecky lead Golden Goggles nominees 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)