Sep 26, 2013, 8:18 AM EDT
Reigning Olympic and world figure skating champion Kim Yuna‘s preparations for Sochi suffered a setback.
The South Korean will need “around six weeks” to recover after a metatarsal injury to her right foot from training, according to Reuters. South Korea’s Yonhap News reported “up to six weeks,” and Agence France-Presse reported “at least six weeks.”
Kim, who has been in pain since mid-August, withdrew from both of her Grand Prix events this fall, Skate Canada (Oct. 25-27) and Trophee Bombard in Paris (Nov. 15-17), according to Yonhap News.
“If she continues to train hard, her injury could worsen,” a Korea Skating Union official told Yonhap News. “She has to slow down and must receive further treatment. She may need further rehab after her treatment.”
Kim, 23, is attempting to become the first singles figure skater since Katarina Witt (1984 and 1988) to win back-to-back Olympic titles. She has said she plans to retire after the Sochi Olympics.
She returned to major competition this past season after more than 18 months off and dominated the field en route to her second World Championship.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
Film documenting Missy Franklin’s lead-up to London debuts next month.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Cejudo pulled out of his original debut Aug. 30.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Eight members of 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team will conduct spring event.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
Red Bull video shows skiers in LED lights at night in Alaska.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Vido Loncar banned for life by Croatian boxing federation.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:04 AM EDT
Borre Rognlien’s move unrelated to Oslo’s failed bid and threats, according to reports.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:37 AM EDT
Pistorius would not be allowed to run, even if he is out of jail and under correctional supervision.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:18 AM EDT
Pistorius could serve less than one year in prison.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:52 PM EDT
A look back at the greatest head-to-head duel in track and field history.
Oct 20, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
Olympic champion hasn’t retired from Nordic combined, either.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT
“Morning joggers helped us and also guided us to the nearest metro station.”
Oct 20, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
How fast would they have to traverse the Bernabeu to have Olympic 100m final speed?
Oct 20, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Olympic downhill champion told German magazine she has good days and bad days.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Ohno said he went into “full warrior mode” in Hawaii.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:06 AM EDT
Two-time Olympian held U.S. mile record until 2007.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT
U.S. Embassy scale had air pollution level at “hazardous.”
Oct 20, 2014, 8:37 AM EDT
Shamil Tarpischev, Russian tennis president, is also a longtime IOC member.
Oct 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
How top Americans, Austrian going for history will be affected this World Cup season.
Oct 17, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Two-time Olympic halfpipe champion won’t be competing, though.
Oct 17, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
Top U.S. skaters are incorporating new rule into their programs this season.
- Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison 3
- The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record 0
- Apolo Ohno on Ironman: A milestone among my 8 Olympic medals 1
- Beijing Marathon run through smog (video, photos) 0
- Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season 0
- Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists 0
- Noelle Pikus-Pace: I already miss skeleton, but happily retired 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)