Sep 26, 2013, 8:18 AM EST
Reigning Olympic and world figure skating champion Kim Yuna‘s preparations for Sochi suffered a setback.
The South Korean will need “around six weeks” to recover after a metatarsal injury to her right foot from training, according to Reuters. South Korea’s Yonhap News reported “up to six weeks,” and Agence France-Presse reported “at least six weeks.”
Kim, who has been in pain since mid-August, withdrew from both of her Grand Prix events this fall, Skate Canada (Oct. 25-27) and Trophee Bombard in Paris (Nov. 15-17), according to Yonhap News.
“If she continues to train hard, her injury could worsen,” a Korea Skating Union official told Yonhap News. “She has to slow down and must receive further treatment. She may need further rehab after her treatment.”
Kim, 23, is attempting to become the first singles figure skater since Katarina Witt (1984 and 1988) to win back-to-back Olympic titles. She has said she plans to retire after the Sochi Olympics.
She returned to major competition this past season after more than 18 months off and dominated the field en route to her second World Championship.
Jan 30, 2015, 4:53 PM EST
NBC’s figure skating analysts will be part of Super Bowl XLIX pregame coverage starting at noon ET on Sunday.
Jan 30, 2015, 4:12 PM EST
Rupp will compete in the Armory Track Invitational on NBCSN on Saturday.
Jan 30, 2015, 11:00 AM EST
Tatyana Chernova beat Jessica Ennis at the 2011 World Championships.
Jan 30, 2015, 9:32 AM EST
The ban would rule Jeptoo out of the Rio Olympics.
Jan 29, 2015, 3:41 PM EST
Five women to watch, plus the schedule of events.
Jan 29, 2015, 3:37 PM EST
How to watch Lindsey Vonn, Mikaela Shiffrin and more go for gold in Colorado.
Jan 29, 2015, 9:32 AM EST
The relay will start in May 2016.
Jan 28, 2015, 3:23 PM EST
“I only did it to send a message,” shoveler said.
Jan 28, 2015, 2:02 PM EST
An Olympic legend helped convince him to come back, possibly for the 2018 Olympics.
Jan 27, 2015, 4:14 PM EST
Bowie may try to make the World Championships team in three individual events.
Jan 27, 2015, 2:37 PM EST
Once Usain Bolt’s top rival, the Jamaican is returning from a second major injury in as many years.
Jan 26, 2015, 2:41 PM EST
Armstrong touched on many topics in a BBC interview.
Jan 26, 2015, 10:58 AM EST
Could Hingis return to Olympic tennis, 20 years after her only Olympic appearance?
Jan 26, 2015, 8:41 AM EST
Park’s management agency cited “an illegal injection administered by a local doctor.”
Jan 25, 2015, 9:48 PM EST
Brown is the youngest U.S. men’s champion since 2004.
Jan 25, 2015, 7:35 PM EST
Instead, past Winter X Games champions prevailed in Aspen.
Jan 25, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Jason Brown tries to become the youngest U.S. men’s champion since 2004.
Jan 25, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
An inside look at the skier’s comeback from two major knee surgeries.
Jan 25, 2015, 7:36 AM EST
Vonn captured victory No. 64 in St. Moritz, Switzerland.
Jan 24, 2015, 11:50 PM EST
Wagner becomes the oldest women’s champion since Michelle Kwan.
- Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir at Super Bowl Media Day (video) 0
- Galen Rupp talks training with Mo Farah, marathons, weird drug test story 0
- Russian Olympic, World champions get doping bans 0
- Lindsey Vonn, Mikaela Shiffrin lead World Alpine Skiing Championships women’s preview 1
- Rio 2016 Olympic torch relay details announced 0
- K.C. Boutiette returns to World Cup speed skating for first time since 2006 0
- Tori Bowie ‘going after medals’ after breakthrough season 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)