Sep 25, 2013, 4:52 PM EDT
Rising U.S. figure skater Gracie Gold has “officially commenced training” with venerated coach Frank Carroll, U.S. Figure Skating announced Wednesday.
“I’m happy to be working with Frank Carroll,” Gold said, according to a press release. “He’s a wonderful coach. I’m grateful for this opportunity and I am looking forward to the future.”
Gold, 18, who had trained in the Chicago area and, recently, Canton, Mich., will be in Los Angeles full time, according to the Chicago Tribune.
Gold split with Chicagoland-based coach Alex Ouriashev in August, raising concerns less than six months before the Sochi Olympics. She shot to prominence under Ouriashev, winning silver at the 2013 U.S. Championships and finishing sixth at the World Championships, helping the U.S. earn three women’s singles spots for Sochi.
She stumbled in her first competition of this season, taking second at the U.S. International Classic earlier this month. The field there did not include any international stars, nor did it include U.S. champion Ashley Wagner.
Carroll, based in El Segundo, Calif., is best known for coaching five-time world champion Michelle Kwan for much of her career and, currently, 2010 Olympic champion Evan Lysacek.
“I am excited to be coaching Gracie Gold,” Carroll said. “We have been working together for about a week now, and I feel like we are a good student-coach match. I’m looking forward to the progress she will continue to make as an athlete.”
Gold’s next event is expected to be Skate Canada, Oct. 25-27, in Saint John, New Brunswick. The star of the competition there should be reigning world and Olympic champion Yuna Kim.
The Olympic trials are in January in Boston, where Gold is expected, but certainly not assured, to snatch one of three spots in Sochi.
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski, Terry Gannon named NBC’s lead figure skating announcers 0
- Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison 3
- The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record 0
- Apolo Ohno on Ironman: A milestone among my 8 Olympic medals 1
- Beijing Marathon run through smog (video, photos) 0
- Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season 0
- Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)