Sep 23, 2013, 9:50 AM EDT
Australian Olympic champion Sally Pearson may never snatch the world record in the 100-meter hurdles, but she’s now a Guinness World Record holder.
Pearson, 27 and the 2008 Olympic champion, smashed the world record for the 100-meter egg-and-spoon run Monday. She conquered a green path laid outside a Holiday Inn in downtown Sydney, where traffic had to be stopped, in 16.59 seconds.
Pearson easily broke the previous mark of 19.39 seconds set by New Yorker Ashrita Furman. You may remember Furman, who owns more than 100 world records including the world record for most world records, from an HBO “Real Sports” feature a few years ago.
“I’m pretty stoked to take it,” Pearson said, according to the Daily Telegraph. “I never thought my first world record would be in the egg and spoon.”
“But I was really happy to give it a crack.”
Pearson’s personal best in the 100-meter hurdles is 12.28 seconds, .07 of a second shy of Bulgarian Yordanka Donkova‘s mark from 1988.
I just broke the world record 4 the fastest egg and spoon race in 16.59! Didn't think not would be my 1st world record but ill take it!! :)—
Sally Pearson (@sallyp100h) September 22, 2013
“We are getting a lot of teams competing lately,” Guinness World Record spokesman Chris Sheedy told the Daily Telegraph. “But you don’t see an individual beat the record like that.”
“I think that one will stand for a while.”
- Brazil eyes 27 to 30 medals at Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt not happy with Tyson Gay’s reduced ban 1
- Gabby Douglas helps girl’s dream come true with Make-A-Wish 0
- Guide to the Commonwealth Games 0
- 90-plus-year-old men set 3 world relay records at USATF Masters 0
- Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics chief quits 0
- Tori Bowie, Justin Gatlin star at Monaco Diamond League meet 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)