Sep 23, 2013, 9:50 AM EST
Australian Olympic champion Sally Pearson may never snatch the world record in the 100-meter hurdles, but she’s now a Guinness World Record holder.
Pearson, 27 and the 2008 Olympic champion, smashed the world record for the 100-meter egg-and-spoon run Monday. She conquered a green path laid outside a Holiday Inn in downtown Sydney, where traffic had to be stopped, in 16.59 seconds.
Pearson easily broke the previous mark of 19.39 seconds set by New Yorker Ashrita Furman. You may remember Furman, who owns more than 100 world records including the world record for most world records, from an HBO “Real Sports” feature a few years ago.
“I’m pretty stoked to take it,” Pearson said, according to the Daily Telegraph. “I never thought my first world record would be in the egg and spoon.”
“But I was really happy to give it a crack.”
Pearson’s personal best in the 100-meter hurdles is 12.28 seconds, .07 of a second shy of Bulgarian Yordanka Donkova‘s mark from 1988.
“We are getting a lot of teams competing lately,” Guinness World Record spokesman Chris Sheedy told the Daily Telegraph. “But you don’t see an individual beat the record like that.”
“I think that one will stand for a while.”
- Alan Webb set for first Olympic-sized triathlon test Saturday 0
- Missy Franklin’s dream to become most decorated female swimmer ever 1
- U.S. aerialists, elementary school classmates, sweep World Cup titles 0
- Michael Phelps may be reinstated for World Championships, report says 0
- David Boudia scraps springboard plan; Nick McCrory retires 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross confident after defeat in Brazil showdown 1
- Lindsey Vonn loses super-G standings lead, closes in on another record (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)