Usain Bolt ‘reconsidering’ retiring after 2016 Olympics, trains with Sergio Aguero (video)

Sep 19, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT

Usain Bolt

Usain Bolt‘s having second thoughts about retiring, three years before his planned retirement.

“I am definitely reconsidering (retiring after 2016),” Bolt said, according to the Telegraph. “I think my fans especially have really voiced their concern about me retiring.

“They think I should carry on, and so do my sponsors. I have discussed it with my coach, and he says it is possible. We will see what happens, but it’s on the cards that I will extend it by one more year.”

Bolt, 27, made global headlines Sept. 4, before his final meet of the season, when he said “it will be a good time to retire” after the 2016 Olympics.

If Bolt goes one more year, he could finish his career at the 2017 World Championships, which will be in London, site of his triple gold performance at the 2012 Olympics.

Bolt has been spending time in England promoting his new book, “Faster than Lightning,” a title that contradicts the title of one of his previous books.

He also repeated his desire to compete at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland, next year, should his coach OK it. Bolt has never competed at the once-every-four-years competition. He later said on BBC radio he would likely only run the 200 in Glasgow.

Bolt was also asked about the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, which do not seem like a possibility. Bolt will turn 34 in August 2020 and be at a similar age to Carl Lewis (35), Michael Johnson (33) and Donovan Bailey (32) at their final Olympics.

“I have not thought about (Japan),” Bolt said, according to the Telegraph. “It’s a long way away, but if I win the next Olympics I will have done everything I wanted to do in my career so there would be no reason to continue (to Japan 2020).”

Bolt, a noted Manchester United supporter, also recently went out of his way to help a rival before the Manchester Derby on Sunday.

The world’s fastest man gave Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero a lesson in speed in a Puma video published Thursday. He even donned a red United jersey with the No. 10.

“Usain was terrible at the beginning, but I realized after a while that he was just trying to wear me out,” Aguero said, according to the Telegraph. “When he started to play properly, he showed some skills though. He is not good enough to play for City, but I think he would have a good chance of getting into the United team.”

Remember, Bolt was reported to be on the United roster list for a preseason tribute match in August, one day before the first round of the 100 meters at the World Championships.

Bolt’s agent quickly squashed that, but Bolt has said he’d like a shot at soccer, perhaps after he retires.

Book signing in London #FasterThanLightning #longline #fans

A photo posted by Usain St.Leo Bolt (@usainbolt) on

Usain Bolt’s dream home

Latest Posts
  1. South Sudan set for Olympic recognition

Jul 28, 2015, 9:14 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

A South Sudanese marathon runner competed under a different flag at London 2012.

2. Haley Anderson makes second Olympic team

Jul 28, 2015, 7:09 AM EDT

AP AP

Her 17-year-old teammate missed out, though, at the World Championships.

3. Phil Dalhausser, Sean Rosenthal split

Jul 27, 2015, 11:59 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

An injury to Dalhausser spelled doom to their partnership.

4. Boston ends bid for 2024 Olympics; USOC wants another city

Jul 27, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT

Boston 2024

The 2024 bid race is down to four cities.

5. Kerri Walsh Jennings to return at World Series of Beach Volleyball in August

Jul 27, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

The three-time Olympic champion hasn’t played since dislocating a shoulder July 10.

6. Olympic equestrian champ’s ban lifted in horse doping case

Jul 27, 2015, 4:36 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Steve Guerdat’s provisional ban was announced last Tuesday.

7. Boston mayor: Olympic bid won’t go forward if forced to sign contract today

Jul 27, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT

Boston 2024

Public support in Boston and Massachusetts has been less than 50 percent for months.

8. Nike makes Ashton Eaton a ‘cooling hood’

Jul 27, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT

Nike Cooling Mask Nike

“Why does it feel good, after running, to pour a bottle of water over your head?”

9. Can Tour de France stars contend for medals at 2016 Olympics?

Jul 27, 2015, 8:48 AM EDT

AP AP

The Rio Games open less than two weeks after the 2016 Tour de France ends.

10. U.S. women dominate en route to FIVB World Grand Prix title

Jul 27, 2015, 8:18 AM EDT

AP AP

The U.S. can achieve an Olympic first in Rio de Janeiro next year.

11. Bill May becomes first man to win World Synchronized Swimming Championship

Jul 27, 2015, 7:36 AM EDT

AP AP

May is a 36-year-old Cirque du Soleil performer who came out of a 10-year retirement.

12. Neymar: I told Barcelona I want to play in Rio Olympics

Jul 26, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Brazil’s coach has said Neymar’s Olympic participation is dependent on talks with Barcelona.

13. Michael Phelps: I’ve looked at my 22 medals together once or twice

Jul 26, 2015, 2:34 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

More highlights from Phelps’ Q&A at the Doha Goals Forum.

14. Simone Biles routs Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman at Secret Classic

Jul 25, 2015, 11:59 PM EDT

AP AP

Next up are the P&G Championships in three weeks.

15. Jennifer Wu makes 2016 U.S. Olympic team in table tennis

Jul 25, 2015, 7:06 PM EDT

AP AP

Wu is the second athlete to make the 2016 U.S. Olympic team across all sports.

16. Simone Biles as powerful as male gymnasts, Jonathan Horton says

Jul 25, 2015, 7:43 AM EDT

AP AP

“She is as dominant as any athlete in any sport,” USA Gymnastics president Steve Penny said.

17. Shawn Johnson engaged after throwing first pitch (video)

Jul 24, 2015, 7:09 PM EDT

Shawn Johnson, Andrew East

Johnson is at least the fourth member of the 2008 U.S. Olympic women’s gymnastics team to get engaged.

18. Usain Bolt returns with quick 100m wins in London

Jul 24, 2015, 5:22 PM EDT

AP AP

Less than a month until a showdown with Justin Gatlin at the World Championships.