Sep 19, 2013, 12:17 PM EDT
To those wondering if and when Rebecca Soni will return to swimming competition: keep waiting.
Soni, 26 and a six-time Olympic medalist, was asked about the 2016 Olympics by the (Manhattan Beach, Calif.) Beach Reporter weekly newspaper in an article published Thursday.
I have to ask about you about 2016 Summer Olympics; have you decided to go for it again?
At the moment, I’m focusing on things away from the pool, but you never know.
That’s in line with what the Los Angeles Times reported in March, that “for now, she is not sure about her future in the pool, beyond taking off this year.”
Soni was still in the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency’s drug-testing pool as of the second quarter of 2013, meaning she wouldn’t have to wait nine months before returning to international competition (like Michael Phelps would).
Soni attended the World Championships in Barcelona in August, where Dane Rikke Møller Pedersen broke her world record in the 200-meter breaststroke semifinals (video here).
If Soni decides to come back for 2016, she’ll put a sterling Olympic record on the line. She has won a medal in every Olympic event she has entered (two golds in the 200 breast, two silvers in the 100 breast and one of each in the medley relay). She won’t catch Natalie Coughlin, who went 11 for 11 over three Games.
But Soni can break former rival Leisel Jones‘ record of most Olympic medals in breaststroke events. Soni has four. The retired Jones has five.
Soni also told the Beach Reporter she will start teaching Pilates classes next week (Tuesdays at 6 and 7 a.m. at Redondo RockIt Body Pilates) after working to become a certified instructor this year.
- Misty May-Treanor competes for first time in 3 years, not a comeback 0
- Katinka Hosszu, Sarah Sjostrom break records; Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte make finals at World Championships 0
- Katie Ledecky breaks 1500m freestyle world record again 1
- Katie Ledecky, Sun Yang open quests for history with golds at World Championships 0
- Gwen Jorgensen, Sarah True make 2016 U.S. Olympic triathlon team 0
- USOC to talk with other three finalists to replace Boston 2024 Olympic bid 1
- World Swimming Championships women’s preview 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)