Sep 19, 2013, 12:53 PM EDT
The International Olympic Committee wants to make sure the 2022 World Cup will not clash with the 2022 Olympic Winter Games.
It reportedly “warned” FIFA about switching the dates of the Qatar 2022 event.
“We were aware that FIFA might consider changing the dates for the 2022 World Cup,” an IOC spokesman told the Press Association in the United Kingdom. “We are confident that FIFA will discuss the dates with us so as to co-ordinate them and avoid any affect on the Winter Games.”
In August, it was reported that though moving the World Cup out of the oppressive Qatari summer was likely, it was unlikely to move to February, the usual month for the Winter Olympics.
The Press Association reported FIFA is expected to agree in principle to move the Qatar 2022 World Cup out of the normal June/July slot at a meeting Oct. 3-4.
The IOC will award the 2022 Winter Olympics to a host city in two years, likely in Europe.
- Boston Marathon to move forward with traditional spectacle of a finish 0
- Boston Marathon men’s preview 0
- Boston Marathon women’s preview 0
- Miracle on Ice hockey player selling his Olympic gold medal 1
- Evelyn Furtsch Ojeda is first female U.S. Olympic champion to reach 100 years old 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ prosthetic leg used in testimony 0
- Summer Sanders returns to run Boston Marathon again 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (55)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (46)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (37)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)