Sep 19, 2013, 12:53 PM EDT
The International Olympic Committee wants to make sure the 2022 World Cup will not clash with the 2022 Olympic Winter Games.
It reportedly “warned” FIFA about switching the dates of the Qatar 2022 event.
“We were aware that FIFA might consider changing the dates for the 2022 World Cup,” an IOC spokesman told the Press Association in the United Kingdom. “We are confident that FIFA will discuss the dates with us so as to co-ordinate them and avoid any affect on the Winter Games.”
In August, it was reported that though moving the World Cup out of the oppressive Qatari summer was likely, it was unlikely to move to February, the usual month for the Winter Olympics.
The Press Association reported FIFA is expected to agree in principle to move the Qatar 2022 World Cup out of the normal June/July slot at a meeting Oct. 3-4.
The IOC will award the 2022 Winter Olympics to a host city in two years, likely in Europe.
- Gwen Jorgensen’s glory awaits in Edmonton 0
- Tyson Gay last place in Zurich; Jenny Simpson leads U.S. winners (video) 0
- Youth Olympics wrap with Closing Ceremony, Lionel Messi cameo (photos) 0
- U.S. finishes Youth Olympics with 22 medals, 10 golds 0
- Zurich Diamond League final preview 0
- Jonathan Horton boosted by 2008 teammate to successful return 0
- Sam Mikulak rallies for repeat P&G Championships title (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)