Sep 18, 2013, 12:18 PM EDT
The name for Missy Franklin‘s first college swimming competition is fitting: Queen of the Pool.
Franklin is expected to compete in Cal’s season-opening meet hosted by Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, Calif., Cal Athletics said. In the meet, swimmers go against each other in a pentathlon — 100 yards for all four strokes plus a 100-yard individual medley.
NCAA competitions are done in yards, so it will be tough to measure Franklin’s NCAA times with her top times from major international meets.
But swimming fans who yearn to see how Franklin fares across all stroke disciplines should be appeased. Franklin has only done the backstroke and freestyle in World Championships and Olympics.
Her competition will be tough. Cal won the NCAA title in 2011 and 2012 and was runner-up to Georgia this past season. Olympic teammate Rachel Bootsma won Queen of the Pool last year in her first college meet.
On Saturday, Franklin and Bootsma could be part of co-ed relays. Remember that FINA approved mixed-gender relays in July, meaning they could be in place for the 2015 World Championships.
Here’s video of Cal’s female freshmen swimmers, including Franklin, serenading the men’s water polo team with the school’s fight song, an annual tradition:
- Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison 0
- The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record 0
- Apolo Ohno on Ironman: A milestone among my 8 Olympic medals 1
- Beijing Marathon run through smog (video, photos) 0
- Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season 0
- Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists 0
- Noelle Pikus-Pace: I already miss skeleton, but happily retired 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)