Sep 16, 2013, 2:40 PM EST
Olympic figure skating champion Evan Lysacek is running out of time to start his competitive comeback.
“I’m a little worried because the clock is ticking,” Lysacek’s coach, Frank Carroll, told the Chicago Tribune‘s Phil Hersh. “He has to go somewhere and do something to get qualifying score.”
Lysacek, 28, pulled out of last week’s U.S. International Classic with a “slight abdominal tear,” according to U.S. Figure Skating. That was scheduled to be his first competition since winning gold at the 2010 Olympics. The comeback has also been delayed by a groin injury and sports hernia surgery over the last year.
Now, Lysacek looks to Skate America in Detroit, Oct. 18-20. It’s his only Grand Prix assignment of the season. U.S. Figure Skating said Monday the Lysacek is still scheduled to compete at Skate America.
Carroll’s quote mentioned a “qualifying score.” Lysacek must post a minimum score in the short and long programs in an international competition before Jan. 27 to be eligible for the Olympics.
The U.S. Championships, from which the Olympic team will be named, are Jan. 5-12 in Boston. Of course, that is not an international competition.
Carroll said Lysacek’s return to practice is uncertain, according to Hersh.
- Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir at Super Bowl Media Day (video) 0
- Galen Rupp talks training with Mo Farah, marathons, weird drug test story 0
- Russian Olympic, World champions get doping bans 0
- Lindsey Vonn, Mikaela Shiffrin lead World Alpine Skiing Championships women’s preview 1
- Rio 2016 Olympic torch relay details announced 0
- K.C. Boutiette returns to World Cup speed skating for first time since 2006 0
- Tori Bowie ‘going after medals’ after breakthrough season 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)