Sep 16, 2013, 2:40 PM EST
Olympic figure skating champion Evan Lysacek is running out of time to start his competitive comeback.
“I’m a little worried because the clock is ticking,” Lysacek’s coach, Frank Carroll, told the Chicago Tribune‘s Phil Hersh. “He has to go somewhere and do something to get qualifying score.”
Lysacek, 28, pulled out of last week’s U.S. International Classic with a “slight abdominal tear,” according to U.S. Figure Skating. That was scheduled to be his first competition since winning gold at the 2010 Olympics. The comeback has also been delayed by a groin injury and sports hernia surgery over the last year.
Now, Lysacek looks to Skate America in Detroit, Oct. 18-20. It’s his only Grand Prix assignment of the season. U.S. Figure Skating said Monday the Lysacek is still scheduled to compete at Skate America.
Carroll’s quote mentioned a “qualifying score.” Lysacek must post a minimum score in the short and long programs in an international competition before Jan. 27 to be eligible for the Olympics.
The U.S. Championships, from which the Olympic team will be named, are Jan. 5-12 in Boston. Of course, that is not an international competition.
Carroll said Lysacek’s return to practice is uncertain, according to Hersh.
- Missy Franklin’s dream to become most decorated female swimmer ever 1
- U.S. aerialists, elementary school classmates, sweep World Cup titles 0
- Michael Phelps may be reinstated for World Championships, report says 0
- David Boudia scraps springboard plan; Nick McCrory retires 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross confident after defeat in Brazil showdown 1
- Lindsey Vonn loses super-G standings lead, closes in on another record (video) 0
- Marcel Hirscher’s historically dominant win just about ends Ted Ligety’s title hopes (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)