Sep 13, 2013, 11:03 PM EDT
U.S. champion Max Aaron began his season with a win, but he has plenty of work ahead of him.
Aaron, 21, posted a total score of 239.21 to take the U.S. International Figure Skating Classic in Salt Lake City on Friday night. But his planned free skate with three quadruple jumps didn’t go smoothly.
Aaron popped his first into a double toe loop, put his hand down on a quad salchow and spun out of a landing on another quad salchow.
Still, it was easily enough to beat three other Americans in the absence of Olympic champion Evan Lysacek, who pulled out of the event Monday.
Stephen Carriere (225.54), Josh Farris (206.56) and Grant Hochstein (191.91) followed Aaron in the standings (full results below). None landed a clean quad. Carriere, who was 10th at nationals, fell on a quad toe loop. Farris, the world junior champion, sat down a triple axel.
Aaron goes into the Olympic season as one of the top contenders to make the two-man Olympic team at nationals in Boston in January.
Lysacek hasn’t competed since the 2010 Olympics. U.S. silver and bronze medalists Ross Miner and Jeremy Abbott also did not compete in Salt Lake City.
Next up is Skate America in Detroit from Oct. 18-20. Aaron, Lysacek and 2012 U.S. silver medalist Adam Rippon are the Americans entered there.
Canadians Kirsten Moore-Towers and Dylan Moscovitch won the pairs competition for the second straight year.
They extended a six-point lead from Thursday’s short program to win by 13 points over 2012 U.S. champions Caydee Denney and John Coughlin. Moore-Towers and Moscovitch were fourth at the World Championships in March.
2013 U.S. champions Marissa Castelli and Simon Shnapir fell from second after the short program into fourth behind another American pair, Tarah Kayne and Daniel O’Shea.
It’s early, but Denney and Coughlin got an early boost going into the Olympic season. Two U.S. pairs teams will qualify for the Olympics at nationals in January.
Denney and Coughlin, Castelli and Shnapir and Felicia Zhang and Nathan Bartholomay, who were last Friday, are the U.S. teams entered in Skate America.
1. Max Aaron (USA) 239.21
2. Stephen Carriere (USA) 225.54
3. Josh Farris (USA) 206.56
4. Grant Hochstein (USA) 191.91
5. Christopher Caluza (PHI) 185.33
6. Michael Christian Martinez (PHI) 183.04
7. Andrei Rogozine (CAN) 168.92
8. Stanislav Samohin (ISR) 163.71
9. Oleksii Bychenko (ISR) 162.71
10. Charles Pao (TPE) 95.18
1. Moore-Towers/Moscovitch (CAN) 201.30
2. Denney/Coughlin (USA) 188.47
3. Kayne/O’Shea (USA) 167.27
4. Castelli/Shnapir (USA) 165.91
5. Lawrence/Swiegers (CAN) 155.00
6. Davidovich/Krasnapolsky (ISR) 133.07
7. Zhang/Bartholomay (USA) 130.20
Oct 24, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Austrian eyes history, while Ted Ligety, Bode Miller look to fill resume holes.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:42 AM EDT
New rule allows women to compete in four-man bobsled this year.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:11 PM EDT
Sochi disappointment gave Davis a deeper appreciation for past success going into post-Olympic season.
Oct 23, 2014, 3:14 PM EDT
Felix came back from torn hamstring to post the fastest 200m time since the London Olympics.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
Several U.S. Olympians dot the field in Grand Prix series opener.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
Pistorius is banned from competing during his sentence, even if not in jail, by Paralympic and South African Olympic Committees.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
Expect to see more of Mikaela Shiffrin and Lindsey Vonn than last year, but neither appears a threat to the world’s best overall skier.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:49 AM EDT
Kosovo, which gained independence from Serbia in 2008, could field an Olympic delegation for the first time in 2016.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT
Gardner’s Olympic medals were sold last year.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
Olympic ski slopestyle champion also needed rabies shots after dog bite.
Oct 22, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
Kosovo has never competed at the Olympics as an independent nation.
Oct 22, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT
Vincenzo Nibali, Chris Froome, Alberto Contador have mixed opinions.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:09 AM EDT
Team will make its season debut with Skate America this weekend.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
Zubkov, 40, had already said he wouldn’t compete this season.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
Tarmoh was part of the infamous tie at the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT
Kosovo has yet to field a delegation at the Olympics.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
Film documenting Missy Franklin’s lead-up to London debuts next month.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Cejudo pulled out of his original debut Aug. 30.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Eight members of 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team will conduct spring event.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
Red Bull video shows skiers in LED lights at night in Alaska.
- Alpine skiing men’s World Cup preview 0
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski preview Skate America 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ agent seeks prison meeting to discuss running future 0
- Alpine skiing women’s World Cup preview 0
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski, Terry Gannon named NBC’s lead figure skating announcers 0
- Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison 4
- The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)