Sep 12, 2013, 3:41 PM EDT
The bronze medal from the 2000 Olympic men’s road cycling time trial is no longer owned by Lance Armstrong.
Armstrong tweeted a photo of the medal, saying it is back in the possession of the U.S. Olympic Committee (which is @USOlympic, not @USOlympics) and on the way to the International Olympic Committee in Switzerland.
The IOC is headquartered in Lausanne, Switzerland.
USOC chief communications officer Patrick Sandusky confirmed on Twitter that the USOC received the medal and made arrangements to return it to the IOC. The IOC and the USOC previously requested that the medal be returned.
Armstrong was stripped of the medal eight months ago after he admitted to doping during his cycling career. Armstrong won bronze in the 2000 Olympic time trial behind a gold medalist (Viatcheslav Ekimov) who was part of Armstrong’s U.S. Postal Service Team at the Tour de France and a silver medalist (Jan Ullrich) who said he blood doped during his career.
Fourth-place Abraham Olano of Spain’s name came up in a French senate report of cyclists who doped in the 1998 Tour de France. Fifth-place Lauren Jalabert of France acknowledged a positive drug test from the same 1998 Tour in July.
The IOC has said the bronze medal will not be given to another cyclist.
- U.S. finishes World Championships with fewest medals since 2003 0
- Usain Bolt anchors Jamaica to 4x100m relay gold after U.S. mishap 3
- Ashton Eaton breaks decathlon world record, wins World Championship 2
- Aries Merritt wins bronze before kidney transplant; incredible Worlds performances 0
- Usain Bolt may retire after Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt crushes Justin Gatlin in World Championships 200m 5
- Allyson Felix wins 400m, breaks U.S. record for Worlds medals; Rio preview? 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (62)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)