Sep 10, 2013, 2:37 PM EST
At its peak, more than 26,000 tweets were sent out per minute during Tokyo’s win in the 2020 Olympic host city election, according to Twitter’s blog.
Twitter even posted an interactive global map based off geotagged tweets about Saturday’s vote.
To no surprise, the decision was most tweeted about in Tokyo, Madrid, Istanbul, the three finalist cities, and Buenos Aires, Argentina, site of the vote. London and New York appeared to be not too far behind, though.
Be sure to follow Tokyo 2020′s official account — @Tokyo2020jp.
- Lindsey Vonn to skip St. Moritz, ski Val d’Isere downhill 1
- Michael Johnson: track and field would be dead without Olympics 0
- Shaun White, Kelly Clark headline Dew Tour Olympic qualifying event 1
- Evan Lysacek will not compete at Sochi Olympics (video) 2
- Ted Ligety, Bode Miller go 1-2 in Beaver Creek giant slalom (video) 1
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (54)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (45)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (29)
- Vladimir Putin tells critics of Russia at World University Games to ‘try some Viagra’ (18)
- IOC convinced there will be no discrimination at Sochi Olympics (16)