Sep 10, 2013, 9:20 AM EDT
The head of the USOC is now a member of the IOC.
Larry Probst, the chairman of the U.S. Olympic Committee, was voted in at the International Olympic Committee session in Buenos Aires, Argentina, on Tuesday. He received 71 votes for and 20 against.
“I’m honored by today’s election and proud to serve as a member of the International Olympic Committee,” Probst said in a statement. “It has been a great privilege to serve as chairman of the United States Olympic Committee and I look forward to continuing our collective efforts to advance the Olympic Movement and its important values of respect, friendship and excellence.”
Probst becomes the fourth IOC member from the U.S., joining Anita DeFrantz, Jim Easton and Angela Ruggiero. Probst’s election gives the U.S. more influence on the international level.
Only Switzerland has more IOC members with five out of 112 from around the globe.
Probst was among nine new members elected, including Russian Olympic Committee president Alexander Zhukov, Swedish 2004 Olympic high jump champion Stefan Holm and Kenyan distance-running great Paul Tergat. Here’s the full list from the IOC:
-Octavian Morariu of Romania, candidature as an individual member
-Bernard Rajzman of Brazil, candidature as an individual member
-Mikaela Maria Antonia Cojuangco-Jaworski of the Philippines, candidature as an individual member
-Alexander Zhukov of Russia, candidature linked to his function within an NOC
-Paul Kibii Tergat of Kenya, candidature as an individual member
-Lawrence Probst III of the United States, candidature linked to his function within an NOC
-Dagmawit Girmay Berhane of Ethiopia, candidature as an individual member
-Camiel Eurlings of the Netherlands, candidature as an individual member
-Stefan Holm of Sweden, candidature linked to his function as active athlete
- Brazil eyes 27 to 30 medals at Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt not happy with Tyson Gay’s reduced ban 1
- Gabby Douglas helps girl’s dream come true with Make-A-Wish 0
- Guide to the Commonwealth Games 0
- 90-plus-year-old men set 3 world relay records at USATF Masters 0
- Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics chief quits 0
- Tori Bowie, Justin Gatlin star at Monaco Diamond League meet 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)