U.S. Olympic weightlifter Holley Mangold on ‘The Biggest Loser’

Sep 4, 2013, 8:21 PM EDT

Holley Mangold

Holley Mangold‘s road to the Rio Olympics will go through “The Biggest Loser.”

Mangold, who placed 10th in the super heavyweight division at the London Games, said the NBC weight-loss show reached out to her. Now, she’s a contestant on the series’ 15th season beginning Oct. 8.

“They’ve talked about how I was inspiration for big girls,” said Mangold, 23, in a video on the show’s website (full video below). “I felt like I never got a chance to be the in-shape, smaller girl. I never had that chance. This is kind of like my second chance to do that. I wanted to show all of them you can do it.”

Her starting weight is 351 pounds. She weighed in at 346 pounds at the 2012 Olympics, 60 pounds heavier than anybody else in her weight class, which is set at 165 pounds and over.

“I feel like that was my limiting factor the last run for the Olympics is I was too big for the super heavyweight,” said Mangold, the sister of New York Jets all-pro center Nick Mangold who played high school football. “I needed to be smaller so I could train harder.”

Mangold said being on the show will help her get back to the Olympics in Rio, that she can be better at a smaller weight.

“I think I finally decided now I don’t have to wait to retire before I get in shape,” she said. “I always had this thought that if I lost weight, I wouldn’t be as good of a weightlifter anymore. I plan on going to Rio. I was very nervous about it. I think, after ‘Biggest Loser’ reached out to me, I thought this is a good idea. I can do this and be the great weightlifter I want to be.”

Mangold said she pulled out of the Pan American Championships in June and the World University Games in July to come on the show.

Video: Michael Phelps turns into Lil Jon in commercial

Latest Posts
  1. Meb Keflezighi congratulated by President Obama

Apr 22, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT

Meb Keflezighi AP

How Keflezighi spent the morning after his upset victory.

2. Ryan Hall, other U.S. runners wouldn’t help East Africans catch Meb Keflezighi

Apr 22, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT

Ryan Hall, Meb Keflezighi AP

Americans’ tactic played small role in Keflezighi’s victory.

3. Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski added to NBC’s Kentucky Derby coverage

Apr 22, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT

Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski Getty Images

Sochi figure skating analysts will be fashion experts at Churchill Downs.

4. Apolo Ohno plans to do Ironman World Championships

Apr 22, 2014, 10:11 AM EDT

Apolo Anton Ohno AP

Ohno follows NFL wide receiver, celebrity chef in ambitious attempt.

5. Lance Armstrong’s longtime team manager banned 10 years

Apr 22, 2014, 8:21 AM EDT

Johan Bruyneel AP

Johan Bruyneel guided Lance Armstrong’s teams for all seven stripped Tour de France wins.

6. Emotions flow for runners, spectators at Boston Marathon

Apr 21, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT

Boston Strong AP

“I needed it for healing,” one survivor said.

7. Meb Keflezighi stuns to win Boston Marathon (video)

Apr 21, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

Meb Keflezighi AP

First U.S. man to win Boston Marathon since 1983.

8. 2014 Boston Marathon highlights: American Meb Keflezighi, Kenya’s Rita Jeptoo win (VIDEO)

Apr 21, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT

2014 B.A.A. Boston Marathon Getty Images

Meb Keflezighi made history on an emotional day at the 2014 Boston Marathon by becoming the first American man to win the race since 1983. Watch highlights of the 38-year-old Keflezighi’s victory here, courtesy of Universal Sports: Keflezighi reacts to his historic win and the emotion of winning one year after the Boston Marathon bombing,…

9. Rita Jeptoo repeats as Boston Marathon winner in course record

Apr 21, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT

Rita Jeptoo Getty Images

Shalane Flanagan led early but was dropped around 21 miles.

10. Tatyana McFadden wins another Boston Marathon on special day

Apr 21, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT

Tatyana McFadden AP

Paralympic champion prevails one month after winning silver in Sochi.

11. Security heightened early at Boston Marathon

Apr 21, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT

Boston Marathon AP

Double the police presence from last year.

12. Tedy Bruschi, retired NFL player, running Boston Marathon

Apr 21, 2014, 9:38 AM EDT

Tedy Bruschi Getty Images

Former linebacker ran in 2012 and saw the first bomb from a hotel last year.

13. Boston Marathon starts after moment of silence

Apr 21, 2014, 9:07 AM EDT

Boston Strong

Race starts by honoring those lost and those who saved at last year’s race.

14. Boston Marathon finish line web cam available online

Apr 19, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT

Boston Marathon finish line Getty Images

Watch every runner cross the finish line on Monday.

15. Ryan Hall returns to marathon racing in Boston, by way of Ethiopia

Apr 19, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT

Ryan Hall Getty Images

Two-time Olympian hasn’t run a marathon since the London Games.

16. Boston Marathon to move forward with traditional spectacle of a finish

Apr 18, 2014, 9:41 PM EDT

Boston Marathon

All eyes will be on a changed Boylston Street on Monday.

17. Boston Marathon TV, race schedules

Apr 18, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Boston Marathon finish line Getty Images

Universal Sports will have live coverage and is on a free preview nationwide.

18. Boston Marathon men’s preview

Apr 18, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT

Lelisa Desisa AP

Monday’s race figures to come down to two men.

19. Boston Marathon women’s preview

Apr 18, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Shalane Flanagan AP

An American with Massachusetts ties wants to win.

20. Miracle on Ice hockey player selling his Olympic gold medal

Apr 17, 2014, 1:59 PM EDT

Mark Pavelich medal

Mark Wells previously sold his gold medal, too.

Inside Michael Phelps' comeback