U.S. Olympic weightlifter Holley Mangold on ‘The Biggest Loser’

Sep 4, 2013, 8:21 PM EDT

Holley Mangold

Holley Mangold‘s road to the Rio Olympics will go through “The Biggest Loser.”

Mangold, who placed 10th in the super heavyweight division at the London Games, said the NBC weight-loss show reached out to her. Now, she’s a contestant on the series’ 15th season beginning Oct. 8.

“They’ve talked about how I was inspiration for big girls,” said Mangold, 23, in a video on the show’s website (full video below). “I felt like I never got a chance to be the in-shape, smaller girl. I never had that chance. This is kind of like my second chance to do that. I wanted to show all of them you can do it.”

Her starting weight is 351 pounds. She weighed in at 346 pounds at the 2012 Olympics, 60 pounds heavier than anybody else in her weight class, which is set at 165 pounds and over.

“I feel like that was my limiting factor the last run for the Olympics is I was too big for the super heavyweight,” said Mangold, the sister of New York Jets all-pro center Nick Mangold who played high school football. “I needed to be smaller so I could train harder.”

Mangold said being on the show will help her get back to the Olympics in Rio, that she can be better at a smaller weight.

“I think I finally decided now I don’t have to wait to retire before I get in shape,” she said. “I always had this thought that if I lost weight, I wouldn’t be as good of a weightlifter anymore. I plan on going to Rio. I was very nervous about it. I think, after ‘Biggest Loser’ reached out to me, I thought this is a good idea. I can do this and be the great weightlifter I want to be.”

Mangold said she pulled out of the Pan American Championships in June and the World University Games in July to come on the show.

Video: Michael Phelps turns into Lil Jon in commercial

Latest Posts
  1. Watch Drake Relays, Penn Relays on NBC Sports Live Extra on Saturday

Apr 24, 2015, 3:51 PM EDT

Justin Gatlin Getty Images

Several Olympic champions are in the fields at the two meets.

2. Michael Phelps to move to Arizona with coach Bob Bowman

Apr 24, 2015, 3:50 PM EDT

AP AP

Phelps has followed Bowman to an NCAA stop before.

3. Simone Biles discusses Martha Karolyi’s team selfie, U.S. teammates, more

Apr 24, 2015, 12:24 PM EDT

AP AP

Biles is in the middle of a four-month break from competition.

4. Sled hockey helps Josh Sweeney in his recovery (video)

Apr 24, 2015, 11:09 AM EDT

Josh Sweeney Getty Images

Sweeney and Team USA begin World Championship play Sunday.

5. Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir headed to White House Correspondents’ Dinner, Kentucky Derby

Apr 24, 2015, 10:26 AM EDT

Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski Getty Images

NBC’s figure skating analysts will be visible daily during Kentucky Derby week.

6. New MLB commissioner wants long-term baseball pledge from Olympics

Apr 23, 2015, 4:51 PM EDT

AP AP

But he also shares the sentiment of Bud Selig on MLB participation.

7. Doug E. Doug reflects on ‘Cool Runnings’

Apr 23, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT

Doug E. Doug Getty Images

Doug wasn’t allowed to bobsled while filming, but he recently took his first run.

8. Meb Keflezighi hopes to be an example for Ryan Hall as Olympic trials approach

Apr 23, 2015, 12:29 PM EDT

AP AP

“It depends who you ask,” Keflezighi said of the U.S. Olympic Trials favorite.

9. U.S. Olympic Wrestling Trials to return to Iowa City

Apr 23, 2015, 9:02 AM EDT

Jordan Burroughs Getty Images

Two Olympic champions appear headed for a second Olympics, while a World champion seeks a first Olympic berth.

10. Paul Wylie ‘resting comfortably’ after heart problem

Apr 22, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT

Paul Wylie Getty Images

Wylie had a “heart abnormality while exercising,” his wife said.

11. Nadia Comaneci: Simone Biles’ difficulty is almost equal to men

Apr 22, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT

Nadia Comaneci Getty Images

Comaneci, the subject of a Katie Holmes-directed documentary, discussed current gymnastics topics.

12. Larry Bird, David Ortiz among Boston 2024 board of directors

Apr 22, 2015, 12:21 PM EDT

Larry Bird Getty Images

U.S. Olympic marathon and figure skating medalists are also in the group.

13. Ten sports where Brazil can win medals at Rio 2016

Apr 22, 2015, 11:48 AM EDT

Arthur Zanetti Getty Images

Included are some potential U.S.-Brazil duels.

14. Sweden mulls 2026 Winter Olympic bid

Apr 22, 2015, 9:11 AM EDT

Sweden Getty Images

Sweden scrapped a bid for 2022, and a joint Norway-Sweden bid has also been proposed.

15. Figure skaters recall odd gifts from fans

Apr 21, 2015, 3:51 PM EDT

Figure skating gifts Getty Images

Michelle Kwan, Meryl Davis, Evan Lysacek and more Olympians tell their memorable stories.

16. Runner finishes Boston Marathon on Tuesday morning

Apr 21, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT

Maickel Melamed

The inspirational Maickel Melamed needed 20 hours to finish.

17. True St. Louis Marathon winner breaks tape at Busch Stadium (video)

Apr 21, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

AP AP

Andrea Karl didn’t break the tape on marathon day because another runner jumped on the course late in the race.

18. French Swimming Federation official refutes Amaury Leveaux’s claim

Apr 21, 2015, 9:03 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Leveaux said in a book that team members used cocaine.