U.S. Olympic weightlifter Holley Mangold on ‘The Biggest Loser’

Sep 4, 2013, 8:21 PM EDT

Holley Mangold

Holley Mangold‘s road to the Rio Olympics will go through “The Biggest Loser.”

Mangold, who placed 10th in the super heavyweight division at the London Games, said the NBC weight-loss show reached out to her. Now, she’s a contestant on the series’ 15th season beginning Oct. 8.

“They’ve talked about how I was inspiration for big girls,” said Mangold, 23, in a video on the show’s website (full video below). “I felt like I never got a chance to be the in-shape, smaller girl. I never had that chance. This is kind of like my second chance to do that. I wanted to show all of them you can do it.”

Her starting weight is 351 pounds. She weighed in at 346 pounds at the 2012 Olympics, 60 pounds heavier than anybody else in her weight class, which is set at 165 pounds and over.

“I feel like that was my limiting factor the last run for the Olympics is I was too big for the super heavyweight,” said Mangold, the sister of New York Jets all-pro center Nick Mangold who played high school football. “I needed to be smaller so I could train harder.”

Mangold said being on the show will help her get back to the Olympics in Rio, that she can be better at a smaller weight.

“I think I finally decided now I don’t have to wait to retire before I get in shape,” she said. “I always had this thought that if I lost weight, I wouldn’t be as good of a weightlifter anymore. I plan on going to Rio. I was very nervous about it. I think, after ‘Biggest Loser’ reached out to me, I thought this is a good idea. I can do this and be the great weightlifter I want to be.”

Mangold said she pulled out of the Pan American Championships in June and the World University Games in July to come on the show.

Video: Michael Phelps turns into Lil Jon in commercial

Latest Posts
  1. Wallace Spearmon fails drug test, banned 3 months

Sep 19, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT

Wallace Spearmon Getty Images

Spearmon lost a 2008 Olympic medal due to disqualification and finished fourth in the 2012 Olympic 200m.

2. Viktoria Komova out of World Gymnastics Championships, report says

Sep 19, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT

Viktoria Komova Getty Images

Komova won Olympic all-around silver behind Gabby Douglas.

3. South Korea hockey teams given spots in 2018 Olympics

Sep 19, 2014, 8:49 AM EDT

South Korea hockey Getty Images

There was concern Olympic host nation wouldn’t be able to qualify in hockey.

4. Carolina Kostner skips hearing in ex-boyfriend’s doping case

Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 AM EDT

Carolina Kostner Getty Images

Olympic medalist skater could be called in for later hearing.

5. Jens Voigt bikes 31.7 miles in 1 hour, breaks record

Sep 18, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT

Jens Voigt Getty Images

Three-time Olympian rides into retirement by entering history books.

6. Rio Olympic Village more than 50 percent complete

Sep 18, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT

Rio Olympic Village

Work expected to finish in the first half of 2016.

7. Ato Boldon’s track and field season awards

Sep 18, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT

Justin Gatlin Getty Images

NBC Olympics analyst hands out athlete of the year honors and more.

8. Yelena Isinbayeva set to return to pole vault training, report says

Sep 18, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Yelena Isinbayeva Getty Images

Russian Olympic champion gave birth to daughter in June.

9. Analyzing the U.S. gymnastics women’s World Championships team

Sep 18, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Simone Biles, Kyla Ross Getty Images

Can U.S. win second straight team title despite injuries, absences?

10. Edmonton Oilers hire Olympic pairs champion as skating coach

Sep 17, 2014, 3:38 PM EDT

David Pelletier Getty Images

Canadian from memorable 2002 Olympic pairs competition to coach NHL players.

11. Kaitlyn Farrington, Olympic halfpipe champ, eyes slopestyle at Dew Tour

Sep 17, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT

Kaitlyn Farrington Getty Images

Olympic halfpipe champion is focused on two competitions this season.

12. Curling sculpture unveiled at Olympic Museum (photos)

Sep 17, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT

Curling statue

Curling is the first Winter Olympic sport to have a sculpture in the Olympic Museum park.

13. Paula Radcliffe set for first race since pulling out of London Olympics

Sep 17, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT

Paula Radcliffe Getty Images

World record holder, now 40, could enter two more major marathons.

14. Hicham El Guerrouj, King of the Mile, could still run fast at 40

Sep 17, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT

Hicham El Guerrouj Getty Images

Two-time Olympic champion runs five or six times per week.

15. Shaun White ‘more motivated’ to compete than before Sochi

Sep 17, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Shaun White Getty Images

Two-time Olympic halfpipe champion “more poised” for slopestyle success in 2018.

16. Lolo Jones eliminated from ‘Dancing with the Stars’

Sep 17, 2014, 8:41 AM EDT

Lolo Jones Getty Images

Jones posted she had “flashbacks of the three Olympics and that people constantly tease me about.”

17. Rio Olympic ticket prices start at about $20 in Brazil

Sep 16, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT

Rio 2016

More than 7.5 million tickets will be available for the Games.

18. Kohei Uchimura’s mother competes in gymnastics meet

Sep 16, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT

Kohei Uchimura Getty Images

Shuko Uchimura hadn’t competed in some 30 years, according to Japanese report.