Sep 3, 2013, 1:23 PM EDT
Diana Nyad isn’t done swimming. Not even close.
Nyad, 64, completed her journey from Cuba to Florida on Monday, becoming the first person to swim the 100-plus miles without a shark tank. In October, she’s heading to New York for another unique feat.
Nyad plans to swim in a pool set up in Manhattan’s Herald Square for 48 straight hours to raise money for Hurricane Sandy relief. She’ll do it Oct. 8-10, around the one-year anniversary of the storm hitting the Northeast. Her Cuba-to-Florida swim took about 53 hours.
“After the jellyfish and the ocean, that will be a piece of cake,” Nyad said on TODAY. “I’m going to invite all kinds of notable New Yorkers to swim next to me.”
The event is called “Nyad 48″ and was originally scheduled for May. The 50-meter pool is made by Myrtha, which designed the pools for the last three U.S. Olympic Trials and the 2011 and 2013 World Championships, according to Swimming World.
May 30, 2015, 1:17 AM EDT
The Diamond League meet continues Saturday on NBC, NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra.
May 29, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
“It was scary, but I was lucky.”
May 29, 2015, 2:42 PM EDT
Kipsang also provided his plan for racing the rest of the year.
May 29, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
The Prefontaine Classic will remember the distance running icon Friday and Saturday.
Dara Torres picks greatest female swimmer(s) of all time, recalls teenage Michael Phelps, more in Q&A
May 28, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
Torres’ daughter now swims and looks up her mom’s races on YouTube.
May 28, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
The competition will be live on NBC, NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra on Saturday and Sunday.
May 28, 2015, 9:16 AM EDT
Ross spoke with FIVB about the pair’s prospects for the near future.
May 27, 2015, 4:01 PM EDT
Several of the top U.S. contenders for World Championships medals will be in action.
May 27, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
Cain must be in top shape one month from now for the biggest domestic meet of the season.
May 27, 2015, 11:51 AM EDT
Walsh Jennings has a history of shoulder problems.
May 27, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT
Uhlaender isn’t finished with her sliding career, though.
May 26, 2015, 2:54 PM EDT
Also, Asafa Powell won a 100m race.
May 26, 2015, 8:13 AM EDT
She may change coaches after the World Championships.
May 23, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT
Nathan Adrian’s biggest rival in the 100m freestyle could still be an Australian.
May 22, 2015, 3:44 PM EDT
The 2000 Olympic champion continues to struggle with weight loss.
May 22, 2015, 10:40 AM EDT
“We’re not baking cakes.”
May 22, 2015, 9:57 AM EDT
“We want to rebuild the arena of the Colosseum so that the athletes can be lifted in like the gladiators in the Roman times.”
May 22, 2015, 9:25 AM EDT
The U.S. won “Beat the Streets” 9-4.
May 21, 2015, 11:49 AM EDT
Skaters, skiers, gymnasts, track and field athletes and more.
May 21, 2015, 9:18 AM EDT
Russia ceded its place as top challenger to the U.S. in recent Olympics.
- Dara Torres picks greatest female swimmer(s) of all time, recalls teenage Michael Phelps, more in Q&A 1
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross withdraw from Moscow Grand Slam 0
- Prefontaine Classic preview, schedule, broadcast info 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings injures shoulder, forfeits match 0
- Katie Uhlaender, skeleton World champion, becomes track cyclist 0
- Missy Franklin returns to Colorado, coach Todd Schmitz 1
- Rulon Gardner on returning to wrestling training, getting his gold medal back 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)